Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Parduba Mouthpieces in the Equipment forums; Ok, I heard that Harry James used a dual-cup Parduba. Does anyone know anything about these mouthpieces? I'm just kinda ...
    Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar

Parduba Mouthpieces

Ok, I heard that Harry James used a dual-cup Parduba. Does anyone know anything about these mouthpieces? I'm just kinda curious.
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

I have played one. Very interesting pieces. It has a shallow cup, and then a small cup going into the backbore (hence the name "double cup"). The idea, of course, it to give a player the advantages of a shallow mouthpiece (range & endurance) without the problems (tone and low notes).

I never could get used to it. I sounded fine on it -- it just seemed too different to me. But there are those who love them. I think if you want to scream and then play in the staff within moments of each other, this mouthpiece is worth a try. Never being a screamer, I didn't fit the MO.

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Hmm, I kinda figured that. How much do they run, usually?
    Michael Smith
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

$40 to $45:

Dillon Music
    WW&BW

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Fortissimo User
    There are half a dozen of 'em on Ebay right now.
    Just "drill down" through "All categories", "musical instruments", "Brass" and then enter "parduba" in the search window.

Thanks guys.
    Michael Smith
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

Pianissimo User
    Hi bigaggietrumpet,

I played Bach C-cups all through school. Last year I was given a Monette B4LD and instantly fell in love with it. In case anything happens to my Monette, my back-up mouthpiece is (currently) a Parduba 6.

The Monette has a fuller sound. The Parduba takes less air. Articulation, etc. is similar (for me) on both pieces.

Personally, I don't necessarily consider the Parduba a "screamer" mouthpiece. Either you have the chops or you don't. But...the Parduba does have a fairly wide rim, so it can "aid" with endurance.

This is only my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt. I hope this helps. All the best.
    watchguy44 likes this.
    PAUL NELSON - Eclipse White Lightning / Getzen Eterna 900 Classic

Mezzo Piano User

PARDUBA Mouthpieces

(Reviving an older thread)

These mouthpieces are not for everyone; and, they are not the "Swiss Army Knife" of mouthpieces.
    I have used them for many years, the originals, and, most recently, the almost exact duplicate "2nd generation" version.
    I have about four cornet models; but, do not use them any longer, since I sound too much like a trumpet. I now only use one mouthpiece for cornet: the vintage Conn "Wonder" (deep V-cup).
    I have different sized Parduba mouthpieces for trumpet, and depending on my "chops" situation at the moment, and the range of the music, I try to choose the correct one (size).
    I have an Alto Fluegelhorn (in G), and use the largest (#8), which was specially made for me by Dick Akright, the present owner of the rights and tooling to the Parduba mouthpieces. This man is a true gentleman, and helped me immensely in his modification to suit my needs.

If you can put your hands on one, give it a try ... you're in for a real treat.
    B-T-W, there is also the similar Buescher "Duo-Cup" (a vintage piece),

Robert Rowe

parduba tpt mpc

I believe Harry James purchased his Parduba around the time of the now Infamous Carneige Hall Concert of 1939(I believe I spelled it incorrectly). Harry James Model was 5.5. Other trumpet players played it were Ray Anthony, Louis, and a lot of players during the Big Band era.
    It allows a higher range with less work.
    VLS
    Psalm 150:3
    John 3:16
    Church Musician
    Port Jeff. Station, NY,USA
    LA Benge Trumpet ML bore
    Bach 3C & Bach 5V mpcs & others.

Mezzo Piano User
    Hello, vlstpt, and welcome to TrumpetMaster. Looking forward to your "posts".
    I'm no longer living on L.I., but I miss it (I'm from Amagansett). I'm leaving this AM to spend the wk-end in Bridgehampton.

...but, back to the post subject --

I play my trumpets (but, no longer the cornets) with Parduba mpc's. They take some adjustment, but suit my playing style.
    ...Not for everyone, though....

Regards,
    Robert Rowe

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information