Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Mr.Curry, you make great mouthpieces!! in the Equipment forums; This post is a thank you to Mark Curry for making great mouthpieces. I play a 1.25 BC Chicago cut ...
    Pianissimo User

Mr.Curry, you make great mouthpieces!!

This post is a thank you to Mark Curry for making great mouthpieces. I play a 1.25 BC Chicago cut for sleeves and it has really changed my playing. I have been playing it for over a year on my Wild Thing and it truly is "the" piece for me. I play all kinds of gigs and this piece can do it all. I have been down the piece trail and played almost everything under the sun. I have had the mouthpiece drawer and I sold them all. I just received another Curry piece that just blows me away. It is a gold plated Curry 60TF and with my WT trumpet, I can really make my trumpet sound halfway between a trumpet and a flugel. I mean, my tone is warm and dark and the intonation is bang on. Even though this piece has a flugel like cup and a short shank, I find that there is no extra effort involved. I had a rehearsal with my jazz quintet and the I received many compliments on my tone with the TF piece. The guys asked me if I was playing the same horn!! I switched between my Curry 1.25 and the TF for different tunes and the TF really takes the edge off. So, a huge thank you to Mark Curry who is obviously a trumpet player who makes pieces for other trumpet players!! If you have not played them, you really owe it to yourself to try them.......Thanks Mark!! 8)

Pianissimo User
    I agree thankyou.

I play on a Curry 3BC. I finally have one mouthpiece that works for both Bb and C.

Curry MP's

Add me to the list of happy Curry players. I think Mark makes great MP's for the $'s and I have found a great match with my horn and the 60M.

Mitch "The LIP"
    Kanstul ZKT 1600
    1957 Olds Studio
    Cousesnon Flugel

Pianissimo User
    Just got my gold plated 1.25Z (Curry) and man, what a great match to my 1.25 Chicago. The Z really offers a great bite to the sound. The sound on this "lead" piece is big, broad and full!! Thanks again to Mark Curry!!!
    Yamaha 8335RG XENO-Silver Matte finish w/
    reverse leadpipe
    Curry 1.25 Chicago w/sleeves
    Curry gold plated 2TF
    Curry gold plated 1.25Z

Re: Mr.Curry, you make great mouthpieces!!

I considered starting a new thread, but when I looked through the TM archives I saw a thread title that expressed exactly what I was trying to say. As some of you on here know, for years I have been unhappy with just about every mouthpiece I put up to my lips. Every rim I ever used was just far too round, or if the rim was flat enough it didn't have enough bite. So I was stuck trying to find a livable balance between a flat rim without enough bite, or a rim with enough bite but was too thin or round. I was then reading an old JazzTimes magazine that had an interview with Ron Miles, Doc Cheatham, Terence Blanchard, and Clark Terry. In the interview, Clark described his mouthpiece as a very flat rim with a sharp bite and a deep cup. FINALLY, someone was describing exactly what I wanted. Then a new problem arose. Clark's mouthpiece was a custom Giardinelli, which you can't get anymore. And being that it was a custom model, that made the mouthpiece very rare, adding in the fact that that mouthpiece would be a valuable piece of memorabilia to any Clark fan, I had about a snowball's chance in h@## of finding one. I still kept looking. Then I got a head's up, from Trent Austin, that Mark Curry had a digital scan of CT's mouthpiece on file. I contacted Mark as soon as I could and after a smooth as glass transaction, I had my new mouthpiece in hand very quickly. I LOVE IT! The rim is what I have been looking for for years. I am now going to see about getting this rim put on some other bottoms to make it more usable for legit things and maybe even picc. I just wanted to publically thank Mark Curry for his great products and customer service, and to concur with Trent, who sings Mark's praises on here often!!

Perry Sutton
    Last edited by bachstrad72; 07-12-2007 at 09:35 PM.
    Perry

Piano User

Lessee,

WT3 cornet, WT3 Flugelhorn,3DC, 3VC, 3C, 3TF, 3TC .... safe to say I am an addict.

Cheers,

Brian
    "Swift Current - where we're neither swift nor current"

Last edited by The BuZZ; 07-13-2007 at 08:53 AM.
    Stage 1: California Light
    Calicchio: Solo Copper 3/9
    Getzen: Eterna Flugel
    GR: 66MX, Zottola: 66 FL
    Assorted Garage Tools

"Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win. Some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins. This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins."
    Dizzy

Quote Originally Posted by The BuZZ View Post
    Hate to stir the waters of malcontent, but I inquired to sir Mr. Curry to make me a piece that resembled my beloved Zottola piece, never received a response!
    Hey Buzz,
    I am sure that it was not malicious. Try again, I am sure that you will not be disappointed!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

I love my 1.5FL for my Kanstul flug! Thanks, Mark.
    Doug Walsdorf
    Schilke B2
    Kanstul 1525
    1927 Conn 22B New York Symphony
    "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
    http://www.myspace.com/schilkeB2
    Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/index.xeml

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by bilboinsa View Post
    I love my 1.5FL for my Kanstul flug! Thanks, Mark.
    I love my 2 series Curry MPs too. Most of the time I have my 2BC in my trumpet. For lead work, I use my 2*. I also have a 2TF that sounds really sweet for intimate jazz solo work on my trumpet.

Question Bilboinsa, what taper is your 1.5FL? I have a standard taper on my 2FL and it doesn't seem to go into my 1525 far enough. It doesn't impact intonation, as far as I can tell. Is your 1525 a "newer" model?

Cheers,
    Shermy
    Kanstul ZKT 1601 TW
    Kanstul ZKF 1525
    Yamaha YTR 6810s
    Bach 37*
    -Curry 2BC, 2FL, 2*, 2TF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information