Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Marcus Bonna vs. Wiseman in the Equipment forums; I posted this on TH but I thought I'd bring it here too. It seems to be that the MB ...
    Piano User

Marcus Bonna vs. Wiseman

I posted this on TH but I thought I'd bring it here too.

It seems to be that the MB cases are the better buy. Does anyone else have any thoughts? I'm pretty happy with my Brass Bags triple but I want a case that will hold a trumpet, flugel, and mutes. It would be nice if it also held a second trumpet or cornet but that's not really necessary. All the cases I've seen other than MB and Wiseman either won't hold mutes(sometimes with an extra bag) or are soft and don't offer a lot of protection.

I was waiting to buy a Wiseman because they're expensive and I also wasn't sure if I'd be buying a new trumpet(or flugel) so I didn't want to buy a case with custom inserts if I wasn't settled on my equipment.

Now I see the Marcus Bonna cases. It looks to me like the the quad case is just a strong and way more customizable. I dont need to worry about custom inserts because I can move them myself. I can carry two trumpets, a flugel, and mutes and the triple with do the same(I think) without the second trumpet. If I only want to carry trumpets I can just more the inserts around. And they're about a third of the price!

It looks like the only down side(and it's a small one) is that the MB is 1.5" wider. However, is does hold more stuff WITHOUT an extra mute bag.

Does anyone know the weights of these cases? Which one is heavier?

Am I missing something or should I be placing my order for a MB quad now?

BTW- Are there any MB triple players out there that could measure the outside dimensions of their case for me and also confirm that a trumpet, flugel, and mutes will fit?

Well, I have never seen either case up close. But some professionals I trust rave about the Macus Bonna case. They have been the case to have for years for the french horn player. The quad case looks terrific. And an MB case just cannot be beat for quality and a thought through design.

www.slidebone.com, a TM sponsor, sells them. Irvin is a real nice guy and a professional player in NY. You can see them at http://www.slidebone.com/case.html#MB

Perhaps Irvin will log on and answer your questions. But I can tell you, every time I see the MB cases, I have a problem with "coveting."

Jim
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

MB Trumpet

Folks here is the "411" regarding Marcus Bonna Cases.

Simpy they are the BEST HARD CASES ON THE MARKET.

If you are looking for an extremely versitile case that will accommodate
    trumpet, flugel, piccolo or multiple combination of instruments, look no furhter.

All hand crafted with the highest caliber of quality in Brazil.
    Each case is made to order with many colors available in either cordura or leather.

Each case can accommodate any trumpet. There is ample room to carry
    accessories such as oils, lubes, mouthpieces, pda's, cell phones, etc and even mutes.

Maximum Protection...fiberglass shell !!!!!

Leather trim handles, exterior pocket for music or newspapers and padded backpack shoulder straps with swivel locks.

Many trumpet and trombone players here in NYC have switched over to these cases and are extremely satisfied.

If anyone is interested please feel free to drop me an "e".

Pianissimo User
    A friend bought a Wiseman case over a year ago. She was very excited to get it. I went to her house and looked it over very closely. It was large and heavy. I wouldn't want to lug it through an airport or try to get it in an overhead compartment. She has many horns in different pitches and the case can be configurated to different shapes. The horns appeared to be very well protected. I have been on several gigs with her since then and I have not seen her Wiseman. She usually brings some old ProPac case. I think she mentioned that some of the stitching is coming apart on her Wiseman. I asked why she never used her Wisman and she said she didn't use it when she only needed one horn and some mutes.
    Dave Wisner
    Powell Sig

Pianissimo User
    The MB mutes are also very good! His "small" straight mute is one of the best I've ever tried and is now part of my collection. The MB cases are the best ones I've seen so far. They look fantastic and they're indestructable. Would really like to have one in leather (start saving some money).

Jeroen.

Pianissimo User

Marcus Bonna vs. Wiseman

From what I understand the MB cases are excellent...problem is NOBODY has them...they're having a hard time getting them...it's quite a wait, that is, if it indeed does arrive ANYWHERE near the expected date. Bottom line is ...what good are they if they're, basically, not readily available in the US? Most of us don't mind waiting 6-8 weeks for an exceptional product...but...4, 5, 6 months is ridiculous, IMO! Kind of "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush" type of thing!!! Just my opinion! I will say, however, that slidebone.com is a fantastic person/place to do business with!

Butch
    Kanstul Mariachi Premier
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
    Pieces - Warb. 6ESV top/Black #3 BB - Warb. 6FLM

Re: Marcus Bonna vs. Wiseman

Quote Originally Posted by chetbaker
    From what I understand the MB cases are excellent...problem is NOBODY has them...they're having a hard time getting them...it's quite a wait, that is, if it indeed does arrive ANYWHERE near the expected date. Bottom line is ...what good are they if they're, basically, not readily available in the US? Most of us don't mind waiting 6-8 weeks for an exceptional product...but...4, 5, 6 months is ridiculous, IMO! Kind of "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush" type of thing!!! Just my opinion! I will say, however, that slidebone.com is a fantastic person/place to do business with!

Butch

SlideBone.com offers the full line of MB cases.
    To put it simply.. "These are the best Hard Cases"

Many NYC Trumpet and Trombonists have switched to the MB line.

They offer the best protection with the highest quality craftsmanship.

MB cases are made to order. There are many styles and colors to choose from.

If anyone is interested please feel free to drop me an "e"

New Friend
    I'm late jumping in here, but I'll testify both to the excellence of the MB cases and to Irvin's (slidebone) customer service. I ordered up a double case from him after checking out the triple he had in stock. The wait really wasn't long considering the thing was hand made to order in Brazil. The case is a tank and the fittings are all top-notch. And it's essentially the same size as the ProTec single case I replaced!

Irvin's great to work with & despite the fact he's a solo operation, he's extremely competitive on pricing.

Wiseman Case

I am a new wiseman case owner. After 25 years of being a professional player I have to say that this is the finest case I have ever owned. Earlier this month I was in Europe for an 8 day gig and the case was strong enough to go on top or in the cargo hold of the plane and look great...compact too! Henry is a pleasure to work with, a ture artist of case makers. Yes, their expensive, but it sure is cool owning the very best of something!!!!!

Please use my code and they will give you 10% discount off the price: T624
    Eclipse Custom XLR (Beyond beautiful 24k scratch) gold (05 Eclipse Contest Horn)
    Getzen Genesis (Beautiful 24k scratch gold)
    Wiseman Double Case (10% discount code: T624)
    Monette/Harrelson B1-1 prana custom one off.
    Horns/MPC Cryo'ed at Cryo-parts.com

Thread Information