Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Is Marvel Mystery Oil ok for valves? in the Equipment forums; I personally wonder about using Break-Free, it's good for Army tanks and guns and the chain on my motorcycle, lol. ...
    Piano User

Re: Is Marvel Mystery Oil ok for valves?

I personally wonder about using Break-Free, it's good for Army tanks and guns and the chain on my motorcycle, lol.

But I've got this Al Cass 'fast' stuff I'm using for now.

My grandfather used to spit on his valves to keep them going. I inherited the horn in 1966 and can vouch for the fact that NOT using the right lubricant will shorten the valve life drastically. Valve oil is not that expensive when applied in a sensible fashion, why are we even discussing non-suitable products?
    Check the label: TOXIC, do not ingest. That is good enough for me.
    Actually, have your friend put valve oil in his car. I am sure that 5 quarts of UltraPure would make the engine much faster (for a while anyway.....)

I tried military grade silicone grease once on my valve slides. They were SOOOO smooth. During a gig, I noticed that my valves were very sllloooowwww. The silicone had started to wander in the horn and gummed up the valves. I used a whole bottle of valve oil that night even while completely swabbing out the valves during the breaks. It took 2 weeks of daily bathing and scrubbing the horn to get that stuff out. I will NEVER do something that stupid again. There are proven products for brass instruments. Don't mess with success unless you are prepared to pay the price (the horn, your health, getting invited back to play the next gig).

Do we have any chemists out there that can let us know about interaction between motor oil and brass, solder, nickel silver, silver plate (all stuff NOT found in combustion engines)?
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Piano User

Look, I'm not fool enough to use weird oils, it's my friend. I think it's pretty funny that he'd use marvel mystery oil in there, I offered it but HE's the dork who put it in!

I'm giving him my other bottle of valve oil, once I find it. That's the problem, I couldn't find it, so I got this al cass stuff so the first bottle would turn up (some generic yamaha stuff) but so far I've not found it. When I do, I'll give it to my friend. Meanwhile, he's so far refused the offer of some of the oil I have.

This cornet he has is an old beat up POS he got in a pawn shop for $10 anyway. I'm hoping I can egg him into trading it in (it's an olds ambassador) for this fixed-up Ambassador that's in the music shop.

Hi Eeviac,
    If you really want to give your friend a treat, buy him some Ultra-Pure Professional Valve Oil. Even on a lousy horn, it can make the valves feel quite nice. It may take several uses to strip off the motor oil. I totally agree with the other people who have posted replies -- use a product that is made for the application, and do be aware of warnings on labels, such as toxic, carcinogenic, etc. I have seen many motor oils and greases that say they can cause cancer. They are not supposed to be in contact with skin.
    -Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Eeviac View Post
    I personally wonder about using Break-Free, it's good for Army tanks and guns and the chain on my motorcycle, lol.

I have used Break-Free on slides that have dark indications of corrosion. The stuff smells so I don't keep it on the slide for long. I have used break free for storing horns. I do not use break free on valves.
    "I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

http://cdbaby.com/cd/mcking

Piano User

Hmm, Buy, what a concept. The budget around here does not allow for much of this "buying" thing. Once I get good enough to busk this may change.

guys leave the 10w30 at home.

How do you afford the internet. are you posting from a library?

Hmm, Buy, what a concept. The budget around here does not allow for much of this "buying" thing. Once I get good enough to busk this may change.

I think i would rather use the mystery oil

Piano User

not everyone is paying $100+ a month for the net on the ripoff plan lol.. I'm not paying anything these days.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information