Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Upper-Register Mouthpiece??? in the Equipment forums; I currently am lead trumpet in college; I play lead in pretty much anything. I play a Bach 3C and ...

Upper-Register Mouthpiece???

I currently am lead trumpet in college; I play lead in pretty much anything. I play a Bach 3C and sometimes a Bach 1 1/2C. I can play high notes (double C, D, E, and F) but it is a struggle to stay in the upper-register for a good amount of time without getting worn out. I slightly use pressure in my lips. I am NOT looking for a Lead mouthpiece which means nothing too shallow, I just want a mouthpiece that will make the upper-register easier, thanks!

Re: Upper-Register Mouthpiece???

Terminology is key here, you want something to facilitate the upper register. (Usually I'm not picky on diction but here it changes the whole mindset) A Bach 3C is still shallow, but maybe a 3D? If you don't have trouble with bottoming out a 3E is good. Many players swear by Bobby Shew Leads and I use Patrick's commercial line. But I'm going to be honest here, a mouthpiece isn't going to fix your issues, only slightly alleviate them, practice with your normal mouthpiece will make the perfect lead piece.
    tobylou8 and Dave Hughes like this.
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar

A 3C and lots of practice will do the trick.
    tobylou8 and coolerdave like this.
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Bell View Post
    Let me also point out to the OP, Solar Bell and I posted at the same time. Granted he knows quite a bit more about it than I do, but "here's your sign!"
    Last edited by DaTrump; 05-07-2012 at 11:47 PM.
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart

Thanks, but I really am looking for a new mouthpiece; the rim cut in the 3C is too "edgy" and I know that other brands offer the same size of mouthpiece with different rim contours, but I think I am ready for something new, I just don't see the 3C as my favorite right now. I'm looking for a mouthpiece that is not too bright but has good "punch" in the attacks, and clarity of tone. Ok, I know that everyone is different depending on what they like and works best, but I still want some suggestions!

If you can find one, CKB 1/2E, if you are trying to find the darker end. I forgot to mention, wedge mouthpieces are becoming all the range, I just got a delrin one and I'm a believer. But honestly the 3C is a good lead piece. What area are in? I'd suggest going to a local music store, bring a buddy and play everything you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Bell View Post
    I second and third the practice thing!! By your post, you're at that age where there are two paths i.e. fork in the road. Your choices are "Equipment to achieve your goals" OR "Practice to achieve your goals". Practice is the road less traveled and is the one you should take. Arturo has pretty decent range and he plays a 3C.
    coolerdave and patkins like this.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

New Friend

Suppose this were a running/jogging forum.

Q - "When I go running my shoes flop around and it makes running difficult. Can you recommend new shoes I can get?"

A - "Don't get new shoes that fit your feet. Keep running in the shoes you have so that your feet will eventually grow into the shoes."

Most professional lead players don't rely on a Bach 3C for playing Double C and above,
    but people in this thread are telling the poster that he should continue doing so.

I encourage the poster to tell us exactly what he does and doesn't like about the Bach 3C,
    and I encourage people in this thread to give him what he asked for, alternatives to the Bach 3C.
    Last edited by Janet Lee; 05-08-2012 at 08:32 AM.
    rettepnoj likes this.

Sorry Janet, I read the post and he/she is looking for endurance in the upper register. There is no "magic" upper register endurance mpc. that I am aware of. There are a lot of claims to such but I don't/haven't seen any proof. The poster didn't like the Yammie and mentioned no dislike for the 3C, just frustration with a lack of endurance in the upper register. IF this were a running/jogging forum the question would be along the lines of how can I decrease my time in the 5k, would a new pair of shoes make me faster? No. Practice would make you faster. Arturo is good enough for me regarding the 3C. The posters in this thread told him/her to practice! GASP!!! Has it come to that???!!!
    Last edited by tobylou8; 05-08-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: add needed emphasis!!
    coolerdave and Pat S like this.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar

The bottom line is that we cannot tell you what mouthpiece to use without a lot more information, and actually I would need to hear you play.

We all sound different on every mouthpiece. Some guys say the 3C is bright sounding, well it sounds like a flugelhorn when I use one on my trumpet.

The proof of that? I used a Jet Tone Bill Chase model for over twenty years, a big fat sound and I played it on classical gigs and as a featured soloist in concert bands. I used a Parduba 3 when I really wanted to sound edgy.

My best advice is, rather than get all of our opinions, call GR mouthpieces and speak with a mouthpiece technician and try what they say.
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information