Horns Discuss 1500A's Dual Bore in the Equipment forums; This question is specifically for Jack, but if anyone who also knows the answer, give it a shot: I know ...
    New Friend

1500A's Dual Bore

This question is specifically for Jack, but if anyone who also knows the answer, give it a shot:

I know that the 1500A has a dual bore, a conical bore, and I've heard from many that it slots like a cornet but plays like a trumpet. My question is what exactly does that mean, and what are the exact specs of the bore(s)? I know this model is a .460, but if it's dual bore, what sizes does it change into, and where on the horn is it different?

I ask because I love this horn and should be receiving the one I bought sometime in the beginning of July. I cannot wait!!!

I'd love as much detail about this topic as possible, especially since I'll own the horn in a few weeks.

Thanks!

I'd like to know the answer too! Bore on a trumpet is usually measured at the second valve. How can it be a dual bore? Conical I understand or even step bore. Dual bore? You would have to measure it in two places!

A trombone is measured at the slide. The mouthpiece side can be one size, and the slide part going to the bell be another. Kanstul makes a trombone that is a .530 bore/.547 bore trombone. But that makes sense. (BTW, the slide only fits one way).

How can you have a dual bore trumpet? I too, shall await the answer.

Jim
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

New Friend
    I'm sure Jack will be around soon to answer this with more clarity. He answered it on an email for me, but I'm sure he can go more into depth on his own. But here is what he said:

It is dual in the sense that it is more like a cornet. It tapers gradually from .453 at the leadpipe to .464 into the horn. Produces a nice dark sound. Great for jazz and legit.

Ok,

That makes sense. The Dual Bore label doesn't. It is more conical -- more cornet/flugel sounding. Another interesting option made by Kanstul. But since by definition trumpets are measure the bore in one place, dual bore makes no sense. A conical bore (which all horns are to a certain extent) makes sense.

It actually would make sense for manufacturers to measure things at the leadpipe and the second valve. They all would be dual bore, but then a person (potential customer) could tell how much of a conical design is built in.

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Pianissimo User
    Call it what you like-Step Bore or Dual Bore-it is one incredible instrument! A very famous artist/teacher here in Phoenix after trying it along with our copper C and tunable bell D/Eb said these were extremely fine instruments. He nailed some extremely difficult licks on it first time. Kanstul instruments, especially the signature line, resonate like no others. This makes playing difficult things easier as you are not fighting the horn. It goes where you want it and allows you to concentrate on the music and not making the instrument work. The 1500A puts out a wall of thick dark sound. That is why it is prized by Symphony as well as Jazz Artist alike. Give it a try. We always keep them in stock. You'll be glad you did.

To The Sound of Kanstul-Signature of course!

Jack Kanstul
    WE SELL KANSTUL

Thread Information