Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By iiipopes
Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Bobby shew jazz mouthpiece in the Equipment forums; Does anyone else here play on a bobby shew jazz mouthpiece? It's the yamaha one which is similar to a ...
    Pianissimo User

Bobby shew jazz mouthpiece

Does anyone else here play on a bobby shew jazz mouthpiece? It's the yamaha one which is similar to a 3c. I have been playing it regularly recently and can't quite get my head around it. I love the sound I get from it but i have to really fight to keep in tune between 3rd space C and the F# above that. Tuning is fine throughout the rest of my usable range up to F above high C. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Re: Bobby shew jazz mouthpiece

What horn are you playing?

Measure your gap.(distance between shank end of MP and the lip at the end of your receiver). I will bet it is way too small or big.

v

Pianissimo User

I thought about that as well but it seems to be the same on both my horns and my friends pocket trumpet! I play a Holton t102 and a 8310z

Pianissimo User

I was thinking it could be the backbore as I used to play on a 3c and it does feel quite different.

I would keep at it. What is happening in the range where you are having issues - flat or sharp (or both)?

Pianissimo User

The notes are flat. I think it may well just be that I have to take more time to adjust to the change from the 3c.

I know - zombie thread - but I had to comment. I found this thread looking for narrative about the Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz mouthpiece. I don't know about the f or f# the OP describes, but everything from 3rd space c# to 4th space e is in the 5th partial range, which are naturally flat compared to an instrument with equal temperament, like keyboards or guitar/bass fretted instruments.

And yes, as I have experimented with different throats and backbores, tuning can really do strange things if the throat, backbore and gap are not coordinated to the player. For me, personally, for example, a larger diameter throat causes my upper mid to upper range to go flat, because I no longer have the breath support I had as a young man. For those who still have top-notch breath support, it could go sharp. But too tight a throat will cause intonation errors as well. My trumpet tech is a player as well as a tech, so he checks my horn for cork/felt compression and receiver wear annually. I send it with him so he can play it at a couple of his gigs, and tell me what it needs. I would encourage the OP, if he is still around and having problems, to find a good teacher and tech and get them to coordinate to check out the entire system, from proper breathing to mouthpiece specs to horn maintenance. A pinhole leak at the wrong place, or a water cork that does not seat properly, will also cause strange tuning problems that may not manifest in the traditional ways of fuzzy or stuffy notes or tones.

Forte User

I would hope the OP resolved the issue 4-5 years ago and doesn't need a tech or teacher at this point. And if s/he has just struggled all this time s/he is probably just Irish and will live with it being a problem forever
    They're not problems they're opportunities
    I could list my horns but I can't pick an order

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis78 View Post
    I would hope the OP resolved the issue 4-5 years ago and doesn't need a tech or teacher at this point. And if s/he has just struggled all this time s/he is probably just Irish and will live with it being a problem forever
    True. But the real reason for my reply is that, having played trumpet through school and college, then on and off since 1973, I am amazed at the number of players who don't know the basic intonation issues that are elemental to the instrument. Oh, just the thought of when I was back in school with the section playing in octave d's between the 1st and 3rd stands still stands the hair up on the back of my neck!
    Kang-Ling likes this.

Thread Information