Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Horns Discuss BACH 43 BELL vs. 37 BELL in the Equipment forums; Anybody out there play a 43 bell Bach? If so...how does it compare to a 37 bell as far as: ...
    Pianissimo User

BACH 43 BELL vs. 37 BELL

Anybody out there play a 43 bell Bach? If so...how does it compare to a 37 bell as far as: (1) sound; & (2) blow? I know how they're SUPPOSED to be different...but how do they REALLY differ? Besides the sound aspect I'm curious if it actually blows more open or tight...if you find that the upper register may be a little more open (or tighter)...if there is more/less core to the sound...and if, generally speaking, it's brighter or darker. Thanks in advance!

BW
    Kanstul Mariachi Premier
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
    Pieces - Warb. 6ESV top/Black #3 BB - Warb. 6FLM

MPM
    Pianissimo User

BACH BELLS

Well you can read the descriptions, etc., listen to the analogies and all the "what not" ... but there are many factors to consider if you're trying to choose the one for you.

These are just my personal observations, and I'm not trying to start a "poo-flingin" sesion, just trying to offer personal experience.

First: You need to compare two horns that are the same, with the only difference being the bell flare. Second: Same mpc, and playing circumstances.

The 43 bell seems to be a slight bit broader in sound, and a little darker. The 37 bell has a more compact projecting core, a little less "spread" to the core of the sound. As far as the "blow". Hmmm ... I think how one percieves this might have more to do how well you hear the horn playing. A 43 or 72 bell ( broader sound ) you might feel it's easier to play because you might hear it better when playing. "OUT FRONT", 100 feet away, it's been my experience that the 37 bell projects a little better, maintaining the core a little better, especially in really loud and high situations.

Now that being said ... you could take a horn ( ok a Bach since that was the brand asked about ) and take 2 dozen bells, try them all, every bell is going to be a little different. One might sound brighter, one darker, one more core than the others. There are metalugical factors that are not always controlable. This is going to be true for every make of trumpet, regardless of how well they are made or constructed.
    "~iii<O"
    Michael Manthey
    Scodwell USA Trumpets
    Bob Reeves Mpc's
    www.ultrapureoils.com
    Maynard Ferguson BBN Band

Pianissimo User

BACH 43 BELL vs. 37 BELL

Thanks, MPM!

Butch
    Kanstul Mariachi Premier
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
    Pieces - Warb. 6ESV top/Black #3 BB - Warb. 6FLM

MPM
    Pianissimo User
    No problem :)
    "~iii<O"
    Michael Manthey
    Scodwell USA Trumpets
    Bob Reeves Mpc's
    www.ultrapureoils.com

Banned Pianissimo User
    out

MPM, WOW! Nice descriptions!

I've heard a lot of guys say (mainly guys that do a lot of high charged playing like big band or rock band) that the 43 bell is the better bell for that kind of a situation because the sound is a little more open, and as you said, broader.

For me, if I was going to choose a new horn and it had to be a Bach, it would really depend on the kind of playing that I was going be doing the most. I used a ML Bach 37 alongside a LB Bach 25 in an Army brass quintet and we got along famously. However, when playing that same horn in an Army Stage Band, I used to get complaints that I just wasn't quite loud enough out front, (I was played either 3rd or 4th books) which was always surprising to me because I knew that I was pushing some air through, and at times I was playing about as loud as I could. Let's just say that I never had a complaint about balance (not being loud enough) in the section. I wonder if that assesment would have been different from a distance longer than the length of the rehearsal hall?

At the time I was very much a "1 horn, 1 mouthpiece" kind of player and I used the same setup for everything that I played. In retrospect, I probably should have checked out one of the lightweight Bachs with the 72 bells that they had in the supply room to use for Stage Band. I don't think that I would have had a problem being heard with that! :)

I think that MPM hit it when he said that you have to try multiple horns with the different bell configuration to try to find what works the best for various playing situations.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

MPM
    Pianissimo User
    Patrick,

I occationaly work with guys who play and love the 43 & 72 bells, (and evenone guy with an old Benge.) Sitting next to them the are loud as hell & they hear themselves very well. The band members too tend to hear that ...'spreading' ... of the 43 & 72 bells. Then I'lll go see these guys play in a club (when I'm not on the gig). The 43 & 72 bells did't project as well as a 37. A particular club I am speeking of is LOUD AS HELL on the band stand, crowded, low celling ... accousticly the 37 bells project better (out front 100 feet away) than a 72, 72*, 43, 43* 43 Sterling plus.

I don't play a Bach trumpet, however my horns are made with the equivqlent of a Bach 37H ( heavy - 25 - guage) bell. This horn / bell (for me) projects even better than a standard Bach 37.
    "~iii<O"
    Michael Manthey
    Scodwell USA Trumpets
    Bob Reeves Mpc's
    www.ultrapureoils.com

Piano User
    Ill second the 37H. I have one in gold and it is one of the best lead horns out there. It's got the edge of a lead horn, but with more punch. It feels like I'm playing with an rpg as opposed to small arms fire.
    -J
    Bach 37
    4MC/NY BB

MPM
    Pianissimo User

BACH BELLS

Jarrett,

I'll go there too. While I really don't like the term "lead-horn" I agree. I have two Scodwell trumpets (that's what I play) one is silver plated, and one is gold plated. I've used both playing lead trumpet in various situations, also used both playing 3rd & 4th parts, and in a Pops Orchestra last November. Very versitile bell.
    "~iii<O"
    Michael Manthey
    Scodwell USA Trumpets
    Bob Reeves Mpc's
    www.ultrapureoils.com

Here is an interesting story about horns, bells and players that I would like to share and I think that it really applies on this topic.

In the big band that I'm currently playing with, the lead player is using a UMI Benge 90B that has had a lot of aftermarket, custom work done to it. Some of you might be thinking "UMI Benge, YUK!" but believe me, this is one fine playing trumpet and the lead player has awesome presence back in the band and among the section. However, I’ve heard that he doesn’t project out front as well as you might think considering how loud he seems to be in the band.

We had a gig last summer where our normal lead player couldn’t make it and we pulled in a guy named Paul Dubois (I think that’s the spelling of his last name) to play the gig. Paul was playing an old Schilke X3 with a Warburton mouthpiece. In the section, you could always hear Paul, but he never sounded loud, just very solid. Paul is an excellent musician and I'll say that I wish that I had his lead chops and the musicianship to phrase the way he does.

Anyway, the last tune comes up, an arrangement of “America” that was done by one of the members of the band. The third book player decided that he needed to hit the restroom, and since most of the arrangement has overlapping and parts anyway, he took off to the restroom and I moved over to his stand to play the 3rd part. I got a bit carried away during the big buildup toward the end of the tune and when it was over, I thought that maybe I had been pushing a bit too much, and that maybe the second player and I overpowered Paul a bit.

Well, the third player comes back from the restroom with the comment that in the restroom, all you could hear was lead trumpet. Again, from where we were, Paul sounded solid, but he never really sounded loud, which is a testament that there is certainly a difference in projection qualities in horns and players. Our normal lead projects well within the section and Paul tends to project further out.

I don’t know if this difference is more in the horns, or if it a difference in players. There is certainly a big difference between a Benge 90B and a Schilke X3, but then again, there is also a big difference between two players.

I just though that I would share that because I think that it pertains to the subject at hand, even if neither of the horns are Bachs.

Oh, one last thing. I play a LB Bach 25 and Josh, the 2nd player, plays on an Edwards, although I don’t know the model or configuration.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information