Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Marcinkiewicz E12.4 (Ingram) HELP! Please! in the Equipment forums; Re: Marcinkiewicz E12.4 (Ingram) trumpet mouthpiece. I love this mouthpiece for the high energy, commercial performing I do, but am ...
    New Friend

Marcinkiewicz E12.4 (Ingram) HELP! Please!

Re: Marcinkiewicz E12.4 (Ingram) trumpet mouthpiece.

I love this mouthpiece for the high energy, commercial performing I do, but am struggling a little when it comes to softer, more gentle playing, using this piece.
    (Small-group Jazz for instance)

For those who use the Ingram, what mouthpiece do you use for the 'other' stuff?

Bear in mind, there is NOWHERE in Australia to try any mouthpieces, hence the need to ask.

Thank you!

Re: Marcinkiewicz E12.4 (Ingram) HELP! Please!

If nobody else posts anytime soon: Bach 7C's are probably the most common mouthpiece in the world. See if you can find one to try and relate your impressions. The rim might feel too small. If the cup depth works for your tone and the rim isn't too sharp, it's easy to recommend something based on those additional data points. In the meantime, you can try dropping your tongue-arch or even your jaw to darken it up a bit. Where would you be buying from?
    True Tone likes this.
    Bach Strad (1980) 37 w/1st valve trigger
    Buescher True-Tone LP 9 (1926)
    Getzen Eterna (1985) 4-valve flugel
    Bestler valve trombone
    Conn 18H trombone (1964)
    pTrumpet (2016)
    Getzen M2003E Bb/G Field Trumpet (BAA 1st edition)
    Getzen Titleist 2-valve soprano G bugle (1979)
    King K-50 Power Bore 2-valve mellophone G bugle
    Smith Music Sales piston/rotor/slide sop. G bugle
    Getzen Deluxe piston/slide (lock reciever) sop. G bugle
    Ludwig lock-piston soprano G bugle
    Slingerland piston/rotor sop. G bugle

New Friend

Very much appreciate your reply.

I thought a 7E would be a good match (using the Kanstul Comparator), but it's way too deep for my needs.

Apart from going custom, I was hoping someone has found a piece that is only slightly deeper, without the drastic change.

And yes, of course I could play on other sizes and get used to it, but I don't have that luxury of time, nor anyone to hide behind, with the sort of Pro playing I do.

Thank you again and all advice helpful.

you have to learn to back off and use less flesh in the cup. Try do some more btreath attacks and soft legato playing.
    True Tone likes this.
    Nikolay Iliev - trumpet
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Have you checked out Roger's line? One Too Tree - Roger Ingram Line of Mouthpieces The only problem is the diameters are different on each model. If that's a problem, Jim New could always whip you up something, deeper, more open with the same rim as the 12.4. I'm sure he has the specs of the 12.4 already.
    Lead-Line Trumpet Mouthpieces $100. each | James R New He's a great cat and probably won't even mind that your an Aussie Muso. Cha! Best of luck, Lex
    True Tone likes this.
    Mouthpieces: Warburtons, Pickett Vintage MF, Holton MF3, Callet JAZZ mouthpiece - Flugel: Holton MF3 top into screw backbore made by Jim New. Warburton 10WFL, Pickett Vintage MF rim on flugel underpart.
    Trumpets: Carol Blackhawk. Getzen 490. Stomvi Forte pocket.
    Flugel: Manchester Brass pro model
    Www.LexSamu.com

FWIW I got around thi shallow cup thing by playing on a double cup mp (wedge) it is not deeper than any shallow c cup design, but it feels like to me. However, it is an expensive "cheat"
    Nikolay Iliev - trumpet

pss

Hi trumpflug, I had the same question as you, but coming from the other way: I needed a mouthpiece with a bit more punch to cut through a lot of amplified stuff. I'm spare you my little mp safari, but will describe what is working for me now: the Marcinkiewicz E13.8 (Mike Vax 2#) and the Yamaha 11B4. The 11B4 is a middle of the road mp with enough depth to get as dark and intimate as you want. Yamaha produces cheap and good quality mouthpieces, so give it a try, the 11B4 is similar to a 7D I think, but check the comparing tables for inner diameter of the cup.
    One extra thought: for optimum control of the Marcinkiewicz, when practicing insist on pedal tones or at least on something below the stave for those days when things are a bit too squeaky (low G is my favorite, low F being naturally out of tune).
    Profile pic ©Paulo Buchinho (not me)

PSS,

No matter what mp you are using, you gonna have to compete with amplified digital instruments - the only appropriate solution is to get an appropriate level of your mic. Look up to players like Bill Waitrous - ever heard him to try to cut through? He uses amplification to his advantage, so he can play rather softly, which give him more technical freedom and versatility. I tried to compete like you with amplified instruments and I lost; unless of you are in a room where the trumpet is heard anyway and the amplification has limited capacities because of room acoustics...yes, I've done that too - even then pretendto be amplified - put a mic and a cable - the menager cames once (he understood nothing) and asked me to lower the level of my mic (I told the soundman to do so) but the cable was not plugged in. After we "put down" the mic level, the menager was happy
    True Tone and pss like this.
    Nikolay Iliev - trumpet

pss

I need to try the unplugged mic trick :)

I didn't explain my self very well, for starters I'm louder with the 11B4. For the moment I'm dealing with a lot of problems at the same time, and biggest one is still me: I only restarted playing about 1 year ago, still need to work a bit on endurance and my sound is naturally a bit darkish (low endurance/stamina, and the fact the I used to play flugel only doesn't help).
    I can be louder than the other people in the band (minus the drummer and the percussionist when they get loose...) but my choops get warned pretty fast. Also, we will most probably only make it to a stage in a couple of months, so my only acoustic reference for the moment is a small rehearsal room inside a barn, 3 to 4 hours at a time.

My solution for this on the short term (pratice to improve endurance and all the rest is a medium to looong term project, till the rest of my playing days, but that goes without saying): the Marcinkiewicz to brighten my sound a bit and because it's more efficient = increased endurence + a small amp to allow me to play at normal levels when things get wild.

But I still prefer the way I sound with the 11B4.
    Profile pic ©Paulo Buchinho (not me)

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Ljazztrm View Post
    Have you checked out Roger's line? One Too Tree - Roger Ingram Line of Mouthpieces The only problem is the diameters are different on each model. If that's a problem, Jim New could always whip you up something, deeper, more open with the same rim as the 12.4. I'm sure he has the specs of the 12.4 already. Lex
    Yes, thanks. Am aware of this but as you say, the diameter specs are all different, and especially so with the 12.4 Marc.
    Then the price including exchange rate, doesn't rate them any consideration for me - way too expensive.

Jim might be my best bet, as I'm wanting just a tiny bit deeper, to take some of the edge off.

To the other posters, yes, I have the Yamaha 11 series and they COULD work OK, but still too drastic a change for what I'm after.

Thanks everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information