Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Horns Discuss Cannonballers.... in the Equipment forums; I just bought a Cannonball (RL model) and I'm fairly taken with it, but I don't know anyone else that ...
    Pianissimo User

Cannonballers....

I just bought a Cannonball (RL model) and I'm fairly taken with it, but I don't know anyone else that has one. Does anybody out there play with one OR are there any folks that stopped playing it?

Just curious to get some feedback on the horn from folks "in the know".

Forte User

Re: Cannonballers....

Because I have a rather large and eclectic 'accumilation' of trumpets and cornets I have a question in my mind about your request. If you are "taken with" the horn, then, why should you care what anyone elses opinion might be, other than those in your audience?

OLDLOU>>
    Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

The Cannonball was my second choice to the strad I got. I was gonna get the nickel plated one (gave a very bright mellowish tone, that could be good for jazz), but I sided wiht my silver and gold plated Big Apple Strad (idk if its gold plating or laquer). The strad for me was abit better for my purposes, but i woulda bought the cannonball in a heart beat if i didnt find Eve (my trumpet Big Apple, haha bad joke).
    "I'll play it and tell you what it is later." - Miles Davis
    "Do not fear mistakes. There are none." - Miles Davis

Trumpets:
    TR300 Bach [marching horn]
    Big Apple Bach Strad (ML)

Cornets:
    1952 Olds Ambassador L.A

Mouthpiece: Curry 5c, Olds 3 (for the cornet atm)

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by oldlou View Post
    Because I have a rather large and eclectic 'accumilation' of trumpets and cornets I have a question in my mind about your request. If you are "taken with" the horn, then, why should you care what anyone elses opinion might be, other than those in your audience?

OLDLOU>>
    I'm getting back into playing after a few years of hiatus. I was just curious what others that have played it think of it. I wasn't that familiar with them and haven't had it long enough to put mileage on it. I wasn't going to get rid of it based on the posts, it was for conversation and information.

I was looking at a Strad and was about to get one because that was the poison I knew, but it just had a look and sound that caught my attention. I have to push a lot more air through the larger bore than I'm used to, but other than that I like it. I was also curious what mouthpiece combo others had used (yes, I know this is individual but again just curious).

Do you never wonder about the experiences others have had with your stuff???
    Last edited by Doc Nelson; 05-27-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by note360 View Post
    The Cannonball was my second choice to the strad I got. I was gonna get the nickel plated one (gave a very bright mellowish tone, that could be good for jazz), but I sided wiht my silver and gold plated Big Apple Strad (idk if its gold plating or laquer). The strad for me was abit better for my purposes, but i woulda bought the cannonball in a heart beat if i didnt find Eve (my trumpet Big Apple, haha bad joke).
    It sounds nice, maybe you could post a picture of "her".

Mezzo Piano User

I have yet to play their trumpets and clarinets. What did you like specifically about the horn ?
    Maybe you could fill us in on some of it's strong points and drawbacks.

Originally they made their initial splash with their saxes. I have played many Cannonball saxes over the past 6 years or so. They have improved every year. Good horns for the money, with good company service and support. My friend came to me for his kid, and they upgraded to a Big Bell alto from their intermediate Yamaha Allegro, which I helped him choose also. If their trumpets are anything like their saxes, they will be here to stay.

Lou Lou Lou, maybe he just wants other's opinions. There's nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by oldlou View Post

OLDLOU>>

Artist in Residence
    Mezzo Forte User

There's a great NY freelancer named Raul Agraz who plays a Cannonball. He's currently playing the show "In the Heights" and is a top notch player.

TK

Pianissimo User

For me it's got a really good tone and despite my lack of useage for the last few years it centered really well. The tone is bright but not too edgy (at least in my opinion) for a fairly wide range of uses. I don't know if the stone just behind the lead pipe makes any difference, but I liked the gimmick. Plus the horn just looks cool with all the bell engravings. It's hard to comment about the range because I just don't have the range (or endurance) that I used to have...I'm working on it.

Cons: It's probably the single heaviest horn I've ever picked up.

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by kadleck View Post
    There's a great NY freelancer named Raul Agraz who plays a Cannonball. He's currently playing the show "In the Heights" and is a top notch player.

TK
    Thanks, I shot him an email to ask his take on the horn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information