Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss cheap homemade mute experiments in the Equipment forums; I am sitting here late at night thinking over a glass of scotch, itching badly to play my newly acquired ...
    New Friend

cheap homemade mute experiments

I am sitting here late at night thinking over a glass of scotch, itching badly to play my newly acquired horn but unable to because of the noise at this time, and began to wonder about using things like an empty pop can for a mute. Or possibly crimping a piece of aluminum foil over the bell to produce some sort of effect .

I tried to search for any kind of information of people doing this on the internet and surprisingly came up with nothing, not even failed attempts. I couldn't possibly be the first person to think about putting a sheet of foil over the end of your trumpet, was wondering if anyone has any experience with this or has heard of anything similiar. I'm gonna try it first th ing in the morning and I'll let yall know how it goes.

Re: cheap homemade mute experiments

A sock works well

Forte User

Better yet a sock in the cup of a cup mute works real well.

Pianissimo User

a while back, Budwiser had some one pint aluminum bottles in red (regular) and blue (light)....came in a 4 pack for like $9-10.00..add some mute cork...$3.00 or valve cover
    gasket pieces and you have 4 mutes you can drill holes in to experiment and get the sound you want.....all for less tha $15.00 (they actually sounded decent)

New Friend

I' wasn't necessarily thinking of trying to dampen the sound at all, I was just thinking of producing different effects.. But after hearing a sock in a styrofoam cup it sounds like it might allow me to play some late night sessions out in the detatched garage without killing the neighbors too much. I bought a 48 Conn 12b at a thrift store and am in the process of cleaning it up and just learning everything as it is my first wind or brass instrument, so I'm not exactly capable of hitting notes softly yet. Good ideas, keep em coming!

I saw this young man's video, built a few of these mutes, and they work quite well. You can also make some of your adjustments to decrease or increase the amt of sound that comes out of your horn -->

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avYx6X8cK_s]YouTube - How to make a trumpet mute out of a renuzit air freshener[/ame]

Pianissimo User

Bruin:
    Great video. You got to love innovation.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbill00 View Post
    a while back, Budwiser had some one pint aluminum bottles in red (regular) and blue (light)....came in a 4 pack for like $9-10.00..add some mute cork...$3.00 or valve cover
    gasket pieces and you have 4 mutes you can drill holes in to experiment and get the sound you want.....all for less tha $15.00 (they actually sounded decent)
    I've never been a fany of any commercially available practice mute, mainly because most of them add more resistance than I want to deal with, but I'm going to keep my eye out for those and see what I can do with them if I find them. I seem to recall that the aluminum bottles are thicker and tougher than aluminum cans. Makes me wonder about turning one into a straight mute too, rather than just a whisper mute.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

A while back I saw how to make a straight mute out of an aluminum beer bottle on Nick DeCarlis's Vintage cornet website, but he has since removed it. I'll bet he'd email directions if someone asked nicely, though. I've been wanting to try that one myself! :)
    Adams A1, satin gold lacquer, 0.55 (and it's twin in clear lacquer)
    Adams F2, gold brass bell 0.55
    Yamaha 8335RGS (Navy horn)
    Reeves V Raptor
    50's Calicchio
    Marcienkewicz Rembrandt flugel (for sale! Contact Trent Austin for details)
    Schilke P5-4
    French Besson Classic C
    Yamaha 761 Eb/D
    Weril Regium Eb/D (for sale soon)
    vintage Benge pocket trumpet
    Austin Custom Brass mouthpieces

More news to come!

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetman41 View Post
    Bruin:
    Great video. You got to love innovation.
    Definitely. The crazy part of this is, you can buy Renuzit air fresheners for about a buck at some discount stores, you can modify them in different ways to get more of a straight mute sound by just messing around with the length of the plastic plug, add the Kleenex to mute your horn even more, and this system works just as well as my $30 Brass Spa practice mute. And, for the OP, he can add whatever else he wants to get more interesting sounds, including that foil that others referred to.

There's another guy who builds some very good mutes using a Mtn Dew soda can and a Budweiser beer can -->

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spdDfBcAlfM]YouTube - Bud-stock trumpet mute[/ame]
    1964 Conn Connstellation 38B
    Kanstul KTR-700S
    Jupiter 846S flugelhorn
    Charles Colin Pocket Max trumpet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information