TM Lounge Discuss Just wanted to share in the The Green Room - Non Trumpet Related Topics! forums; As some of you may know, I've had a rough year here this year, beginning with lost class rosters resulting ...
    Forte User

Just wanted to share

As some of you may know, I've had a rough year here this year, beginning with lost class rosters resulting in no 7th graders and a host of other issues that have had me really in a slump and considering leaving altogether.

Well, I just had an amazing 6th grade rehearsal. I am so totally charged up because of those little 6th graders. They are soo intense. We can talk about tuning, resultant tones, blend, leading, color...all the cool stuff. We spent a few minutes of rehearsal just tuning a C minor chord...getting the 3rd to place just so. That's the cream filling right there. I can look up and give my snare drummer a cue and the eye contact is right there...looking for me. And the response is equal to my demand. I heard sounds coming out of my trumpet section leader that just make me smile. Trombones and euphoniums that count and don't drag!!!

(I knew I was off to a good start when one of my 8th graders came in with my chocolates I ordered!)

Ok...time to go practice.
    -Glenn
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Re: Just wanted to share

Congrats Glenn !!! Amazing isn't it... all we need is a few good days (or sometimes just one) to refuel our mental fuel tanks.

God bless you teachers... one and all.

Utimate User

Soak up and enjoy those moments as they'll get you through the dry spells!

ML

Forte User

Yeah Glenn....way to hang in and reap the reward. We need teachers like you!!!

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar

Wow, you can get them to sit still and listen? They don't get a blank stare when you talk about resultant tones? Sounds like you deserve a "teacher of the year award!" Hey Leigh, I don't want the Eclipse -- give it to Glenn!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by Manny Laureano View Post
    Soak up and enjoy those moments as they'll get you through the dry spells!

ML
    Ya know, thyat's really what it's all about, isn't it? They are great kids and I'm fortunate to have them.
    -Glenn
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Kudos Glenn!!

Keep at It,

Richard
    Bach AB190
    Schilke B1
    Bach C180L 239 25H
    Bob Reeves Sleeves
    Bach 3's: 3, B, C, & D
    Getzen Capri Cornet
    Getzen 300 Cornet
    Curry 3BBC & Wick 4

Glenn,

I am so happy for you! Let me just share with you how far ahead of the game your students are when compared to a young me.

In 1980 or so when I was in 6th grade I could not have told you anything about resultant tones, or chords. You were lucky to have my attention because I was bored out of my mind everytime our band director would have to stop for the woodwinds and fix something.

I can tell by your posts that you are an excellant teacher and your students will reap rewards from that far into the future.

Oh and as for me; the first time I had a resultant tone explained to me it was by another excellant teacher; Alex Yates. I just happend to be producing them with her! My age at the time 37. So your students have a 26 year jump on me!

All the best,
    John
    2008 Eclipse MHY Bb Trumpet in Silver Plate with interchangable leadpipes
    Getzen Capri Bb Cornet
    Bach, GR & Monette mouthpieces

Thread Information