Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Bobby shew jazz mouthpiece in the Equipment forums; Does anyone else here play on a bobby shew jazz mouthpiece? It's the yamaha one which is similar to a ...
    Pianissimo User

Bobby shew jazz mouthpiece

Does anyone else here play on a bobby shew jazz mouthpiece? It's the yamaha one which is similar to a 3c. I have been playing it regularly recently and can't quite get my head around it. I love the sound I get from it but i have to really fight to keep in tune between 3rd space C and the F# above that. Tuning is fine throughout the rest of my usable range up to F above high C. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Re: Bobby shew jazz mouthpiece

What horn are you playing?

Measure your gap.(distance between shank end of MP and the lip at the end of your receiver). I will bet it is way too small or big.

v

Pianissimo User

I thought about that as well but it seems to be the same on both my horns and my friends pocket trumpet! I play a Holton t102 and a 8310z

Pianissimo User

I was thinking it could be the backbore as I used to play on a 3c and it does feel quite different.

I would keep at it. What is happening in the range where you are having issues - flat or sharp (or both)?

Pianissimo User

The notes are flat. I think it may well just be that I have to take more time to adjust to the change from the 3c.

New Friend

I know - zombie thread - but I had to comment. I found this thread looking for narrative about the Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz mouthpiece. I don't know about the f or f# the OP describes, but everything from 3rd space c# to 4th space e is in the 5th partial range, which are naturally flat compared to an instrument with equal temperament, like keyboards or guitar/bass fretted instruments.

And yes, as I have experimented with different throats and backbores, tuning can really do strange things if the throat, backbore and gap are not coordinated to the player. For me, personally, for example, a larger diameter throat causes my upper mid to upper range to go flat, because I no longer have the breath support I had as a young man. For those who still have top-notch breath support, it could go sharp. But too tight a throat will cause intonation errors as well. My trumpet tech is a player as well as a tech, so he checks my horn for cork/felt compression and receiver wear annually. I send it with him so he can play it at a couple of his gigs, and tell me what it needs. I would encourage the OP, if he is still around and having problems, to find a good teacher and tech and get them to coordinate to check out the entire system, from proper breathing to mouthpiece specs to horn maintenance. A pinhole leak at the wrong place, or a water cork that does not seat properly, will also cause strange tuning problems that may not manifest in the traditional ways of fuzzy or stuffy notes or tones.

Mezzo Piano User

I would hope the OP resolved the issue 4-5 years ago and doesn't need a tech or teacher at this point. And if s/he has just struggled all this time s/he is probably just Irish and will live with it being a problem forever
    1958 holton symphony b47
    1952 holton collegiate
    late 70's-early 80's t602 collegiate
    highly modded cecilio tt380gb (faux-ca bell)
    1948 king artist model barritone
    1937 E.K. Blessing artist model cornet
    1963 Holton Collegiate cornet

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis78 View Post
    I would hope the OP resolved the issue 4-5 years ago and doesn't need a tech or teacher at this point. And if s/he has just struggled all this time s/he is probably just Irish and will live with it being a problem forever
    True. But the real reason for my reply is that, having played trumpet through school and college, then on and off since 1973, I am amazed at the number of players who don't know the basic intonation issues that are elemental to the instrument. Oh, just the thought of when I was back in school with the section playing in octave d's between the 1st and 3rd stands still stands the hair up on the back of my neck!

Thread Information