Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss My new Bach Flugelhorn mouthpiece doesn't fit in my Jupiter flugelhorn in the Equipment forums; Am I missing something here? I just ordered a Bach Flugelhorn Megatone 3C and I put it in my Jupiter ...

My new Bach Flugelhorn mouthpiece doesn't fit in my Jupiter flugelhorn

Am I missing something here?

I just ordered a Bach Flugelhorn Megatone 3C and I put it in my Jupiter Carnegie XL Series Flugelhorn and it didn't fit.
    It still plays fantastically though I and I love my tone and range on it.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are Bach Flugelhorn mouthpieces a different size than other flugelhorn's?

Because I really like the mouthpiece and I don't want to return it, but I don't want to have it falling out all the time and ruin it.
    Lead chops

Re: My new Bach Flugelhorn mouthpiece doesn't fit in my Jupiter flugelhorn

Yes. I there are 3 different sizes.

•LARGE Morse taper
    Commonly known as Standard Taper, the LARGE Morse taper is used by Yamaha, Getzen, Callet, Benge/King/Conn, Holton and older Kanstul 1525 flugelhorns.
    •SMALL Morse taper
    The so-called “Bach Taper.” Bach, Courtois, newer Couesnon, Kanstul 1525 and some European flugelhorns use SMALL Morse taper.
    •FRENCH (straight) taper
    Also known as Couesnon Taper, French taper is used by original Couesnons, Flip Oakes "Wild Thing," Kanstul CCF 925, and original F. Besson flugelhorns
    2010 Getzen 3895 Custom Flugelhorn - Silver w/Gold Brass Bell
    2010 Getzen 3850 Custom Cornet
    2009 Bach Stradivarius New York 7
    1956 Olds Recording
    1920 Abbott Mfg Company

Monette B6 S1 / Kanstul G2
    Monette B6-FL - Cornet
    Kanstul C.G. Personal F - Flugelhorn

www.cigarassessor.com

So is there anything that I can do about it, or thats just the way things are

Thank you for the help by the way
    Lead chops

1stTrumpet... a good custom brass tech should be able to put your piece in a lathe and adjust the taper to fit... assuming you are saying it's "too big" and barely inserts... if it's considerably too small your options are limited. A LITTLE too small and a shop with plating equipment might be able to put several layers of plating on it.

I BELIEVE some of the moutpiece makers might do this for you too, but I've never tried. Maybe Curry?

Hope that helps!

Scott
    Scott Kelch

Adams A9 - large bore
    Adams A5
    Adams Custom Series gold brass/nickel Flugelhorn
    Olds Ambassador Tuning Bell OR Double Bell trumpet by SK Brassworks (that's me!)
    Olds Ambassador C Trumpet- SK Brassworks Conversion (That's me!)
    ACB "TA" series mouthpieces - Safari OVER!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stTrumpet View Post
    So is there anythiing that I can do about it, or thats just the way things are

Thank you for the help by the way
    I had same issue with my Getzen flugel and Bach mouthpieces. Getzen offers a flugel leadpipe that fits the Bach taper. It only cost me about $20. Maybe Jupiter does the same. Give them a call.
    Bach Stradivarius 180-43* (1974) and 239 CML (1980)
    Olds Ambassador Trumpet (1957) and Cornet (1957)
    Getzen 896 Flugel (1974), 940 Piccolo, M2003ES Field Trumpet
    Carol CPT-300LR Pocket Trumpet
    Bach 3C, 3D, 3CFL mouthpieces
    Seydel Saxony and Suzuki SCX Chromatic Harmonicas

Do you know where I could get something like that or what it would be called?
    Lead chops

Forte User

You'd have to try Jupiter for a Bach-taper leadpipe. I'd be surprised if they offered one. Charley Melk might be able to come up with one of his GR/Melk leadpipes that would accept either taper, but for about $125 or so, I'd advise taking the easy way out: sell the Bach mouthpiece, order a Flip Oakes Extreme in the correct (large) taper, and enjoy it. I've used one of his mouthpieces in an old Jupiter 846, and it made that thing sound like a perfectly respectable flugelhorn.

Low-tech solution: you could always wrap a bit of tape around the shank until the mouthpiece fit better. It still won't sound as good as one with the correct shank, but it could tide you over while you wait for your new mouthpiece to arrive.
    Vintage Olds and Reynolds and Selmers, yes sir, yes sir, two gazoos full.

Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls, etc.

The receiver should be able to be moved in order to hold the Bach mouthpiece.
    May the God of Israel, who is very real, and who sent the Messiah and the Savior that we so desperately need so that we can be reconciled to our Creator and live forever with the Three-In-One God, bless you today!

We have to admit that there is nothing in the geological records that runs contrary to the views of conservative creationists."

(Evolutionist Edmund Ambrose)

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by brian moon View Post
    The receiver should be able to be moved in order to hold the Bach mouthpiece.
    I don't understand this. A flugelhorn has a short piece of tubing, let's call it a tuning bit as the more fitting of several choices. That's inserted into the end of the leadpipe. But that tuning bit is reamed to accept a mouthpiece with a specific taper. Moving it around won't change the fact that a Bach taper mouthpiece is going to be too loose in a large taper pipe. Except for the GR/Melk aftermarket pipes, which are a compromise taper which will accept many Bach or large taper mouthpieces (not a Flip Oakes Extreme, unfortunately), there's a separate tuning bit required for each taper. Kanstul will sell you a pipe with a different taper; lots of us who own ZKF-1525's have followed Flip Oakes's advice to switch them to French taper. But if Jupiter offers this option, I haven't heard of it.

Check the Bach mouthpiece manual. For flugelhorns, Bach sticks to its regular Morse taper #1 reamer, but will make French taper shanks on special order. They'd probably make large Morse taper ones as well, but the manual doesn't specify that.
    Last edited by ChopsGone; 11-05-2011 at 07:17 PM.
    Vintage Olds and Reynolds and Selmers, yes sir, yes sir, two gazoos full.

Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls, etc.

The fluegel leadpipe has a receiver to accept the mouthpiece. It goes over the leadpipe. If it is tapered there is a smaller point that should grip the mouthpiece. It might not grip it very well, however.

I had a Jupiter flugel. My Bach mouthpiece fit without moving but the Jupiter mouthpiece did play better. If you like the Bach mouthpiece, you could get a Bach receiver fit on to on your Jupiter leadpipe. I would think that if moving the receiver wouldn't work then get another leadpipe that will fit on both the Bach and the Jupiter ends.

Any of the leadpipe makers should be able to do this.
    May the God of Israel, who is very real, and who sent the Messiah and the Savior that we so desperately need so that we can be reconciled to our Creator and live forever with the Three-In-One God, bless you today!

We have to admit that there is nothing in the geological records that runs contrary to the views of conservative creationists."

(Evolutionist Edmund Ambrose)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information