Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Mutes don't fit in the Equipment forums; Hey y'all, I just bought a Xeno YTR8335RGM and none of my mutes fit the bell. Has anyone else shared ...

Mutes don't fit

Hey y'all, I just bought a Xeno YTR8335RGM and none of my mutes fit the bell. Has anyone else shared this problem, Flugelgirl I think you have a Xeno? What did you do to overcome this monumental issue. I love my bubble mute and I can't use it.

My trumpet is the shotblast lacquer finish, I love it. It feels so solid and sounds so smooth. But the mutes... the mutes. I don't even think thinner cork will fix the problem.

For the love of god can someone provide me solace in my dark place.
    Yamaha 8335RGM B Flat
    1947 Conn New York Symphony B Flat
    Olds Ambassador (I had to try it). B Flat
    Bach TR300 (First trumpet) B Flat
    Conn 18B Director Cornet (Coprion)
    King Tempo Cornet
    DEG Signature Flugelhorn
    Barrington Flugelhorn
    Conn Director tenor trombone (Coprion)

silly...boy

Pianissimo User

Re: Mutes don't fit

You'll need to file the corks down. Also, make sure your putting them in properly. Just breath onto your bell (You'll see the moisture), firmly place it in, and give it a small twist like you would your mouthpiece. But yeah, you probably just need to file your corks. If your corks can't be thinned anymore, the mute might not be for you.

Hmmm.. I had no problems with any of my mutes, including my bubble. They fit exactly the same in my Yamaha as in the Schilke B6 I was playing before that! I just breathe in the bell, pop it in, and there it is. My bubble is an aluminum, but I used a friend's copper without any problems, too. I also haven't noticed any difference between the older bubbles and the newer ones - my own is newer, but my Navy bubble is older. I'd say just try breathing in your bell really good and give the mute a good twist when you put it in.
    You were pretty lucky to find that horn - they don't make that finish anymore! When I bought mine, I tried all the finishes including the matte silver, but the laquer played the best - looked the best, too! That finish never shows fingerprints, water drops - anything! If you ever opt for a single radius tuning slide, MK makes one that matches the finish perfectly - people don't know mine's not the origional unless I tell them! :)
    Adams A1, satin gold lacquer, 0.55 (and it's twin in clear lacquer)
    Adams F2, gold brass bell 0.55
    Yamaha 8335RGS (Navy horn)
    Reeves V Raptor
    50's Calicchio
    Marcienkewicz Rembrandt flugel (for sale! Contact Trent Austin for details)
    Schilke P5-4
    French Besson Classic C
    Yamaha 761 Eb/D
    Weril Regium Eb/D (for sale soon)
    vintage Benge pocket trumpet
    Austin Custom Brass mouthpieces

More news to come!

Hmmm.. I had no problems with any of my mutes, including my bubble. They fit exactly the same in my Yamaha as in the Schilke B6 I was playing before that! I just breathe in the bell, pop it in, and there it is. My bubble is an aluminum, but I used a friend's copper without any problems, too. I also haven't noticed any difference between the older bubbles and the newer ones - my own is newer, but my Navy bubble is older. I'd say just try breathing in your bell really good and give the mute a good twist when you put it in.
    You were pretty lucky to find that horn - they don't make that finish anymore! When I bought mine, I tried all the finishes including the matte silver, but the laquer played the best - looked the best, too! That finish never shows fingerprints, water drops - anything! If you ever opt for a single radius tuning slide, MK makes one that matches the finish perfectly - people don't know mine's not the origional unless I tell them! :)
    Adams A1, satin gold lacquer, 0.55 (and it's twin in clear lacquer)
    Adams F2, gold brass bell 0.55
    Yamaha 8335RGS (Navy horn)
    Reeves V Raptor
    50's Calicchio
    Marcienkewicz Rembrandt flugel (for sale! Contact Trent Austin for details)
    Schilke P5-4
    French Besson Classic C
    Yamaha 761 Eb/D
    Weril Regium Eb/D (for sale soon)
    vintage Benge pocket trumpet
    Austin Custom Brass mouthpieces

More news to come!

Thread Information