Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Does anyone else have problems getting mutes to play in tune in the Equipment forums; Does anyone else have problems getting mutes to play in tune? My jo ral bubble mute seems to be really ...

Does anyone else have problems getting mutes to play in tune

Does anyone else have problems getting mutes to play in tune? My jo ral bubble mute seems to be really sharp, as does my H & B 'Pixie'. Now, is this something to do with filing the corks, or am I simply just doing something wrong! Also what is the best way to play a cup or straight mute into a mic? Cheers!
    Tom.
    Eclipse Artist

Lecturer in Jazz @ Royal Conservatoire of Scotland

Eclipse LS
    Eclipse XLR
    Eclipse Red bell Flugel

www.facebook.com/tom.macniven

www.eclipsetrumpets.com

The Scottish National Jazz Orchestra - www.snjo.co.uk

Fortissimo User
    I have been told, for what it's worth (which, when combined with $0.35 will allow you to buy a local pay phone call anywhere in Canada) is that a straight mute tends to throw "sharp", a cup mute is alleged to make a trumpet go flat, and a harmon mute is essentially unpredictable.

My EXPERIENCE is that a straight mute might go sharp a little (I'm using a Denis Wick straight), but adding cork to cause the mute to extend outwards a little will keep it pretty close. A cup mute (Denis Wick adjustable and Humes & Berg stonelined) doesn't seem to really change the tuning all that much for me. A Jo-Ral bubble mute virtually has no effect whatsoever on my trumpet! (Unlike a "harmon" brand Wah wah mute which made the trumpet go so sharp that it was a joke).

I can understand a straight mute making some notes go sharp... creating an artificially shortened wavelength. I would have thought that a cup mute would do the same... I know that I was exceptionally pleased with the intonation of the Jo-Ral bubble and think that this mute is well worth the price.

I do have an issue with mutes in section, however. Our section leader is constantly telling us to lip down or pull out when we use a mute (regardless of what kind of mute); yet I know that my tuning stays very centered. I think that the ones complaining about tuning should be paying more attention to corking THEIR OWN mutes so that the section intonation doesn't take off from the rest of the band. Am I wrong in this?
    Juarez-MA likes this.

Piano User
    I think it really varies player to player on this issue. I know some people that are constantly moving their tuning slides to "adjust" for different mutes. I don't have any major problems with any of mine, pixie through harmon. My straight mutes play normal (Marcus Bonna, Tom Crown, and Yamaha), and my Wick cup is normal too. I have an old copper Harmon brand harmon mute and it might tend to be a little sharp, but I don't move my tuning slide for it.

I have also played in bands where the leader was real picky about mute intonation with moving your tuning slide and such. I just had to play and show him that I can actually play in tune without moving the slide.
    Eric Sperry
    www.ericsperry.com
    1967 Bach 37
    1940s King Liberty 2B
    2010 Bach Philadelphia
    1978 L.A. Benge Piccolo
    1980s Callet New York Flugel
    1960s Olds Ambassador Cornet

Mute Intonation

I just purchased a new straight mute from WW/BW and there was information on the side of the box RE intonation and how to change it so it plays in tune for your horn. I am trying to remember this as the box is at home. My harmon used to play very sharp and went in the bell too far so it made it sound really soft and not much like a harmon mute. I went to the arts/crafts store and purchased some rubberized tack stuff and built up the "cork" area with this stuff. I first removed the cork and used "Goo B Gone" to get rid of the adhesive that was left. Then I added the first layer. Tested the horn open and mute in. Still sharp, so I added another layer of rubber which is pretty thin stuff. You need to cut this a bit longer so you don't have a gap like I had. The second layer did the trick. The mute sounds better, and plays right on in tune. I then tested my new straight mute and found that the new corks bring it right in tune. I now have to replace the corks on my straight to bring it further out of the bell to get it where it belongs. Bottom line is you need a tuner and some patience, but you should be able to tweak your mutes to play in tune so you don't have to fool with your tuning slide when playing through quick changes in a pit orchestra.

Mitch "The LIP"
    Sethoflagos likes this.
    Kanstul ZKT 1600
    1957 Olds Studio
    Cousesnon Flugel

New Friend

Re: Does anyone else have problems getting mutes to play in tune

Maybe I'm looking at things to simplistically, but if its out of tune just pull out your tuning slide, its not that big of a deal.
    mickvanflugel likes this.
    Conn New World Symphony Bb Trumpet
    Getzen Eterna Bb Cornet
    NYTC Stage 1 California Flugel
    Eclipse Piccolo Trumpet
    ~GR 65 diameter mouthpieces

New Friend

I've only heard people mention 'properly filing the corks' on their mutes- anyone have an idea of what this would be? (I guess I'm looking for a more general standard to aim at and not as much a concrete answer, like 'file it till it's 3/8'' tall')

I always have to pull my tuning slide a fair bit for the Harmon mute. Why that is, I have no idea. Also, I'm looking for a spot where the mute resonates most easily and then I just adjust it as I go ..... it's always a little wonky. It's a tough mute, that's why I use it as my basic practice mute, to get more time on it.

Turtle
    Last edited by turtlejimmy; 03-31-2011 at 12:04 AM.
    Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

www.soundcloud.com/turtlejimmy

I've never, ever worried too much about it. I either pull my slide a bit, or in the circumstances where there simply isn't time, then it's up to my chops and ears to pull it in tune.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

New Friend

Need some advice:
    I've purchased a Jo Ral copper bubble harmon. The mute would not fit/stay in my horn at all since the bell on my trumpet is larger than most.

I bought some foam/rubber material from a crafts store to add cushioning and space around the existing cork, so now there is about 1/8" extra space in addition to the cork. It fits in perfectly now, but it plays very sharp on my horn.

If I changed the material back to cork or tried to have the padding reduced would that maybe bring the pitch down? It's hard to know where the original pitch would have been on the mute since it would never stay in my horn before and I couldn't establish a baseline.

Is there anyone who has had a similar problem and maybe a solution?

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Steve

Fortissimo User

Steve, check into a Humes and Berg Swish-Wah in "large bore":

Humes & Berg 241CLB Stonelined Swish Wha Copper Lb Trpt Mute | Trumpet Mutes | orders@brookmays.com

It will play in tune.

Tom

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes
    http://mmccband.org

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information