Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Monette Recommend in the Equipment forums; I've been playing trumpet for almost 9 years now, and I've always used a 7C. It's a fine mouthpiece but ...
    New Friend

Monette Recommend

I've been playing trumpet for almost 9 years now, and I've always used a 7C. It's a fine mouthpiece but I'd like to move up and try something new. I was looking at Monette's website and I'm interested in the B7F. I get a fine tone and range from 7C, so I'd say, from what I read, that this would be a good choice. I came on here to see if someone with more knowledge could weigh in..
    I'm mostly playing jazz, along with some smaller brass ensemble work.

Re: Monette Recommend

The only real way to know if it is a good choice is to try it.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

I play on Monette mouthpieces and I can say I am very pleased with them. The sound is superior to any other mouthpiece I have ever played.

Here is the description of the mouthpiece:
    B7F This is a versatile, slightly funnel-shaped mouthpiece that is very efficient. The rim is slightly flat, with a medium inner rim "bite." Great for players who are used to playing a 7C and want a more comfortable mouthpiece that sounds full and exciting and will definitely help their upper register. Can be used in almost any playing situation, including both small group jazz and some lead trumpet applications. Designed for jazz legend Art Farmer.

Sounds like a logical choice to me. Good luck.
    Last edited by jdizzle; 08-08-2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typos
    "If you don't hear it, it won't come out your horn."

Mezzo Forte User

If you're interested, call the Monette shop. They're happy to answer questions and do their best to suggest what might work for you.

Hi Franisco,

You say: "..I get a fine tone and range from 7C..."

Why change? I know some fantastic players who have never changed from a Bach 7C.
    If it works for you, then why change a good formula. It will not be an instant positive change, mouthpiece changes can take months to get the full benefit. I would try a Bach 3C first, a lot cheaper and give you a head change.

BTW I have a bucket load of mouthpieces, Bach, Holton, Schilke, JetTone, Selmer, Yamaha, Giardinelli, Kelly plastics, and Monette, Asymmetric, Wedge.. etc. etc..

Don't get me wrong, these are all good mouthpieces. But don't follow me on the mouthpiece safari if you don't have to....if you have already found a mouthpiece that works, stick with it. WHAT does your Teacher say? What SOUND are you after?

I am sure Dr Dave, Brian Lynch and others would give you the same advice. First understand the sound you want to get. Then go try them. But be fair, the mpc is an investment in change as well, and you need to out the effort in to get the result. There is no magic switch. (Apart from your brain, and the talent to get there)
    Peter
    Schagerl - Killer Queen Flugel
    Schagerl - James Morrison
    Schlub - Dingo Trumpet (The Wildest)
    Jaeger Diamond
    Olds - Clark Terry Flugel
    Olds - Recording Trumpet
    Taylor Chicago 46 Magnum Max
    Martin Committee & a few others

New Friend

The more I look at the Monette's the more I think they're are the direction I need to go. Being able to play in constant pitch center as well as getting a few extra notes on top couldn't hurt. Though as far as the range increase, I think it's going to be a slow road from here on out. I can consistently slot E3's now, so going up more seems like it's going to require a lot of time, new mp or not.
    I'd like to have a clean, relatively bright sound

Hi Franisco,
    In that case, I too agree that you should try the Monette. They are a good mpc, and will most likely give you the results you're seeking; but give them a fair go. And if possible get guidance from the shop before your purchase.
    Cheers
    Peter
    Schagerl - Killer Queen Flugel
    Schagerl - James Morrison
    Schlub - Dingo Trumpet (The Wildest)
    Jaeger Diamond
    Olds - Clark Terry Flugel
    Olds - Recording Trumpet
    Taylor Chicago 46 Magnum Max
    Martin Committee & a few others

Pianissimo User

I have a B7F and tended to switch between it and my Bach 5C. I preferred the B7F overall but missed the more focussed tone I produced on the 5C. A friend lent me his Curry 7C which I found to be the perfect mid point and I subsequently bought my own. I'm really not qualified to be giving mouthpiece advice except to agree with the general advice you see on this forum about not getting caught up in the specs and choosing something that works for you.

And another Aussie chipping in if I may - for the Monette to be useful, I really think that swapping back and forth will really be counter-productive. The way I read David Monettes advice (and the approach I took with my B6) was to absorb myself in the Monette body centering approach and leave the 3C in the case - it has worked well for me, but then you are unique, what worked for me may very well not work for you. Others seem to swap with impunity.
    Ted
    Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

I didn't really have any problems making the transition to a Monette. It was immediately easier and sounded better and has remained so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information