Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Does anyone know about the "Ringmute" for trumpet in the Equipment forums; Don't look at the other thread, I was having computer troubles and posted duplicates. Sorry ------------------------------ Anyway, it is supposed ...

Does anyone know about the "Ringmute" for trumpet

Don't look at the other thread, I was having computer troubles and posted duplicates. Sorry
    ------------------------------
    Anyway, it is supposed to give the trumpet a fluegelhorn/ Miles Davis sound. Here's more info on it: TRUMPET MUTE "RINGMUTE" FOR MILES/FLUGELHORN SOUND!!! - eBay (item 120356380848 end time Jan-05-09 14:13:04 PST)

Anyway, my main reason for making this thread was that I had heard someone say this: "Product was as described but you can make one of these from stuff at Home Depot", and that's all I heard. I also heard someone else say: "It's just an expensive piece of insulation.". My question here is how can you make one of these homemade? I can make a homemade bucket mute, straight mute, cup mute, harmon mute, and practice mute: all of which sound pretty close to the real thing, but look too rediculous to use in any group. How can you make a homemade ring mute? The one guys said you can make one from stuff at the home depot (I don't have a home depot in my town, but I do have an ace hardware which is basically the same thing). The other guy said it's a piece of insulation. So what materials would I need to buy? Would I need to buy insulation? Thanks
    Last edited by trumpet_man; 01-03-2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Don't look at the other thread, I was having computer troubles and posted duplicates. Sorry

Re: Does anyone know about the "Ringmute" for trumpet

It looks like a piece of foam cut to fit the bell. It won't make you sound like Miles Davis. Not even close.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons
    www.bobgriermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Grier View Post
    It looks like a piece of foam cut to fit the bell. It won't make you sound like Miles Davis. Not even close.
    I never believed for a second that it would give me a Miles Davis sound or a Fluegelhorn sound, all I'm trying to do is duplicate the mutes sound. But what kind of foam would I use?

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_man View Post
    I never believed for a second that it would give me a Miles Davis sound or a Fluegelhorn sound, all I'm trying to do is duplicate the mutes sound. But what kind of foam would I use?
    Hmm. other foam used in mutes is usually soft/slightly firm with dense cells. as cheap as this stuff is you could get several types and experiment. back in the early 1970s I redid my H & B bucket mute and used an AC filter foam to keep the cotton filler in. Worked great and I still have it.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons
    www.bobgriermusic.com

I've seen on a trombone. Nice jazz smoky sound.
    F. Pérez
    Historical Brass Instruments
    Super-Horns & Custom Trumpets
    www.Baroque-Trumpets.com

Forte User

I might be able to answer the question "What is a RingMute" A ringmute is a patented mute made of acoustic foam and formed into a ring. It is placed on the bell rim only, where many of the highest frequencies are emitted. What the ringmute does is to dampen and darken the brightness of the sound. Miles had a dark sound and the RingMute darkens the sound of the trumpet. Will it make a person sound like Miles? I sure hope not!!! The ringmute will make you sound like yourself with some of the ringing effect taken out. Also, beware, while its true you can purchase the materials to make a ringmute at any local hardware store, you can also purchse all the supplies you need to build a house at any local hardware store. The real devil is in putting the thing together. From the time the raw materials arrive to finished product is a week to 8 days. I use the RingMute for home practice or when playing gigs in rooms that were once only used by cheese eating John denver wanabes playing watered down soft acoustic guitar. chech out ringmutes.com and you can see better what they look like.

Forte User

You got that right!! No mute will make you sound like Miles Davis. And no mute will make your sound not suck if your sound sucks!! However, Miles had a dark sound and the ringmute darkens the sound of the trumpet.
    If you are a bright sounding player like me, then it will be as if someone turned down the treble on your trympet but basically left the volume alone. If you are a dark sounding player, then the ringmute will make your sound even darker. For some, almost flugelhorn-ish. Hope this helps. As I tell people, it's just another way of coloring the sound you already have. Long live jazz trumpet!!!!

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll try to make a homemade version once I have the real one that way I can experiment that way. I was able to find out that the form is open cell urethane foam, so I should be able to find it. Thanks guys.

I like this:

"2)Trumpet players can basically be divided into two types:1. Bright sounding (Maynard-like) and 2.Dark sounding (M.Davis-like)."

Obviously, we never listen to anyone else!
    Last edited by mchs3d; 01-04-2009 at 03:18 PM.
    Selmer Radial Bb (1970)
    Bill Pfund Custom Bb (2013)
    Bach "Chicago" C (2008)
    Thomas C (1990?)
    Vintage 'Lefever' Cornet (1900)
    Schilke Eb Cornet (on loan) (2006)
    VMI Rotary Bb (2007?)
    Scherzer 8111 Bb/A Piccolo (?)
    MPCs:
    Trumpet: Stomvi FLEX 3G VR, Pro Brass 5C
    Piccolo: Laskey Picc
    Cornet: Denis Wick 4
    Sop. Cornet: Schilke 11A4
    Rotary: JK Exclusive 4C

Forte User

OK I'll bite, How do I get a really nice trumpet for free?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information