Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss What's your favorite all-around mouthpiece? in the Equipment forums; Either past or present, what's your favorite all-around or most flexible mouthpiece you own?...
    New Friend

What's your favorite all-around mouthpiece?

Either past or present, what's your favorite all-around or most flexible mouthpiece you own?

Re: What's your favorite all-around mouthpiece?

Curry 3C. On trumpet, I use it about 99% of the time.
    Olde Towne Brass
    www.otbrass.com

Brass Band of Huntsville
    www.brassbandofhuntsville.com

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

I don't have an al arrounder. One for classical playing, another for commercial stuff. I could play most commercial stuff on my classical mp, but sound is, but sound is not the right one. Before I was using DW MM 1.5C, it could be used is an all-around mp.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Piano User

My reply will be useless and wordy and sound like im fishing for complements but im not, but I will give it anyway.

I dont have a favourite I have several mouthpieces and I have no idea what they are - they dont carry markings, so even if I had a favourite I couldnt say what it is. I do have one that has markings thats a wick 4b cornet and I play it on everything, (with a converter).

But I play whatever I have to hand, or feel its good to use. For example recently I chose to take the lightest shrillest mouthpiece I have and slammed it into the lightest shrillest trumpet I have, and that combination should have rendered my playing painfully and appallingly shrill. I did that as a test of my musicality and cos im capricious, and I believe if I am truly a good trumpeter the gear shouldnt matter, and I made that gear sound sweet and the audience loved it.

I do have measurements on my mouthpieces, my most commonly used seems to be around a bach 2 and a half, but it could be anything between a 3c and a 1*, and makers are totally unhelpful when it comes to cup depth, the depth is 11mm its not hard to measure this, but they use terms like deep or medium deep or medium, so who cares. If they cant articulate the measurements of the gear they make in a professional manner then I cant be bothered reading their charts.

I guess the truth is that we must choose whatever we need to get the job done, and if that means I only ever use a bach 600awbdfsg whatever that might be, and never change it, and it works all the time thats brilliant - for me. But is it for you.

Personally I want the ability to play on any mouthpiece in any instrument and sound like a musical god. So I insist on playing everything on everything and making everything sound great.

What is the best that we can aspire to, is it sounding fabulous only on a bach strad with a 7c, and like a dog on any other gear, or should we aspire to sounding great on anything even a kitchen faucet.

I guess to bring this into perspective I should recount a recent experience, I rushed out with my gear, but I had been cleaning it, and chucked everything in the bag, when I got the gear out I didnt have the mouthpiece I expected, I had an extreme one, so I just played what I had and I sounded great.

I havent taken a kitchen faucet gigging yet but that will come.
    If you can play Jazz you can Razzamatazz, But if you can play sweet you can always eat.

Conn 80A Cornet May 1952
    Boosey and Hawkes Emperor Trumpet September 1955
    Selmer Student Trumpet September 1943
    Comet Pea shooter Trumpet Unknown build date probably 1950

I feel that it's somehow counterproductive to swap a great number of mouthpieces around when playing the same instrument (obviously, different MPs are called for when moving between Bb, C, Eb/D, pic, flugel, etc.) so I settled on two for Bb. I have a Schilke 15A4a for situations where brilliance is called for (jazz lead and marching) and 15C4 for everything else. The pair used to be Bach 3D and 3C.
    True Tone likes this.
    2006 Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS
    1987 Conn 100B "Doc Severinsen"
    1946 Conn 22B "New York Symphony"
    1927 Conn 6A

I don't understand this question, or what good having an answer would be. Sort of like asking what's your favorite haircut.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Piano User

I like the question, I think more will be learned about the player and their approach to music making than about the gear and I think that is good
    If you can play Jazz you can Razzamatazz, But if you can play sweet you can always eat.

Conn 80A Cornet May 1952
    Boosey and Hawkes Emperor Trumpet September 1955
    Selmer Student Trumpet September 1943
    Comet Pea shooter Trumpet Unknown build date probably 1950

Bach 5b on cornet and a Holton 1c on trumpet
    Getting it done these days with a cr310 and a very old Holton

Quote Originally Posted by veery715 View Post
    I don't understand this question, or what good having an answer would be. Sort of like asking what's your favorite haircut.
    I like threads like this one. They are always interesting. Of course, the information we post is meant to be entertaining, not necessarily informative.

I agree with veery715 that the question can be interpreted different ways. For many of us, I suspect that our "favorite" mouthpiece is likely the one we currently use, or use most often. For others, it might be a treasured irreplaceable mouthpiece we owned in the past.

My answer is the Bach 3C. IMHO, it the most "famous" or "important" mouthpiece. It's a classic. It's a standard. The MV version is revered by some. The Bach 3C is probably the most copied mouthpiece, with just about every mouthpiece maker having an equivalent version (Schilke, Yamaha, Monette, Laskey, Curry, etc.).

Mike
    Bach Stradivarius 43* (1974), Bach 3C Mouthpiece.
    Getzen 896 Eterna Flugelhorn (1974), Curry 3FL Mouthpiece.
    Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, and Besson horns.

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetMD View Post
    ...For many of us, I suspect that our "favorite" mouthpiece is likely the one we currently use, or use most often. For others, it might be a treasured irreplaceable mouthpiece we owned in the past...
    That's a good point. In addition to what I posted earlier (which was the mouthpiece I use the most), the one that I looked for the longest was a small-shank F. Besson London cornet mouthpiece in good condition. It was about the only thing missing from the "kit" for my 1890 F. Besson London cornet. After 1895, the British branch of the company's name was changed to Besson & Company, and at some point (unknown to me) the mouthpiece receivers were enlarged to close to modern cornet shank size. The older ones were a little larger than a French horn shank. Finding the proper mouthpiece proved to be quite a search, but here it is:

Olde Towne Brass
    www.otbrass.com

Brass Band of Huntsville
    www.brassbandofhuntsville.com

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information