Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
Horns Discuss Am I missing something? in the Equipment forums; After laying off for 5 years, getting serious again playing. 54 years old, began at age 11. 25 years ago ...
    New Friend

Question To Schilke or Not to Schilke?

After laying off for 5 years, getting serious again playing. 54 years old, began at age 11. 25 years ago played trumpet semi-professionally hiring out for gigs. Played a borrowed Schilke B2 and absolutely loved it. Been looking to buy a horn I will keep for the rest of my life. That said, I had my heart set on a Schilke, new or used, hoping that I'd fall in love with a horn. Being one to study every detail to the point of absolute paralysis, I am now confused and bewildered as to a horn model. Long story short... Perusing this great forum TrumpetMaster, I seldom see mention of Schilke horns, either recommended or for sale. Am I missing out on a better horn? (Recently sold my used Bach Strad... never have liked those horns for some reason).
    Last edited by billbrewco; 12-02-2016 at 06:46 AM. Reason: change title

Re: Am I missing something?

Hi Bill,
    Welcome to TM.
    There are Schilke fans here - plenty of them. Great horns and you have good taste.

Good luck on your Comeback, and take your time to find the right Schilke.
    Peter

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Piano User

Enjoy your comeback, Bill, and I hope you find the right Schilke somewhere out there.
    Manchester Brass Custom ( ACB ) RL-GB Bb Trumpet
    1952 Selmer Paris 21 Trumpet
    Bach TR300H2 Trumpet
    MPs: Curry 50TC , Bach 3C , 7C , Manchester 3C, Bach 10 1/2C and 10 1/2A

Schilke makes excellent horns, the question is whether it fits your playing situation and the sound have in your head. Not fan of previous takes of Schilke on flugelhorns though.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Re: To Schilke or Not to Schilke?

Quote Originally Posted by billbrewco View Post
    After laying off for 5 years, getting serious again playing. 54 years old, began at age 11. 25 years ago played trumpet semi-professionally hiring out for gigs. Played a borrowed Schilke B2 and absolutely loved it. Been looking to buy a horn I will keep for the rest of my life. That said, I had my heart set on a Schilke, new or used, hoping that I'd fall in love with a horn. Being one to study every detail to the point of absolute paralysis, I am now confused and bewildered as to a horn model. Long story short... Perusing this great forum TrumpetMaster, I seldom see mention of Schilke horns, either recommended or for sale. Am I missing out on a better horn? (Recently sold my used Bach Strad... never have liked those horns for some reason).
    To find your perfect horn, a start would be quantifying what you do not like about a classic Bach. There probably is less mention of Schilke here because a lot of players are like myself - weak. We need a little help from the horn to center and slot, so a B-series Schilke, or a 1950s Committee is just too loose for us and we miss too much. Schilkes are more responsive, which again can be a blessing or a curse, depending on the player. Then there is open, vs more restrictive feel. Many factors to consider.

My advice is, determine what about a Bach does not work for you and thus, conversely, what on the Schilke does. There are no "better" or "worse" horns among pro models as absolutes. It is a matter of what works for you. Don't place too much emphasis on opinions in a forum, get to Dillons or a similar well stocked store, and try a lot of horns. When the ones that work point you toward certain characteristics, then use the web to see if there is a model known for those specifics that you haven't tried yet - and go try it.
    Trumpet: 1961 Mt. Vernon Bach 43, 2000 Xeno 8335RGS, 1927 Conn 22B NYS
    Euphonium: 1965 Besson baritone, 1975 Yamaha YEP-321, 1985 YEP-621
    Trombone: 1975 Olds Recording R-20
    MP: Schilke 17d4d & 53

www.trumpet-history.com

I think they are seldom seen for sale since their owners love them and won't let them go. They also aren't mass produced they way Bach Strads are. Good luck on your comeback.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

I know of a like-new Schilke S-32 for sale at a good price - just under $2k. PM me with an email address and I'll pass the details on to the seller.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Hi Bill,

Welcome to TM. I fully understand what you mean about Bach vs. Schilke. My first suggestion, as was said before, is to get yourself to a well-stocked store with your favorite mouthpiece and try a bunch of horns.

With that said, the S32 that veery715 mentions is a killer deal, unless somebody's just trashed it. If you didn't like it, you could probably flip it and make a few bucks.

I went to Melrose Park (the factory) and tried horns. The 32 slotted very nicely, while the B-series require a little more work. One of the folks in the front office described it as digital vs. analog. I've tweaked my 32 a little with a rounded tuning slide just to make it a little freer blow.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk specifics.

Tobylou, you're right.......you can pry it out of my cold dead hands.

Rick
    tobylou8 and barliman2001 like this.
    20/400 Please excuse the typos.
    Practice moderation and one will be more than moderately rewarded.

Schilke S32 ('95)
    Schilke B1 ('06) #31
    Olds Super ('38)
    Olds Ambassador('53)
    Bach Strad ('71)
    Monette B4LD S1, B4S
    Schilke 12B4, 13A4a

Quote Originally Posted by RRVancil View Post
    Hi Bill,

Welcome to TM. I fully understand what you mean about Bach vs. Schilke. My first suggestion, as was said before, is to get yourself to a well-stocked store with your favorite mouthpiece and try a bunch of horns.

With that said, the S32 that veery715 mentions is a killer deal, unless somebody's just trashed it. If you didn't like it, you could probably flip it and make a few bucks.

I went to Melrose Park (the factory) and tried horns. The 32 slotted very nicely, while the B-series require a little more work. One of the folks in the front office described it as digital vs. analog. I've tweaked my 32 a little with a rounded tuning slide just to make it a little freer blow.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk specifics.

Tobylou, you're right.......you can pry it out of my cold dead hands.

Rick
    I have NEVER seen one listed locally on C'list or any other for sale site!
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Quote Originally Posted by tobylou8 View Post
    I have NEVER seen one listed locally on C'list or any other for sale site!
    OCCASIONALLY.....I'll see one on C'list, but they are generally gone by the next day! I bought my first, my 32, off of a TH classified a long time ago.Tough to find then, tough to find now.

Rick
    tobylou8 likes this.
    20/400 Please excuse the typos.
    Practice moderation and one will be more than moderately rewarded.

Schilke S32 ('95)
    Schilke B1 ('06) #31
    Olds Super ('38)
    Olds Ambassador('53)
    Bach Strad ('71)
    Monette B4LD S1, B4S
    Schilke 12B4, 13A4a

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information