Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Horns Discuss Best Flugelhorn in the Equipment forums; I know there there are many different styles to play Flugel in, but I want to see what people think ...

Best Flugelhorn

I know there there are many different styles to play Flugel in, but I want to see what people think about the best all-around Flugel. Not a huge Trombone-like or a tiny Trumpet-like, but something that is in between and good for all styles.....

Re: Best Flugelhorn

You're 28 years too late! I have a one of a kind Yamaha flugel that was developed for Guido Basso.I have till this day to see such a large bell on a Yamaha.and there are other trade secrets built in! I'm sure you will get many recommendations for this post!
    Celebration Bflat by Flip Oakes
    Early Yamaha Flugel prototype(Guido Basso)
    GR and Stork mouthpieces

There is no "best flugel", period. There is no best trumpet player, period. There is no best mouthpiece, period.
    All there is is personal "favorites" that have absolutely nothing to do with "best".
    I am sure that Yamaha sells more flugels than any other brand (maybe even all brands put together). That only means that they have targeted their markets better than the rest.
    The sooner you forget about "phantasizing" about the best and start playing EVERYTHING that you can get your hands on, the faster you will find something that appeals to your eye, brain and ears. Everything else is a waste of practice time!
    Now go out and do the right thing!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Mezzo Forte User

The only thing I'd suggest is to try anything you can...even the brands or models that you may expect to be bad. A good example is a Bach flugel. Many people would say they're generally awful, and maybe they are, but I have one that plays pretty well in tune and has a great sound (for me, at least). So you never know...try 'em all!

I currently play a Stomvi Elite which I love quite a bit. I found a wonderful mid 50's Couesnon about 2 years ago. I honestly never thought that I would find something better, until I came across the Stomvi.

go to Cambrass' Lines of Finely-crafted Stomvi Trumpets or call them at 877-702-0746 if you're interested in one and where you can find it.

peace-RV
    Ray Vega
    Senior Lecturer The University of Vermont[/SIZE][/FONT]
    www.rayvegamusic.com

Welcome to TM.....

I am pleased with my Hub Van Laar Oiram and would feel comfortably with it in any situation. It blends well and compliments other instruments...I play mostly jazz but also play in church which has a big style range...from loud and lively to gentle and reflective.The sound is true flugel but you can alter the sound somewhat with mouthpiece changes...

Inherently the flugel is an easy instrument to play if you back off and don't play it like a trumpet....many of the modern horns could suit your needs but older ones had intonation issues so you need to be careful there....at the end of the day it will come down to you and how you play......

As far as best "for all round playing" .....that's hard to know....a lot of people own Kanstul 1525's...I don't know if that is because of good price, good build/sound....home grown and available?.....you rarely hear bad things about them. If you are looking to spend more money and get the ultimate horn for you....you will just have to try as many as you can.

I have no idea who you are or what your skill level is so I hope this doesn't sound as if I am talking down to you.

Walter

New Friend

The best Flugel for me is by far the flugel made by Romeo Adaci, it playes like a dream and has a sound that is so allround that you can play anything with it.
    I own 2 Couesnon Monopole flugels and these are also very good but only for jazz music, they don,t fit in a fanfare veru wel.
    Grtz Bas.

As most people have said, it's a personal thing. There are definately two categories of horns based on bore. Most are either fairly small or the same as a medium bore trumpet.

The most popular ones around tend to be the Kanstuls, particularly the 1525 as well as the Yamahas. A lot of the active players here like the older Yamaha 631 and 731's which can be found at reasonable prices.

More recently the Hub van Laar horns have gotten a great following. My original Flugel is a 1970ish Getzen Eterna in silver. I just added a Hub van Laar B1 in gold plate to my collection. The people who have tried it have all liked it and typically rave about the valves. They are harder to find used they are a bit more expensive. There is only one importer, Bob Findley and I have to say he was fantastic to do business with!!

Good Luck,
    Steve

Mezzo Piano User

I'm another for a vintage Couesnon Monopole .
    Good player and will continue to increase in value.
    I don't think you could say that about too many others.

I have a 1983 Yamaha. Haven't played anything better yet for me.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information