Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Mouthpiece cases in the Equipment forums; hey guys, Anyone have recommendations on mouthpiece cases? I'm looking for a Wolpak style triple case, but WWBW is selling ...

Mouthpiece cases

hey guys,

Anyone have recommendations on mouthpiece cases? I'm looking for a Wolpak style triple case, but WWBW is selling them for almost 40 bucks, so I was wondering if there are any alternatives.

Thanks,
    Jimi

PS. For the record, I don't have a problem paying top dollar for quality products. However, Wolfpak has really let me down the last couple of years. I have a single case that I got a long time ago (made in the USA!) that is doing great, but some mouthpiece cases I've bought recently that are already starting to fall apart.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar

Re: Mouthpiece cases

Hi Jimi!

My Wolfpak triple case is doing great, but it was hand-sown by Kevin Woelfel. Sorry to hear that the quality has gone down since he left. I have an ancient Mouthpiece case from Warburton (our symphony trumpet section "endorsed" them in the last millennium (I was hoping for free mouthpieces). Just your basic 8 mouthpiece pouch, and if one staggers the mouthpieces (limiting it to four) it works just fine. I've carried my Monette ur-mouthpieces in it and my Prana without damage.

I wouldn't advise launching the pouch into orbit with a baseball bat, but it has worked quite well.

Good hunting!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Mezzo Forte User

I think Yamaha makes something similar. I think it's a hard sided thing with some sort of magnetic lid. I saw a prototype a while back...I assume they started making them for real, but I don't remember if it was for three or four.

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar

Jimmie,

Check out Steve Grizzle's mouthpiece pouches.

Steve is the owner of Torpedo Bags.

Torpedo Bags

-cw-
    Last edited by Solar Bell; 05-01-2008 at 08:12 PM.
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Bob Reeves carries nice ones, also - I have a couple of friends who use them. I opt for sewing my own - that works great, too!
    Adams A1, satin gold lacquer, 0.55 (and it's twin in clear lacquer)
    Adams F2, gold brass bell 0.55
    Yamaha 8335RGS (Navy horn)
    Reeves V Raptor
    50's Calicchio
    Marcienkewicz Rembrandt flugel (for sale! Contact Trent Austin for details)
    Schilke P5-4
    French Besson Classic C
    Yamaha 761 Eb/D
    Weril Regium Eb/D (for sale soon)
    vintage Benge pocket trumpet
    Austin Custom Brass mouthpieces

More news to come!

There's a material you can get at a hardware store (insulation maybe? I don't really remember), something rubbery like that and wrap a rubber band around each end and you have the $2 mouthpiece case. Some professor of my teacher always did that because he didn't feel like forking over a bunch of money for a "real" mouthpiece case. I've seen my teacher use it and I'll ask him about it the next time i see him
    Bb: Courtois 305 "Elite", Holton Al Hirt Special (~1966), Benge 3x with Upturned bell (1973)
    C: Bach C180-239 (Akwright conversion),
    Cornet: Conn Wonder (1900)
    Picc: Selmer Paris, ~1971

Hi guys, thanks for the input. I'm really looking for something a little more protective than a mouthpiece pouch. I've been switching over to Prana mouthpieces, and the shanks are incredibly thin. I've been lucky so far, but I don't think I'd want to chance it in a pouch. Although I'm not completely sure, but I think at one point Kevin Woelfel worked with Monette. The WolfPak (and later Rocky Mountain) mouthpiece cases were perfectly designed for Monette mouthpieces--there is no chance of any damage to the shank in one of those cases. Unfortunately, as I said, quality control has gone downhill significantly from the days they were hand made in the states. The Yamaha case looks like a possibility, but I can only find it here.

cw-

I think you mean Steve Kriesel. He's a local guy here in Minnesota. I know he makes pouches, but maybe I'll get on him about something more protective.

bagmangood-

That sounds interesting. Let us know what your teacher says.

Thanks guys,
    Jimi

I have one of those yamaha cases, but don't use it because it takes up too much room in my case. It is very protective though. Let me know if you want it...

Jimi -
    You are correct. Kevin was operations manager for Monette back when the company was in Chicago, before he set out to start Wolfpak and later Rocky Mountain Caseworks.

Why not a Monette mouthpiece case? IMO, they are the best of the Wolfpak/Rocky Mountain style available today. The only drawback is they only come in doubles - is that a constraint for you?
    Matt Dalton

Piano User

How about one of these? It's only a double, but I would think it offers the protection you're looking for.

BrassDeal.com

And for the truly unconventional, I've seen guys do stuff with PVC tubes & caps. Storage for everything from batons, microphones, and even a single mouthpiece and even trumpets (ala Torpedo bags) What do you think?

Garry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information