Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
Horns Discuss 37 vs 43 Bell in the Equipment forums; Wanting to buy a 2nd trumpet, for... actually several reasons, and wanting something of about the same quality as my ...
    Mezzo Forte User

37 vs 43 Bell

Wanting to buy a 2nd trumpet, for... actually several reasons, and wanting something of about the same quality as my current horn, a B&S Challenger II with a 37 bell. I found a nice deal on a Bach Strad 43 lightweight, and was curious about a few things.

- What sound difference should I expect between the two?
    - I would primarily use the 2nd horn for practicing jazz, and have read that the 43 lends itself more readily to jazz. Valid, or placebo bullsh?
    - I've also read that LW horns feel easier to play, and my B&S is pretty heavy for a standard horn. Anything to that?
    - Pros & Cons of a LW?
    - Is this horn a good deal because nobody wants a 43?

I should probably just go play the thing and draw my own conclusions, but I'm really trying to avoid a drive to Dallas.
    “The minute you get away from fundamentals – whether its proper technique, work ethic or mental preparation – the bottom can fall out of your game, your schoolwork, your job, whatever you’re doing.”

~Michael Jordan

Re: 37 vs 43 Bell

A 43 lightweight is going to be big, open and wide by comparison to the B&S Challenger 37. Not a bad horn at all, and some people prefer the 43 bell to the 37, but it's a different animal than a standard weight 37. It's not a horn I'd buy for classical playing or brass quintet, but it'd be right at home in a big band.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

I own both 37 and 43 bell Strads. I concur with Patrick's input.
    Nerf and True Tone like this.
    Bb cornet: 2012 Getzen 3850 Custom (copper bell)
    Bb trumpets: 1980 Bach Strad 37 bell, 1986 Bach Strad 43 bell
    Euphonium: Jupiter Capital Edition 460
    Eastern Iowa Brass Band
    "Practice, not procurement, is the secret." -- me

I personally prefer 72 over the above two. If you are into commercial you may want to try 72* (lightweight)
    Nerf, SteveRicks and True Tone like this.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

I have a 37 & a 72 (that started life as a 37). I've played a 43* before a long time ago. If my memory serves me correctly, the 43* was easy to play, felt open, with a marvelous tone. Like others here, I prefer my 72 to my 37. Good luck & let us know what you decide!
    mgcoleman and True Tone like this.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

1958 Mt. Vernon, NY Bach "Stradivarius" Model Bb
    1973 Elkhart, IN Bach "72" Bb (It started life as a 37)
    1982 Elkhart, IN Bach 37 Bb
    2016 Carolbrass Bb Pocket Trumpet

1989 R. Lawler C1L
    Selmer Paris Bb/A Piccolo (Late 1960's I think)
    1985 (?) Jerome Callet Bb Flugel
    Slingerland F One-valve Bugel
    (Not 100% sure of the dates on these)
    1920 Conn Cornet (?)
    1925 King Trumpet (?)
    1947 Holton Collegiate Cornet (?)
    Conn Cavalier (Haven't found an accurate date yet)

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetnick View Post
    I personally prefer 72 over the above two. If you are into commercial you may want to try 72* (lightweight)
    Ah....the mythical/mystical 72*! LOL
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

1958 Mt. Vernon, NY Bach "Stradivarius" Model Bb
    1973 Elkhart, IN Bach "72" Bb (It started life as a 37)
    1982 Elkhart, IN Bach 37 Bb
    2016 Carolbrass Bb Pocket Trumpet

1989 R. Lawler C1L
    Selmer Paris Bb/A Piccolo (Late 1960's I think)
    1985 (?) Jerome Callet Bb Flugel
    Slingerland F One-valve Bugel
    (Not 100% sure of the dates on these)
    1920 Conn Cornet (?)
    1925 King Trumpet (?)
    1947 Holton Collegiate Cornet (?)
    Conn Cavalier (Haven't found an accurate date yet)

Quote Originally Posted by neal085 View Post
    Wanting to buy a 2nd trumpet, for... actually several reasons, and wanting something of about the same quality as my current horn, a B&S Challenger II with a 37 bell. I found a nice deal on a Bach Strad 43 lightweight, and was curious about a few things.

- What sound difference should I expect between the two?
    - I would primarily use the 2nd horn for practicing jazz, and have read that the 43 lends itself more readily to jazz. Valid, or placebo bullsh?
    - I've also read that LW horns feel easier to play, and my B&S is pretty heavy for a standard horn. Anything to that?
    - Pros & Cons of a LW?
    - Is this horn a good deal because nobody wants a 43?

I should probably just go play the thing and draw my own conclusions, but I'm really trying to avoid a drive to Dallas.
    Good advice already given.

I've played on a lightweight 43 since I was 16 years old. I like it a lot. But I'm a bit biased, since it's the main horn I've played for 30 years. I also have a regular weight 37.

A lightweight horn is not "easier to play", but may be a bit more responsive. A lightweight horn may also have a little less core.

Does anybody want a 43? I suspect a regular weight 37 is most popular, followed by a lightweight 72. But if you like it, the 43 is a great choice. I love mine.

Mike
    Bach Stradivarius 43* (1974), Bach 5C Mouthpiece.
    Getzen 896 Eterna Flugelhorn (1974), Yamaha 14F4 Mouthpiece.
    Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerf View Post
    Ah....the mythical/mystical 72*! LOL
    When I was an Army Bandsman, we got a bunch of Strads in that I believe were 72* bells, and I also remember that I was not particularly taken with them at the time. Then again, I had put in so much time on my personal ML/37, and was so dialed in to that particular instrument, that anything else felt and sounded pretty foreign. I wonder if I'd be more receptive to it now.
    Nerf likes this.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Pianissimo User

In no particular order:

1. All else being equal, the 43* will be brighter than a standard weight 37.
    2. You can control the brightness by varying the cup depth on your mouthpiece.
    3. Don't let anyone tell you you can't use the 43* for legit stuff. I used mine for orchestra for years before I bought my 72*. Granted, I probably wouldn't use it with the CSO, but they're not beating my door down to get me to play with them. The point is that what really sounds good, and what people will notice the most, is resonance. Practically anyone will want to hear bright-and-resonant over dark-and-dead. Don't think about brightness. Think about resonance. I'm not saying to sound like Maynard at orchestra rehearsal. I'm just saying relax, breathe right, and ALLOW the sound to come out, don't force it. Any of the horns mentioned in this thread will be good for that.
    4. I LOVE the sound of the 72*. However, the 43* projects better over a big band. Each horn has its place. Sometimes I pick one over the other just because of the mood I'm in.
    5. A 43* is a tremendously versatile horn that can do it all. It plays a bit more open than a 37, a bit less open than a 72. I've always been glad I bought it in college when I could only have one horn.

My 2 cents.

-John
    Bach 72*
    Bach 43*
    Bach Chicago C
    Kanstul 1525

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    When I was an Army Bandsman, we got a bunch of Strads in that I believe were 72* bells, and I also remember that I was not particularly taken with them at the time. Then again, I had put in so much time on my personal ML/37, and was so dialed in to that particular instrument, that anything else felt and sounded pretty foreign. I wonder if I'd be more receptive to it now.
    Hi Patrick, you might be surprised - I'd give it a go. When I bought my Strad 43 I picked it over a 37 which I felt was a little "thin" and less warm than the 43. A couple of years later I found the 37 sounding and feeling much more like my 43 than I recalled, and it was the 72 which was a big surprise - beautifully dense and warm sounding. I believe the main change was in me, but I had previously used a Bach 3C and a Wick 2 to first try these horns and more recently a Monette B2S3 which is quite different, and maybe brought out more of the horns' qualities for me.

--bumblebee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information