Horns Discuss Accent trumpets from Germany in the Equipment forums; A friend of mine is play testing an Accent trumpet, made in Germany. It is a model TR959BDB. I really ...
    Pianissimo User

Accent trumpets from Germany

A friend of mine is play testing an Accent trumpet, made in Germany. It is a model TR959BDB. I really know nothing about these horns. Does anyone have any expience with these trumpets or know anything about the company? With a price tag $2100-$2500, I would like him to be more informed about the horn before purchasing. Thanks for your input.
    Bach Bb 43
    Bach C 229
    Bach Eb/D 229
    Stomvi Elite Pic
    King Flugel Horn
    Cerveny Bb Rotary

New Friend
    The accent German trumpets are made by B&S. I think if someone is going to buy a B&S, buy it with "B&S" stamped on the bell, not accent. It is most likely similar to the Elaboration line in the B&S. Here is a link to these horns: http://www.tulsaband.com/WebStore/pr...cat=333&page=1

Keep in mind these horns are set at MAP pricing, and available even at "better" deals if you talk to someone in a store directly. This elaboration model is endorsed by Mark Penders, and an exceptional playing horn. I would assume resale to be much higher on a B&S than what you could with a horn marked "accent". Hope this helps!

Ceth Barnett
    Tulsa Band Instruments
    www.tulsaband.com
    (800) 564-1676

When I went to a Dallas Brass clinic I was chit-chattin with the guys about their horns, and they all play different brand instruments that all say Accent on it. The way it was explained to me, Accent is a company that pretty much just stamps their names on certian instruments, the bone player had Thein, the tuba player had a Meinl Weston and the trumpets used B&S (that they hand picked from the factory in Germany), but all the instruments said Accent on them. Not really sure what the deal with it is, but I'm pretty sure the only difference is the stamp, best of luck!
    Music isn't a career, it's a way of life.

New Friend
    That's the same from what I understand. I REALLY doubt that the Dallas Brass flew to Germany to handpick their horns, but hey, I could be wrong. I guess the real question is, do they actually use these instruments outside of the Dallas Brass group?? I would have to disagree with these being the "select" B&S trumpets. From what I heard from a trustworthy source in the B&S company, these are not their elite horns. Hope this helps...

Ceth Barnett
    Tulsa Band Instruments
    www.tulsaband.com
    (800) 564-1676

New Friend

Re: Accent trumpets from Germany

I think I can help straighten this out!

First, the Dallas Brass DID INDEED fly to Germany to pick out their instruments, I was on the trip with them, along with 40+ other people from around the US! We had a wonderful time touring Accent factories - the Dallas Brass guys are tremendous musicians and a lot of fun! And YES, they do actually play Accent instruments in their concerts, you can check them out Wed. night December 17th (10:30 p.m.) at MidWest and see for yourself. In fact, there's a reception after the concert that I would love to invite you to attend, so you can meet the guys in person!

The TR959BDB was designed by Brian Neal & DJ Belaikoff of the Dallas Brass, and they perform on it regularly. It has a .459" bore and a 43-style bell, a little brighter sound that the "traditional Strad" 37 bell. The bell is also a little larger than the "traditional Strad" type bell.

As far as the quality of these instruments, the factory in which they are made is staffed by over 300 master craftsmen, and the instruments are hand made. They feature one-piece bells, eye-annealing (as opposed to oven-annealing) and stress-free soldering (as opposed to being made in molds & held together with solder).

As far as these being "elite" models of B&S or not, they are not B&S trumpets at all! I have no idea who your "source" is, but these are ACCENT trumpets, not B&S trumpets marked Accent . . . and the resale on Accent has proven to be excellent.

One more thing, Accent trumpets do not have "MAP" pricing, they are sold through exclusive dealers (that is, wherever you are in the US or Canada, only one dealer can sell to you). So, I would recommend you contact that dealer, if you have not already, also check out Accent - homepage for more information on these instruments . . . I believe you will be hard-pressed to find an instrument that plays as well for all types of music - classical, jazz or whatever!

Lastly, while I think it's a great idea to check with others for input before you spend big bucks on a trumpet, I think it's also important to be sure you are getting the facts, and also important to consider that each player's preference is a little different from every other's, and you need to choose the instrument that's best for YOU, not for someone else!

New Friend

These Accent horns seem to be a well kept secret, even in my German fatherland. The only source I found is Musik Bertram, one of the big instrument retailers, where it says on an old website:

B & S. 3137/L. brass, laquered, Challenger I, engraved "Accent".

Wow...it looks like these are "perfected" Bachs! Sounds like they are awesome horns....hope Chuck Levin's in DC brings some to try out.

Pianissimo User

ed
    Last edited by Don Christensen; 01-22-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Thread Information