Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Curry mpc with a bach blank in the Equipment forums; I have started using a Curry 3c in place of my bach 3c and find the rim more comfortable and ...
    New Friend

Curry mpc with a bach blank

I have started using a Curry 3c in place of my bach 3c and find the rim more comfortable and playable. However, my teacher and another pro who helped me A/B them found the bach sound was more resonant. I tested on both a schilke B5 and an LA Benge 5x with the same result.

I had the gap for both mpc checked and they were fine in both horns.

Would a bach blank make a difference with the curry rim? I'd really like to stick with the Curry but still have the sound I want. Or is it a matter of adapting over a longer period of time ?

Your thoughts most welcome!

Re: Curry mpc with a bach blank

Gap will be a bit different, otherwise there should not be a discernible difference.
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My question to you would be, how different is the sound? Is it so different that using the Curry is out of the question? Is the sound close enough that practice might be able to overcome most of whatever differences there might be between the sounds?

I recently went through a mouthpiece change with the party band I play with. I went from a Schilke 14A4 to a Warburton 4SVW with a KT backbore. Initially the Warburton felt tighter, and from sound perspective was a bit more "zippy" (for want of a better word) but the advantages I gained from it were enough that I decided to deal with the sound difference. My accuracy was better, my range was largely unaffected, (I lost about a step initially, but I gained it back and my upper register became easier) intonation was better, and above all, my accuracy was greatly improved. That was the main reason I decided to look into a different mouthpiece.

Now, several months down the road into this mouthpiece, the fullness of sound I'd lost has mostly returned, and my bandleader, mixing down some live recordings for demo purposes described my horn sound as "fabulous" for the kind of music we play.

I was willing to compromise a bit on the sound in order to keep the other advantages the new mouthpiece brought, mainly because the sound I get from the new setup isn't inherently bad in any way, it's simply different than what it was.

The bottom line to my ramble is that you'll have to decide for yourself whether or not the difference in sound is worth the other advantages the curry mouthpieces gives you. You describe the sound of the 3C as being more resonant, but is it really that much different? Also, try contacting Curry. He may have a tweak for your situation that will make it so you can maintain the comfort and playing advantages, but open up the sound a bit.
    True Tone likes this.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

For me at least, Curry mouthpieces are far more comfortable and easier to play,
    and all of the 3 size mpcs I have got yield a tone that is more focused, clearer and more colourful
    than on any Bach mpc I have tried.
    Maybe it is just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    Also, try contacting Curry. He may have a tweak for your situation that will make it so you can maintain the comfort and playing advantages, but open up the sound a bit.
    Good luck with that - it is close to impossible to reachMark Curry,
    it has not worked for the last months for me even!
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Maybe that's changed recently - there was a time where if you emailed him he'd get back to you within a day or two.
    ConnDirectorFan likes this.
    Patrick Gleason

Two threads here:
    Firstly:
    If communication does not seem to work, try a different medium. Fax instead of email. Phone instead of fax. etc etc etc. Companies need customers in order to stay in business; I am sure they want to hear from and deal with you.

Secondly:
    The outside shape of a mouthpieces (the so-called blank) has a great affect on how a mouthpiece plays/sounds/feels. Realize that you are moving brass mass from one place to or from another. This not only affects resonances but also affects the flow of heat (as in a heat sink). The different speed of heat leaving the rim gives a different feel to the player. So, just putting rim A on mouthpiece B will not necessarily make it feel like mouthpiece B.
    Ivan Hunter
    Trumpet Designer and Builder
    www.JaegerTrumpets.com
    Performance and Tuition - Design, Modification and Repair
    Jaeger Trumpets, Cornets and Mouthpieces

Please do not attempt any repairs unless you have appropriate technical proficiency

Executive Director
    www.RecreationalMusician.com
    Bringing Music back into the Home
    Catering for the Comeback Player

Ivan has hit the nail on the head.
    I have tried Curry mouthpieces and have found his standard blank does not feel right to me. Something is missing.
    Bach blanks are copied for a very good reason. This doesn't mean other blanks are wrong, it just seems Bach found
    a very solid compromise in where the mass is placed.
    Rich T.

Quote Originally Posted by richtom View Post
    Ivan has hit the nail on the head.
    I have tried Curry mouthpieces and have found his standard blank does not feel right to me. Something is missing.
    Bach blanks are copied for a very good reason. This doesn't mean other blanks are wrong, it just seems Bach found
    a very solid compromise in where the mass is placed.
    Rich T.
    I'd submit that Bach created his blank the way he did because he liked the way they looked, and it had almost nothing to do with how it was going to resonate based on where the mass was placed, which is beside the point that Bach blanks today are significantly different than the original mouthpieces made by Vincent Bach.

BachLoyalist.com - Mouthpiece Variations

This would be similar to the fact that in the early years of Martin guitars, all changes made to the way the instruments were made had to do with dealing with an engineering problem and had nothing to do with tone, yet the myths continue to persist about this ifs, ands, whys or buts for why the bracing is done the way it is, etc, etc, etc.
    Patrick Gleason

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post

This would be similar to the fact that in the early years of Martin guitars, all changes made to the way the instruments were made had to do with dealing with an engineering problem and had nothing to do with tone, yet the myths continue to persist about this ifs, ands, whys or buts for why the bracing is done the way it is, etc, etc, etc.
    When I had my mouthpiece design finalized, my engineering person wanted to make a change to facilitate manufacture. I resisted for months, but then said "OK put a few samples together".

THEY PLAYED BETTER!
    Ivan Hunter
    Trumpet Designer and Builder
    www.JaegerTrumpets.com
    Performance and Tuition - Design, Modification and Repair
    Jaeger Trumpets, Cornets and Mouthpieces

Please do not attempt any repairs unless you have appropriate technical proficiency

Executive Director
    www.RecreationalMusician.com
    Bringing Music back into the Home
    Catering for the Comeback Player

Patrick, I see what you're saying, but Bach was brilliant engineer and player himself who had the ear of the best players around and was constantly tweaking things. I would be willing to bet he changed designs with the input of many of these players.
    Here is a link to the Bach Loyalist. BachLoyalist.com - Everything about Vincent Bach Instruments!
    There is an article with photos about the mouthpieces, but there is really nothing about why the designs evolved. There are also some interesting links, too.
    Rich T.
    True Tone likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information