Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Horns Discuss Alto Horn Mouthpiece in the Equipment forums; I just purchased a "King H.N. White Co, Cleveland, Ohio" Alto Horn. The serial number is 378xxx, which I believe ...

Alto Horn Mouthpiece

I just purchased a "King H.N. White Co, Cleveland, Ohio" Alto Horn. The serial number is 378xxx, which I believe puts it in the 1960-1965 range.

Does anyone know if it takes a standard Alto Horn mouthpiece, such one currently sold by Yamaha or Bach?

Yamaha Alto Horn Mouthpiece

Bach Alto Horn Mouthpiece

Thanks!
    Mike

Bach Stradivarius 43* (1974), Bach 3C Mouthpiece.
    Getzen 896 Eterna Flugelhorn (1974), Yamaha 14F4 Mouthpiece.
    Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.

Re: Alto Horn Mouthpiece

should be. An alto horn is just that - alto horn. The taper should not have changed during the time.
    True Tone likes this.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Thanks TrumpetNick. That's what I'm assuming. But the dealer wasn't sure. And I have not experience with them.

I played it some with a flugelhorn mouthpiece (large/Yamaha shank). That worked for testing. But the fit isn't exact.

Anyone else have a vintage Alto Horn? Do you use an Alto Horn mouthpiece?

Thanks!
    Mike

Forte User

Yes and yes. Actually, the Denis Wick 2 I use is sold as a tenor horn mouthpiece, but that's just an across-the-pond difference.
    Vintage Olds and Reynolds and Selmers, yes sir, yes sir, two gazoos full.

Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls, etc.

btw, if I had a tenor horn, I would rather go for the DW

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Keep in mind that King made "altoniums" in that time-frame, keyed in F, that took French horn mouthpieces. The three parallel braces on the main tuning slide make me wonder if there's a removable H-section to switch between Eb and F. If the horn is not yet in your possession, I'd wait.

If you do have the horn in your possession and you're simply wondering about subtle differences in shanks, don't worry. I've used a Wick tenor horn mouthpiece in my 1949 King alto horn for years and it fits just fine.
    J. Notso Nieuwguyski

Quote Originally Posted by nieuwguyski View Post
    Keep in mind that King made "altoniums" in that time-frame, keyed in F, that took French horn mouthpieces. The three parallel braces on the main tuning slide make me wonder if there's a removable H-section to switch between Eb and F. If the horn is not yet in your possession, I'd wait.

If you do have the horn in your possession and you're simply wondering about subtle differences in shanks, don't worry. I've used a Wick tenor horn mouthpiece in my 1949 King alto horn for years and it fits just fine.
    Thanks for the input! The horn is in my possession. I purchased it from Baltimore Brass (http://www.BaltimoreBrass.net), which is a nice store for new and used brass instruments in the Baltimore area.

You're right! The tuning slide is in two parts (see picture below). It plays in Eb. I assume the horn plays in F, if you remove the first part of the tuning slide.

The horn is in pretty good shape. A little lacquer wear, no patches, decent valve compression, and only a few minor dings, and a shadow along the bell where a larger dent was probably taken out.

I tried it out using a trumpet mouthpiece with a TF cup, and also with a flugelhorn mouthpiece. Both played reasonably well, and were pretty easy to play, once I got used to Eb as a pitch center. (Keep in mind that my definition of "reasonably well" is fairly ambiguous, since I've never played an Eb horn before in my life.)

Mike

True Tone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetMD View Post
    Thanks for the input! The horn is in my possession. I purchased it from Baltimore Brass (BaltimoreBrass.net), which is a nice store for new and used trumpets in the Baltimore area.

You're right! The tuning slide is in two parts (see picture below). It plays in Eb. I assume the horn plays in F, if you remove the first part of the tuning slide.

The horn is in pretty good shape. A little lacquer wear, no patches, decent valve compression, and only a few minor dings, and a shadow along the bell where a larger dent was probably taken out.

I tried it out using a trumpet mouthpiece with a TF cup, and also with a flugelhorn mouthpiece. Both played reasonably well, and were pretty easy to play, once I got used to Eb as a pitch center. (Keep in mind that my definition of "reasonably well" is fairly ambiguous, since I've never played an Eb horn before in my life.)
    Since your trumpet and flugel mouthpieces fit in the receiver your alto horn will work just fine with a standard alto/tenor horn mouthpiece.

With the H-extension in place, you'll need to pull the valve slides out for Eb tuning. There should be a line scribed on each slide, offering a factory suggestion as to how far to pull out each slide. Start with those lines and then work with a tuner... and go into this adventure knowing that intonation will likely be quite the adventure on this horn, whether in F or Eb.
    True Tone likes this.
    J. Notso Nieuwguyski

Quote Originally Posted by nieuwguyski View Post
    Since your trumpet and flugel mouthpieces fit in the receiver your alto horn will work just fine with a standard alto/tenor horn mouthpiece.

With the H-extension in place, you'll need to pull the valve slides out for Eb tuning. There should be a line scribed on each slide, offering a factory suggestion as to how far to pull out each slide. Start with those lines and then work with a tuner... and go into this adventure knowing that intonation will likely be quite the adventure on this horn, whether in F or Eb.
    Thanks again, regarding both the mouthpiece info, and the Eb tuning info.

Mike

EDIT: And yes, there is a line on each of the valve slides.

New Friend

I use a Denis Wick 5 alto horn piece on mine. Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information