Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Horns Discuss Bach Omega Bb Trumpet, Any good? in the Equipment forums; 6 years old, made by Selmer. Anyone know anything about these horns?...

Bach Omega Bb Trumpet, Any good?

6 years old, made by Selmer.
    Anyone know anything about these horns?
    Olds Ambassador 1978
    Bach TR300
    Getzen 300
    Ryton Strad 37ML Copy
    <------------------->

"I would never Join a club that would have me as a member" Groucho Marx.

Re: Bach Omega Bb Trumpet, Any good?

I could test them years ago. They are mainly a Strad 37 clone but with a two piece bell.
    Maybe a bit brighter in sound than the Strad.
    For my personal taste a bit on the tight side.
    Herbert

Check out archived TM Thread::Bach Omega in the Equipment>horns.
    Go to Bach Omega Trumpets - The Affordable Bach Stradivarius ?? | Trumpet4u.com - Used Trumpets, New Trumpets, Reconditioned Trumpets for an interesting review of the older Omegas like you are posting about and not the newer ones currently being manufactured.
    It also gets a favorable mention as a better alternative to a Tr200 or 300
    by Mike Pawul of Allexperts.com
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Forte User

Play it and try not to look at the brand and be swayed. The best playing Bach I ever tried was an old beat up Mercedes, just pure blind luck it was assembled correctly and was a monster. who knows, the next one made that day may have been a real dog.
    formerly known as old geezer Dave
    Chicago Benge 33XX
    Blessing 1580 [ Powell modified ]
    Getzen 800s ml Cornet P02819
    Yam. 231 Fl. 15383
    King Master Cornet 295628
    assorted other horns

Mezzo Piano User Brass crusader's Avatar

The Omega was a step below the Strad. I've only played one, and the corners that were cut in production were fairly large. I was quite unimpressed. For an "intermediate" horn, not bad, but I'd assume go for a used Strad.
    OAS AAS LLS
    AFM Local 400

Any good? Only you can tell us after you have tried it out. We have players here at TM worshipping student horns from the 60's or earlier.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    Any good? Only you can tell us after you have tried it out. We have players here at TM worshipping student horns from the 60's or earlier.
    Amen brother, I am a member of that congregation, as an economical Ecumenical with a growing membership.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mickley View Post
    The best playing Bach I ever tried was an old beat up Mercedes, just pure blind luck it was assembled correctly and was a monster. who knows, the next one made that day may have been a real dog.
    That´s an important point. To be honest we can´t pick a good trumpet by discription or brand.
    Everytime I test several pieces of one model, I realize, that each one is feeling differently.
    Herbert

Pianissimo User

I had a student a few years ago that purchased one. It was a good quality intermediate horn but I did not recommend it. Not because it was a poor instrument but that for the money, a used Bach Strad would have made a better purchase.

She did well playing the Omega but ended up getting a Strad a couple of years later and used the Omega for marching band in high school and college.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

Banned Mezzo Piano User

If you want a Bach Strad Clone the old Bach Mercedes not the Bach Mercedes II's where made useing Bach Strad Part's restamped. They where usualy made with a mix and match of various Bach Strad Part's left over from the various productions run's. I read a lot about how Vinny like Holton and the other's in his circle hated to make "true student instruments" they felt that that anything less their best which is what people wanted less then their best was asking too much since reputation is everything in some industries. So whent he Mrs. Bach who was the account and general operation manger would put the squeeze on Vinny to churn out some student models because they had some big contract's he would usualy sort through all his left overpart's (he was said to be a pack rat and never threw anyting away!) and put together student models and restamp them. So it was not uncommon for a student trumpet or trombone to be made up of 2-4 different models of Strad part's from various year's and model changes etc..... This means that their are a lot of people out their with pro quality horns even if some of the part's like the particul leadpipe might not have been ideal for the bell profile used etc... ended up getting far more then they paid for! When Selmer bought the company that type of stuff obviously came to an end.

I know what that is like though since I owned my own shop and specilized in raceing power trains and import tuneing long before the stupid current wana be tunner crowd cameinto being. I once built an engine and transmission for a Porsche for a client that I used all refurbished Porsche Race Team part's that where about 3-4 year's old when I bought them so it was all older tech. At the time their was nothing that could touch the refurbished part's from Team Porsche that I had used to build his engine and transmission. So he ended up getting more then he couldof ever hoped for pro-raceign part's for around the same price as aftermarket street performance part's. Small companies often do things like this when they get a great deal on something or have a lot of somethingon hand or their reputation means the world to them. Large corperations though seldom do this since the cost of tooling and extra lower grade materials and process is not a huge investment for them becaue of the economy of scale you seldom get something for nothing from large corperations! This is why the newer Bach Omega's and the newer Bach Mercedes II while very good instruments are not on par with the older one's because the "Corperation" had no problem retooling and redesigning to make a cheaper product to fit a price point. It did not bother them to turn out a less then ideal product because they make more money by haveing three different model lines beginner,itermediate and pro!

So Generaly no matter what the company Bach, Conn,Buescher,Holton,Olds,Reynold etc.......... Usualy anything made prior to 1955 or 1968 depending on which company we are talking about is almost a gurantee that you are getting a far better trumpet then that same model made after those dates when we are talking about intermediate and beginner models. The pro-models that remain today are all fairly good but we do not have 1/2 as many to chose from now since so many companies where bought out by large corperations then ran intot he ground etc.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information