Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
TM Lounge Discuss DON'T CRACK YOUR KNUCKLES!!! in the The Green Room - Non Trumpet Related Topics! forums; I recently found out that I might, in a few years, need surgery on my left middle finger, to remove ...
    Pianissimo User

DON'T CRACK YOUR KNUCKLES!!!

I recently found out that I might, in a few years, need surgery on my left middle finger, to remove a ganglion/cyst. I don't know if it's from cracking my knuckles, but it may be.

So all that crap your parents told you about not cracking knuckles might be true after all. So please do everyone a favor and leave them alone.
    Yamaha Xeno Bb (YTR-8335GS) // Monette B2
    Yamaha Xeno C (YTR-8445S) // Monette C2

Heh, I've conciously cracked my knuckles less than 100 times in my life, and my fingers (minus the two permanently jammed ones from basketball) are the only things that aren't with some sort of pain in my body.
    Bach 180LR, 72 bell
    Bach 1-1/2C
    Bach 3D

Fortissimo User
    My wife never cracked her knuckles but she gets ganglia relatively frequently. I, on the other hand (pun?) can crack my knuckles literally with one hand behind my back (press fingertips against palm of hand). I've never had a ganglion.

All generalisations are dangerous.

I've been cracking my knuckles since the second or third grade so that's about 25-26 years. No ganglion cysts yet.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Mezzo Forte User
    I've been cracking my knuckles since 3rd grade...

I've tried to stop, but if I don't crack them, my fingers get stiff and uncomfortable.

Lara

Mezzo Piano User trumpet blower88's Avatar
    I can't crack my knuckels... they just don't do it, I don't get it...
    -David Jacques

Pianissimo User
    Alan

Piano User
    Yeah, my mom was always telling me how I'd get arthritits from cracking my knuckles. Well, I'm 44 and don't have any arthritis. Ditto for loss of grip strength as I can still bend the heck out of a tin can...........
    Gabriel is NOT a woodwind player!

I crack my knuckles everyday. I can crack them 24/7. All i have to do is squeeze them into a fist the right way and the index and middle fingers pop. Not quite as loud as the regualr way, but its kinda wierd.

Maybe im jstu a freak? who knows, lol.

Fortissimo User
    Quote Originally Posted by jcstites
    All i have to do is squeeze them into a fist the right way and the index and middle fingers pop. Not quite as loud as the regualr way, but its kinda wierd.
    That's what I do. I think it's the first knuckle on the middle finger that pops... both when pressure is applied and when it is relieved. I can repeat it "ad nauseum" (especially for those around me!) So I don't think it's the fluid "cavitating" (the only thing that cavitates is my stomach... when I'm hungry) but perhaps a ligament being stretched and "popping" in and out of place. Can do it with both hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information