Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Trumpet-Cornet mouthpiece adapter? in the Equipment forums; Hi all, Just a quick question, but does anyone make mouthpiece adapters that make trumpet mouthpieces work in cornets? I ...

Trumpet-Cornet mouthpiece adapter?

Hi all,

Just a quick question, but does anyone make mouthpiece adapters that make trumpet mouthpieces work in cornets? I know they make them so you can use cornet mouthpieces in trumpets but does anyone do it the other way round?

Jupiter 600m Trumpet Bb
    Bach Strad Flugel Bb
    Getzen Eterna Cornet Bb
    Getzen Eterna Cornet Eb

"You can't play anything on the horn that Louis hasn't played already-even modern" -- Miles Davis
    "Music is a journey. Jazz is getting lost"
    "If it sounds good, it IS good!"-- Duke Ellington
    "There are no wrong notes" -- Miles Davis

Re: Trumpet-Cornet mouthpiece adapter?

Why would anyone want to do that? There is so many different mouthpiece for cornet that an adapter would just ruin everything. Get a proper cornet mouthpiece and practice your rear off. There is some shallower mouthpieces for your soprano cornet if that is the dilemma. It would be much easier to make a decent cornet to french horn mouthpiece, but that may be appropriate rather for french horn players.

Nick I - freelance wellness consultant
    My online store
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

I just thought it would save spendin another £60 on a mouthpiece as i have one i really like for my trumpet.
    Jupiter 600m Trumpet Bb
    Bach Strad Flugel Bb
    Getzen Eterna Cornet Bb
    Getzen Eterna Cornet Eb

"You can't play anything on the horn that Louis hasn't played already-even modern" -- Miles Davis
    "Music is a journey. Jazz is getting lost"
    "If it sounds good, it IS good!"-- Duke Ellington
    "There are no wrong notes" -- Miles Davis

Problem is, a trumpet shank is larger than a cornet shank. A trumpet-to-cornet adapter would have to have a trumpet receiver coupled to a cornet shank, which would significantly lengthen the overall length of the horn. A cornet would blow flat with such an adapter.
    Ursa's collection...
    TRUMPETS: Holton Type II Super Collegiate, King Silver Flair (pre-UMI)
    CORNETS: Olds Ambassador; Blessing XL-CR; Holton Collegiate
    LOW BRASS: Conn 6E New Wonder Eb Alto Horn; Conn 4D Artist F/Eb "French" Horn; Yamaha YEP-321S Euphonium; Indiana Band Instrument Co. EEb Sousaphone; Holton 6/4 EEb Tuba

Quote Originally Posted by horner View Post
    I just thought it would save spendin another £60 on a mouthpiece as i have one i really like for my trumpet.
    A standard DW or VB mouthpiece should be around £30-40 and that should perform fine on most cornets. However, if you want something more specific, like warburton, sparx or even Denis Wick Heritage you may have to pay more than £60. There is many cornet to trumpet adapters which all are sold around £10 but I have never seen trumpet to cornet adapter, and as Ursa pointed out you will get a pitch problem - you probably won't be able to play with piano or a band unless you use one of those vintage high pitch cornets, you will probably need to fabricate it yourself and there is NO GUARANTEE about his quality and playability. Too much trouble IMO
    Last edited by trumpetnick; 07-19-2009 at 03:00 AM.

Nick I - freelance wellness consultant
    My online store
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

It does not exist. The cornet is a member of the horn family. That would be reason enough, even if the size issue wasn't there!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend

Hi all,

Just a quick question, but does anyone make mouthpiece adapters that make trumpet mouthpieces work in cornets? I know they make them so you can use cornet mouthpieces in trumpets but does anyone do it the other way round?

Hi! I tried to do that. I made a special pipe that fits on the cornet“s leadpipe and the trumpet mouthpiece. The reason was also money and the desire to experiment
    Results were good. The sound was tight because the cornet“s structure, mouthpiece brought some trumpet“s element on it. I Also compared the sound between similar cornet mouthpiece and trumpet mouthpiece. Cornet mouthpiece sound was more tighter than trumpet mouthpiece sound. Flexibility was little more airy, almost the same. Range was at start also little more wider, but later it turned oppisite way, maybe because of adaption to new instrument.

In a band playing the problem was pitch, as told the pitch is lower with trumpet mouthpiece and adapter than just the cornet mouthpiece, what is designed in it. Also it felt strange and embrassed to play with this special patent (I played only with closest band members). playing the cornet with trumpet“s mouthpiece felt similar than playing in the very small room or in a box. Trumpet mouthpiece gave you more than cornet could give.

At last i thought, cornet is cornet, it have it“s own stuff. Tight sound with shallow mouthpiece; good choice to traditional jazz, marchbands, salsa/timba (a new soundworld choice maybe in future sections). Not good to classical, because tongue problem and agressive sound. Deeper mouthpiece is good to ballads and classical music; cornet have a very beautiful and touching sound. Trumpet have it“s own soundworld and is more a modern choice, maybe in future cornet is more back in business..

Hi all,

horner - what mouthpiece are you playing on trumpet? There is no need to spend 60 pounds. You can get used mouthpieces cheap or trade for one. You are in cornet land in the UK. Someone has a used piece for you that you can afford.

Pianissimo User

Truevee Trumpet Mouthpieces & Adapters

It does exist but will as said make the horn overall flat. Maybe just push in a little?? Worth a shot if you have that mouthpiece you love

Pianissimo User

even if there is one, it wont sound right to be honest. it will change the mellow sound of the cornet and make it brighter and wouldn't be right in band situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information