Horns Discuss Bach 1530 in the Equipment forums; I'm just getting back into playing trumpet after about 7 years off and I'm thinking of buying a Bach 1530 ...
    New Friend

Bach 1530

I'm just getting back into playing trumpet after about 7 years off and I'm thinking of buying a Bach 1530 from someone. I just looking to see if anyone has played on this horn and how good it is.

Thanks,
    Ken

I have always thought that the Yamaha student model trumpets were pretty good, but I got a Holton 601 (I think) for my son.

Here is the funny part. I took him in so that I could play test the stuff too because I didn't want him to start on a clinker. There were several used trumpets, all in good repair, but in various states of worn lacquer.

The best of the bunch of the used was an Olds Ambassador, followed closely by a King of some model or another.

Unfortunately, my son was listening with his eyes, and I wound up getting the best of 3 new Holtons, and it was VERY close to both the Ambassador and the King. As a kid, I had the worst looking cornet in a section of players where everyone else had a trumpet, and I just wanted him to have what I never did. If the shine horn was what it would take to get him to practice, that would be fine with me!

I say look in to those Ambassadors.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

For what its worth, I've had really good experience with Yamaha student instruments. The first instrument I ever owned was a used Yamaha trumpet. I also bought a new Yamaha student flugel, which, for its price (I think around 600 in 1999), is one of the best values ever!
    -Jimi

New Friend

Re: Bach 1530

Quote Originally Posted by kenandtati View Post
    I'm just getting back into playing trumpet after about 7 years off and I'm thinking of buying a Bach 1530 from someone. I just looking to see if anyone has played on this horn and how good it is.

Thanks,
    Ken
    Hello, I am a sophmore in high school, or am going to be and i own a bach 1530 trumpet. It has been good to me. In my opinion this horn does not hold you back in the upper register, i can hit a high D/Ed daily with a full sound.
    Tone: this instrument enables a good sound and good projection, i use it for marching band and it projects with no problem. But i have a frien that has a trumpet that is a beginner model and i am not sure what it is called, but it projects slightly better than mine does.
    This is all my opinion but before you buy it, try other horns, maybe you will find one that is better.

New Friend

Kenandtati:

I can't argue the merits of the Bach 1530, but I have a Bach tr200 (silver) that you can have for $500.00 -- You won't hear many negative comments about this one.
    Send me a message if your interested.

Jan
    Last edited by Schwab; 09-25-2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Not a good idea to put your phone number on the internet.

Wise pick, those many years ago. If you got the Holton 601, 601 RC, 602RC or 602. Unfortunately their resale value is low, but their value as trumpets is inversely high. I wouldn't comment on a thread this old if it wasn't to make the point for these as used instruments for those returning or beginning trumpet. Extremely well built, excellent slotting, .460 bore of good brass and medium weight. Versatile;marching, concert or symphonic...even jazz band AND, you can get a shiny, nice 'looker' for under $100 on ebay. There are variations of the 602 now with 1st valve saddle, but buy an older 602RC for a beginner under 100/sometimes 50...wait and find a 602 w/1st valve saddle used for under 200 almost brand new.
    Outside of an Ambassador Cornet, the best value in used horns in my humble opinion.

Thread Information