Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DrDave
Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Giddings and Webster Stainless Mouthpieces... in the Equipment forums; I noticed they are advertising on this site. In light of that (or despite of that), does anyone know about ...
    Piano User

Giddings and Webster Stainless Mouthpieces...

I noticed they are advertising on this site.

In light of that (or despite of that), does anyone know about these mouthpieces? Any users/lovers/haters (based on actual experience, of course)?

They look interesting to me...and I have a fondness and appreciation for stainless, having fabricated with it before (or at least tried to...it's a biatch to work with!) ...Seems like they would have a nice resonance to them.

They also use Titanium, which also is interesting.

Piano User

Re: Giddings and Webster Stainless Mouthpieces...

Wow. No one? Ok then, thoughts?....opinions?.....theories?.....wild ass guesses?

Forte User

I like my Al Cass, My Monette, My GR, mp's. I prefer brass. It is like marriend to your trumpet. I'm not interested in changing what works for me.

SS sounds cool....never tried one though. I'd like a solid silver mouthpiece though or even a solid copper.
    Chuck Cox
    1949 Martin Committee Deluxe
    Mouthpiece(s):
    Schilke 13a4a ( 80% )
    Bach 7C ( 15% )
    Bach 5V ( 5% )

I know a few low brass players that really like them. I haven't heard anything about the trumpet pieces.
    Yamaha Xeno
    '54 Conn 28b Connstellation

Warburton 1MD/Austin Custom Brass A1 Backbore
    Bach 1D (custom rim)
    Austin Custom Brass, Custom Lead Mouthpiece (14A-A1)

"There's no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger & unhappiness"
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

When I play low brass I use LOUD mouthpieces which are stainless steel. They are very comfortable and resonate better, but I'm not so sure on how it works on the trumpet. Plus, you already feel warmed up when you play it.
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart

Forte User

I have two of the G&W's, a 1.25 Helios 144 Medium in polished stainless and a David Hickman model in satin stainless. They're beautifully made, play well, but for one reason or another neither has become anything near a favorite. The feel of the satin stainless really takes some getting used to it, and I still much prefer a polished gold-plated mouthpiece to anything else. I really need to give them some more playing time, as I've been going through a very long comeback process complicated by a full dental reconstruction, and my taste in mouthpieces has changed almost continuously. They're definitely high-quality mouthpieces, just so far not exactly right for me.
    Last edited by ChopsGone; 01-19-2012 at 12:50 PM.
    Vintage Olds and Reynolds and Selmers, yes sir, yes sir, two gazoos full.

Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls, etc.

I need MONTHS to hear if a mouthpiece is good or better. The first impressions are worthless. I don't have months to play around so no chance on me messing around with G&W.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

G and W are excellent mouthpieces from the few that I have seen and worked on. Stainless steel in general does feel and sound different than brass. It can be sticky or slippery, depending on how much oil is on your skin. SST pieces tend to be more responsive than a comparable brass mouthpiece, so they speak very quickly with soft articulation. On the down side they do tend to have a brighter sound and most players find the sound harder to warm up. The increased responsiveness can make them a little more prone to clams if you are not right down the center of the note. Great projection though. Some people really like SST, and some do not care for it at all.
    kingtrumpet likes this.
    Dave Harrison
    (Dr. Dave)
    www.wedgemouthpiece.com
    Carol Brass 506RS Bb, CTR400CS C, CCR688R cornet, CPC7770YLS picc, CPT300LR pocket trumpet
    Blackburn Bb, C, Eb/D, Bb/A Pic
    Harreslons - 907L
    1946 Martin Committee, 1951 Martin D
    Too many other vintage horns to mention
    Wedge B10.5C-25 Delrin top on 25ML SST backbore
    A VERY understanding wife

Quote Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
    G and W are excellent mouthpieces from the few that I have seen and worked on. Stainless steel in general does feel and sound different than brass. ................... The increased responsiveness can make them a little more prone to clams if you are not right down the center of the note. Great projection though. Some people really like SST, and some do not care for it at all.
    my community band is filled with people who only play Bach Strads -- the mpc are divided almost evenly between the wedge and I think a Bach 3C --- so I am the only guy in the band who is different. Most of the trumpet players are in the "retirement" era --- and are resistant to change. Having said that --- I think new materials are awesome --- but my guess is that the younger crowd are the only ones who want to experiment!!!!!!!!!
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Thread Information