Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other Discuss Yamaha Silent brass sound??? in the Equipment forums; Hi guys, ive just bought a yamaha silent brass ST9 for when i go on holiday so i dont loose ...
    Pianissimo User

Yamaha Silent brass sound???

Hi guys, ive just bought a yamaha silent brass ST9 for when i go on holiday so i dont loose what i've built up in my playing, but was surprised as how it makes me sound. The sound is dull, boring, strained etc none of these of which i and my friends associate with my sound, am i doing something wrong? is this how its meant to sound??

Peace NYCO10
    Yamaha Xeno 20th Anniversary Edition
    Stomvi Elite Eb/D
    Yamaha 9835 Piccolo Trumpet

Warburton 4D/7* Backbore

Piano User

Re: Yamaha Silent brass sound???

toss the headphones that came along and use somethin more on the quality side.

and always use headphones, never use just mute as a mute, because its not ment to be used that way. It is not a mute per se, its a system, so it is to be used along with that little black box and headphones

it is a good practice tool. good for holidays too. hotel rooms etc, or midnight practice

If blow the crap out of it, anything will sound bad. If you need a mute, stay relaxed.

If you are surprised, put your ear up to the bell of a real trumpet and see what happens.

Technically the mute does not pass much of the audible frequencies, the rubber gasket dampens the ringing of the bell and adds mass to the back end of the horn. Mutes are not there to develop tone, they are there to give you a plan b when your environment is practice unfriendly. I really like my silent brass.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    If blow the crap out of it, anything will sound bad. If you need a mute, stay relaxed.

If you are surprised, put your ear up to the bell of a real trumpet and see what happens.

Technically the mute does not pass much of the audible frequencies, the rubber gasket dampens the ringing of the bell and adds mass to the back end of the horn. Mutes are not there to develop tone, they are there to give you a plan b when your environment is practice unfriendly. I really like my silent brass.
    so from what i gather they were never meant to make one sound good?

Peace NYCO10
    Yamaha Xeno 20th Anniversary Edition
    Stomvi Elite Eb/D
    Yamaha 9835 Piccolo Trumpet

Warburton 4D/7* Backbore

Quote Originally Posted by NYCO10 View Post
    so from what i gather they were never meant to make one sound good?

Peace NYCO10
    You can't assume that. Once you learn to play them in a relaxed way, they sound fine, but cannot sound like a trumpet in the real room because the sound develops in a different way, without the bell and room for instance.

Mine sounds fine, just different.

You can't build tone when you eliminate the room as the transmission medium.

Your expectations are not logical.

Mezzo Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    You can't assume that. Once you learn to play them in a relaxed way, they sound fine, but cannot sound like a trumpet in the real room because the sound develops in a different way, without the bell and room for instance.

Mine sounds fine, just different.

You can't build tone when you eliminate the room as the transmission medium.

Your expectations are not logical.
    Since you have one and all, could I expect that when I go to a hotel the rooms above, below, and beside me are filled that I won't disturb them in the middle of the night? Also, I tend to like late night practices, and sometimes on whim I will practice at like 1 in the morning. Understandably my parents tend to get a little pissed cause I wake them up along with my sisters. Will a yamaha silent brass help with any of these problems?

Utimate User

Quote Originally Posted by a marching trumpet View Post
    Since you have one and all, could I expect that when I go to a hotel the rooms above, below, and beside me are filled that I won't disturb them in the middle of the night? Also, I tend to like late night practices, and sometimes on whim I will practice at like 1 in the morning. Understandably my parents tend to get a little pissed cause I wake them up along with my sisters. Will a yamaha silent brass help with any of these problems?
    The above scenario is exactly what the Yamaha Silent Brass System was developed for ... the opportunity to practice without disturbing others. One day I'm going to give the Yamaha Silent Brass system the crucial test of playing my trumpet in a public library. Why not ???

Two points as have been mentioned that I concur with: 1. Don't attempt forte x on it or any mute, and 2. Dump the ear buds and get decent earphones, albeit I've found routine satisfaction from a very inexpensive set of Maxell's that insert into the ear canal and the loop rests in back of the head rather than on top. I use the latter a lot when playing CDs on a portable jacket pocket CD player.

Ed Lee
    Jackson NC
    Last edited by Ed Lee; 05-23-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by a marching trumpet View Post
    I can't comment on how productive practicing at 1 in the morning is. I find that I get the most accomplished when I am fresh. When I am on a business trip, I play first thing in the morning and between work and dinner (always go to the room to freshen up). The hickey on my lips is a great topic of discussion for those business partners willing to go there .

I practice in my office with the door closed an noone has ever noticed. I have practiced in all sorts of hotels all over the world and never had any comments. The air conditioning in many rooms is louder than what comes out of the silent brass.

Again, I do not blow the crap out of the mute. My practice routine is generally below mp anyway. I do practice very softly in the hotel rooms with no mutes when I am there during the day between 9AM and 6PM. Never had any grief there either.

I think the silent brass is an incredible practice tool, but it's not meant to have it in your horn to sound good. It's a practice mute...no practice mute is designed to do that. It's designed to let out the LEAST AMOUNT OF SOUND while trying to maintain a (somewhat) normal sense of blow through the instrument...

The silent brass is just one of many good practice mutes. It's the one I use. I only own the mute (and it's piccolo trumpet mute cousin) and not the electronics. I don't need them.

I use it everyday for long tone studies, and sometimes some Clarke exercises (only about 10 minutes or so first thing in the morning)...it helps to focus my chops with regards to tone production. I also use them when I am traveling and have to warm up in a hotel. They (especially the picc mute) have saved my butt on many occasions. However if I'm somewhere for more than one night, I usually try to find somewhere in the hotel, with permission, or elsewhere that I can actually practice, without the mute. I think it can be a dangerous thing to practice with a practice mute TOO much, since it alters the blow of the instrument so dramatically.

That's my two cents...hope it helps!

Louie
    Louie Eckhardt, MM
    Freelance Trumpeter
    http://www.LouieEckhardt.com
    Cathedral Brass Quintet
    http://www.CathedralBrass5tet.com

I, for one, don't recommend "blowing the crap" out of any instrument! If you do, that's exactly what it will sound like!

I don't like using a Silent Brass, but it's better than nothing if you're on an extended trip with no opportunities for playing "normally" Indeed, experiment with different earphones.

Later!

Guy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information