Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Horns Discuss Buescher 500 in the Equipment forums; I believe my first trumpet was a Buescher 500. Anybody ever hear of that model. I, so far, have been ...

Question Buescher 500

I believe my first trumpet was a Buescher 500. Anybody ever hear of that model. I, so far, have been unable to find any info on that model.
    Mike Parkinson
    Trumpet

Fortissimo User

Re: Buescher 500

Sure that's not a Buescher 400?

Here's a picture of mine.

Tom

Fortissimo User

This is a later model at Dillon Music.

Tom

The Buescher i had was defintely not the 400. I had a student model. The finger buttons were quite simiker to the horn cited at Dillon's. Six kids, I know I didn't own a pro horn.
    Mike Parkinson
    Trumpet

I have a student with a Buescher 400 and it is missing the valve guide for the 3rd valve. Does anyone have any ideas where I might find some replacement parts for these things? None of the music dealers in my area have been much help... there suggestion so far has been to buy a new horn...

Fortissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by et_mike View Post
    I have a student with a Buescher 400 and it is missing the valve guide for the 3rd valve. Does anyone have any ideas where I might find some replacement parts for these things? None of the music dealers in my area have been much help... there suggestion so far has been to buy a new horn...
    Try calling Charlie Melk. He had the correct lower caps for my trumpet (lost one marching in the 80s).

A picture of one of the other valve guides could help as Buescher sold a lot of different trumpets as The 400, though mine you see up there was the most common model, essentially unchanged from the mid-30s to the mid-50s.

Conversely, any decent machinist should be able to make one.

Tom

Thanks Tom... the valve guides on this particular horn are plastic and are not of any style I have ever seen before. I will try to get a picture today, if I remember to take my camera to rehersal.

The guide is question is round with the tiniest littel nubs to do the actual "guiding". Those nubs have sheared off on the the third valve, so while the horn is playable and the valve goes up and down, it also rotates with little problem. So if you can imagine one of your valves spinning while you are playing, you know the problem this kid is having!! lol...

If you have a number for Charlie, could you PM it to me? Thanks again.

Fortissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by et_mike View Post
    Thanks Tom... the valve guides on this particular horn are plastic and are not of any style I have ever seen before. I will try to get a picture today, if I remember to take my camera to rehersal.

The guide is question is round with the tiniest littel nubs to do the actual "guiding". Those nubs have sheared off on the the third valve, so while the horn is playable and the valve goes up and down, it also rotates with little problem. So if you can imagine one of your valves spinning while you are playing, you know the problem this kid is having!! lol...

If you have a number for Charlie, could you PM it to me? Thanks again.
    Ah, much newer model. Should be easy to find, actually.

You can see his info at Charlie's Brass Works - Specializing in Professional Brass Instrument Customization, Repair and Refinishing

Tom

Thanks for the link Tom, I sent him an email... hopefully he will be able to help me out.

Well, just in case anyone else has been following this thread, I'm going to post the results. Charlie told me he doesn't have any of this style guide and that as far as he knows they haven't been available for some time, due to the fact that the style wasn't used alot. His best suggestion was having some made... it looks like I'm going to be telling her to go test some horns... I hate when the guy at the music store is right.... lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information