Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Constellation mouthpiece in the Equipment forums; I have a 28B Constellation trumpet that came without a mouthpiece. I recently picked up a 7B-N Constellation mouthpiece to ...

Constellation mouthpiece

I have a 28B Constellation trumpet that came without a mouthpiece. I recently picked up a 7B-N Constellation mouthpiece to go with it. I know.... the horn probably came from the factory with something a little more standard line issue. However, got to reading at the Conn Loyalist site and this mouthpiece must have been top of the line back in the 60's. The Conn sales pitch said among other things:

(From the Conn Loyalist Site)
    Connstellation - the first cup mouthpiece design "break-through" in years. A mouthpiece manufactured with incredible precision, far in excess of all previous standards. One that, for the first time, scientifically matches critical dimensions of the rim, cup, orifice length and back bore taper. The result is a new degree of control and flexibility. Plus rigid uniformity from mouthpiece to mouthpiece.
    Conn's precise dimensional matching also helps to balance tone in all registers, simplify phrasing, increase endurance and range. And the logical coding system greatly simplifies personal selection. Connstellation cup mouthpieces are double plated; heavy silver plate with pure gold overlay.
    Performer can now attain a new height in tonal beauty... with the unique Connstellation Mouthpieces!

I'm happy with it. But I'm a pretty rank amateur trumpet player and the difference between ok and very good is lost on me. So how would it stack up to "professional" mouthpieces of today, do you think?

Last edited by Niner; 06-21-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Fortissimo User

Re: Constellation mouthpiece

If you are happy then then that is the main thing. Don't buy into snake oil mouthpiece sales men (Says he who loves his assymetrics. But they genuinely suit my embouchure). If it works fo r you stick with it and stay away from the mouthpiece safari.
    Andrew Sapcote

Yamaha 4335 GSII Trumpet
    Conn Victor Cornet
    Weltklang Rotary Trumpet
    DEG Signiture Cornet Silver Plate
    B and S Sonora Trumpet
    Besson Brevete Flugel Horn
    BM Champion Trumpet
    Mayflower D/Eb Trumpet
    Saving up for a Flugel.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar

Conn did lots of R&D back in the day, including mouthpieces. I'm guessing the Connstellation mouthpiece fits the Connstellation trumpet quite nicely.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Wow , with all those magnificent qualities i wonder what it would do in a ordinary horn like a Conn 15 B or a 18 B

Dean_0
    Date ? Cousenon Flugelhorn-#747**
    1929 Holton model 48
    1940 22B Conn NYS late model
    1956 18B Conn Director Coprion
    1967 15B Conn Director (my first)

That 28B most likely came with a Conn Precision 4 or 5. The Connstellation mouthpieces were introduced about 1962 and were based on the Improved Precision mouthpiece design.
    Before the Connstellation mouthpieces the Harry Glanz Conn mouthpieces were at the top of the Conn mouthpiece design. It is quite difficult to find them but occasionally one pops up. I have a Harry Glanz 9M trumpet piece and a Harry Glanz 4M cornet piece.
    I think I read that Harry Glanz worked with Conn from about 1938 - 1958, so one of his pieces might be a more period correct upgrade piece for your 28B. But that Connstellation piece will work as well or better.

Tom Hodges
    1921 Conn Victor New Wonder
    1923 Conn 22B New York Symphony
    1941 Conn 36A Concert Grand
    1946 Conn 80A
    1949 Conn 2B New World Symphony
    1958 Conn 18A Director coprion
    1966 Conn 28A Connstellation

Mezzo Forte User

Look at vintage Monette mouthpieces and vintage Conns. Also Olds style mouthpieces. The backbores might be different but the cup profiles and weights are similar.

Quote Originally Posted by harleyt26 View Post
    That 28B most likely came with a Conn Precision 4 or 5. The Connstellation mouthpieces were introduced about 1962 and were based on the Improved Precision mouthpiece design.
    The stock mp was the Precision CONN 4 which is the one that would have been in your 28B case when the horn was new, unless the dealer changed it for you. When the 38B came out in 1956, for some reason it was mated with an Improved Precision CONN 5. When the Connstellation pieces came out the stock piece was the 7B-N for all Connstellation trumpets including the Sixty-B Super Connstellation. For all other models it remained the ubiquitous CONN 4.

My 28B has a serial number of 519362 which I think would make it about 1955. The two tone gold/silver Constellation mouthpiece looks a bit more snazzy than the plainer looking Precision 4. But....whatever the actual quality level.... it plays comfortably for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Niner View Post
    But....whatever the actual quality level.... it plays comfortably for me.
    Absolutely! I have all my old Connies matched with appropriate pieces, but I don't play them. My piece of choice is a Schilke.

Quote Originally Posted by Bochawa!!! View Post
    My piece of choice is a Schilke.
    Scandalous!!!

How does the 7 B-N play on your 60B? I've been curious since my Jet-Tone fits great in my 60B but touches or wobbles in everything else!
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information