Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ed Kennedy
Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Mute Usage Chigaco in the Equipment forums; Hey TM, We have started on a production: the musical Chicago, including a lot of jazz :). And I just ...
    Piano User

Mute Usage Chigaco

Hey TM,

We have started on a production: the musical Chicago, including a lot of jazz :). And I just received the first two pieces, which are:

Overture/All That Jazz - Chita Rivera - Chicago: A Musical Vaudeville - YouTube
    Chicago Mr Cellophane Lyrics.wmv - YouTube

Now there's a lot of mute usage, and the second one is all clear to me, but for the first piece I have to choose what I use myself, there are two solo's in there, one in the very beginning and one at 1:50, I'ld say the first one is plunger, the second one harmon? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Gijs Vis
    Yamaha YTR-2335
    Yamaha YFH-631 Work in progress

Don't confuse me with my uncle, the former owner of this account: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f148...ing-73737.html

Re: Mute Usage Chigaco

I agree with plunger and harmon ( with stem removed ) in the first piece. I couldn't make out a trumpet solo at 1:50 in the first piece though. I heard a " fill in " at around 2:47 that was harmon. Plunger and harmon anyway. The mic placement will be important with the harmon as it is hard to get the sound projected with a harmon. See what works best.
    Chuck Cox
    1949 Martin Committee Deluxe
    Mouthpiece(s):
    Schilke 13a4a ( 80% )
    Bach 7C ( 15% )
    Bach 5V ( 5% )

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Cox View Post
    I agree with plunger and harmon ( with stem removed ) in the first piece. I couldn't make out a trumpet solo at 1:50 in the first piece though. I heard a " fill in " at around 2:47 that was harmon. Plunger and harmon anyway. The mic placement will be important with the harmon as it is hard to get the sound projected with a harmon. See what works best.
    Oh, I'm sorry, it was at about 0:50, yes, I've had some experience with harmons and mics, but it's still some work to settle out.
    Yamaha YTR-2335
    Yamaha YFH-631 Work in progress

Don't confuse me with my uncle, the former owner of this account: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f148...ing-73737.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Cox View Post

I have to disagree with the harmon. I say harmon with stem extended, or, preferably, solotone (cleartone, gatsby).
    richtom likes this.

Thread Information