Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
TM Lounge Discuss Dialectic Jazz in the The Green Room - Non Trumpet Related Topics! forums; Taking a break, watching "Where the Boys Are". Halfway through the movie, Frank Gorshin is introduced as the leader of ...

Dialectic Jazz

Taking a break, watching "Where the Boys Are". Halfway through the movie, Frank Gorshin is introduced as the leader of a Gerry Mulligan-styled jazz quintet. Their specialty is "dialectic jazz".

Found a clip. Maybe gmonady can explain what they're arguing about at the 2:45 into the video. Something about "more merger, less eruptive".

Mike

Bach Stradivarius 180-43* (1974) and 239 CML (1980)
    Olds Ambassador Trumpet (1957) and Cornet (1957)
    Getzen 896 Flugel (1974), 940 Piccolo, M2003ES Field Trumpet
    Carol CPT-300LR Pocket Trumpet
    Bach 3C, 3D, 3CFL mouthpieces
    Seydel Saxony and Suzuki SCX Chromatic Harmonicas

Utimate User

Re: Dialectic Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetMD View Post
    Their specialty is "dialectic jazz". Found a clip. Maybe gmonady can explain what they're arguing about at the 2:45 into the video. Something about "more merger, less eruptive". Mike
    Very lame IMO compared to the Eddie Brookshire quintet in which gmonady plays.

Pianissimo User

I remember that line in the movie. I had no idea what find of jazz that was. I still don't.
    A bunch of Olds Ambassador Trumpets and Cornets (in restoration) along with several old rust bucket English Cars from the 60's in restoration also. My life in parts, brass polish and rust - tetanus shot - current! Olds Ambassador Cornet, LA 53' Olds Ambassador,Trumpet 58' Olds Flugelhorn 66' Couesnon 1923 Trumpet, several more Olds Ambassador Cornets (72', 74') and one Trumpet 69'

Utimate User

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Restorer View Post
    I remember that line in the movie. I had no idea what find of jazz that was. I still don't.
    Don't let it bother you whereas a lot of us don't know either. You got company!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lee View Post
    Very lame IMO compared to the Eddie Brookshire quintet in which gmonady plays.
    No argument here. :)

Utimate User

No argument here. :)
    Haven't heard them live yet, but I did buy their only CD recently, but I hope to connect with them soon in Pittsburgh PA at Little E's, a jazz club they've played at. Too, I'm targeting a new Getzen 896 4 valve flugel this summer. Gmonady plays one and I now see you have one too. I now have 2 Olds Ambassador trumpets. What's yours? Trumpet or Cornet? Not a trombone!!!
    Last edited by Ed Lee; 03-15-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Haven't heard them live yet, but I did buy their only CD recently, but I hope to connect with them soon in Pittsburgh PA at Little E's, a jazz club they've played at. Too, I'm targeting a new Getzen 896 4 valve flugel this summer. Gmonady plays one and I now see you have one too. I now have 2 Olds Ambassador trumpets. What's yours? Trumpet or Cornet? Not a trombone!!!
    Yes, I have a 4-valve Getzen Eterna flugelhorn. I purchased in new in the late '70's. It's a great horn. If I had to purchase a new flugelhorn, the Getzen Eterna and Custom would be at the top of my list.

I purchased my Olds Ambassador last year. It's a trumpet. (I guess I should update my signature. ) It plays great. It's been my primary horn since I got it back from Kanstul last month.

Mike

Utimate User

I purchased my Olds Ambassador last year. It's a trumpet. (I guess I should update my signature. ) It plays great. It's been my primary horn since I got it back from Kanstul last month. Mike
    Ivan (TrumpetsPlus) rehabbed (not restored) one of mine that I had acquired from a police sale of unclaimed recoveries for under $50 as included a super surprise that I quickly resold for $150 (offset all costs, thus so far it is FREE). My other one cost me $164, and plays nearly as well as is. Both play well enough to demonstrate to the beginning 4 boys I'm presently tutoring. Gary also has one he tells me he has sent to Tom Green for restoration. Too, he tells me he has also ordered a Kanstul flugel, but with my present ability I just couldn't do the extra grand. I'm reading that a flugel is mellow similar to that of a cornet.
    Last edited by Ed Lee; 03-15-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Pianissimo User

Don't let it bother you whereas a lot of us don't know either. You got company!
    Dialectic means a discussion searching for truth - so it is a jazz discussion. I had to go look up 'dialectic'. My education has a lot of holes in it as far as the English language goes. So now I finally understand that line in the movie.
    A bunch of Olds Ambassador Trumpets and Cornets (in restoration) along with several old rust bucket English Cars from the 60's in restoration also. My life in parts, brass polish and rust - tetanus shot - current! Olds Ambassador Cornet, LA 53' Olds Ambassador,Trumpet 58' Olds Flugelhorn 66' Couesnon 1923 Trumpet, several more Olds Ambassador Cornets (72', 74') and one Trumpet 69'

Utimate User

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Restorer View Post
    Dialectic means a discussion searching for truth - so it is a jazz discussion. I had to go look up 'dialectic'. My education has a lot of holes in it as far as the English language goes. So now I finally understand that line in the movie.
    And if you really and completely understand the term "dialectic" in all it's applications, you should be able to have achieved a Doctorate in Philosophy. From my LEO career I'd just deem "dialectic" to be the function of a Court (and they aren't always correct) to seek the Truth. The following phrase is "dialectic": To write, it must be written. This was a phrase written on a plaque that adorned the office of my college English composition professor. Ah shucks, just be Platonic, whereas Plato is attributed to have started this mess. Sure, there's this Dialectic outfit in Vancouver BC that touts their electronic music as such, but I just don't fathom it as derivative of Buddy ("King") Bolden's unique rag time as was the beginning of Jazz as I know it. Durn, it may be because I gave up the booze that the jazz genre is not a fav of mine, but I'll not deny that it promotes the booze sales and other inebriating legally controlled substances. I just can't get with it any more than the sing song music I heard coming from Japanese Pachinko Games parlors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information