Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Horns Discuss Chicago C trumpets in the Equipment forums; Has anyone played the yamaha and bach Chicago C trumpets? Which one did you like better and why? Also, how ...

Chicago C trumpets

Has anyone played the yamaha and bach Chicago C trumpets? Which one did you like better and why? Also, how does the Xeno C trumpet stack up? Thanks to all!
    Chad

"So my advice to young players who do want to play with Stamina, strength and range is to really recognize that 1) your lip is not it, 2) your enemies are the hands--don't press too hard." Maynard Ferguson Nov. 1988 interview with Kenneth L. Neidig BDGuide

Re: Chicago C trumpets

"Chicago" is a marketing word to give credibility to the association between Bach, Yamaha and what they thought was good for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. It has NOTHING to do with a specific concept in sound (except perhaps orchestral). Playing one does not bring our playing closer to those members of the orchestra.
    My impression of the Yamaha was big and "zippy" in sound, the 3 Bachs that I played did not give me a reason to sell my CL 229H. I really like the Xeno instruments. Silk to peeling paint is possible. It is a real "alternative" to that mass of "standard" sound that has almost made the orchestral trumpetplayer so standard that they are interchangeable. Nobody would have EVER accused Bill Vacchiano, Bud Herseth, Herb Adelstein, Mundy Ghitalla or Gil Johnson of such. I guess that is what marketing is all about, pushing only a couple of models to keep the profitability up by keeping the choices down. I really admire the players that take the chance and stretch the envelope. It is better for us than we could ever imagine............
    MY choice from the instruments that you mentioned would be the Xeno. You'd never get a job in a major US orchestra with it (in some cases you would not even be invited to audition!), but you would have a palette of colors at your disposal to do an incredible job!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thanks Robin! I always value your opinion.
    Chad

"So my advice to young players who do want to play with Stamina, strength and range is to really recognize that 1) your lip is not it, 2) your enemies are the hands--don't press too hard." Maynard Ferguson Nov. 1988 interview with Kenneth L. Neidig BDGuide

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    You'd never get a job in a major US orchestra with it (in some cases you would not even be invited to audition!), but you would have a palette of colors at your disposal to do an incredible job!
    Slight threadjack, but is it REALLY that prejudiced?! I thought Xenos at least were generally accepted?
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrapa View Post
    Well, to be honest, breathing is kind of over-rated. Personally, I think it's for wimps. It may look like I'm breathing, but that's just for show. I haven't actually inhaled since 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by BenH View Post
    Slight threadjack, but is it REALLY that prejudiced?! I thought Xenos at least were generally accepted?
    The New York Phil audition a while back dictated Bach and Yamaha. It is documented somewhere here at TM. I think Wilmer posted it.

If I remember right my response was: "and they're all made out of ticky-tacky and they all look just the same" (from the song little boxes by Melvira Reynolds).
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Well cbdmb, I've tried all of those horns, and to me, hands down, the Yamaha Chicago wins (hence I bought it)! Bachs vary so much in the way they are built and play, that I haven't ever found the perfect one (in my experience). Every Chicago or Xeno I've tried are all very well constructed and quality. The Chicago is just an absolute dream to play! It sounds great, feels great, and is a wonderful tool to make music. Those are my two cents on the subject.
    -Sam Tate

When in doubt, go with the FLOW... musical line, tone production, and resonance.

www.samtate.info
    slt5103@gmail.com

Artist in Residence
    Forte User

CB,

Many, if not most, top-class orchestra players in N. America are playing the Yamaha Chicago C now. For good reason.

Best,
    EC

Amen, Ed -

I've got one of each, and though I do really like the Bach, IMHO it just doesn't come close to the Yamaha Chicago C. That said, the Yamaha NY Bb (at least the one I have) is not that much more fabulous than, say, a good Bach 37, but (but I still prefer it!).

Best as always,
    Chas
    Yamaha Chicago C
    Bach Chicago C
    Yamaha New York Bb
    Bach 229H G C
    Bach 43R Bb
    Bach 37S Bb
    Scherzer 8111 Picc
    Schilke E3L D/Eb
    Yamaha 631 Flugel

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    The New York Phil audition a while back dictated Bach and Yamaha. It is documented somewhere here at TM. I think Wilmer posted it.

If I remember right my response was: "and they're all made out of ticky-tacky and they all look just the same" (from the song little boxes by Melvira Reynolds).
    In an interview with Chris Martin back when he played with Atlanta, he claimed to be playing on a Xeno. I would assume that was the exact same instrument that he auditioned with for the Chicago Symphony. Every member of the CSO plays one of them, I think. So yes, great orchestras seem to be perfectly OK with the sound of Yamaha.

New Friend

I have been playing a Yamaha Chicago C and a Bach Chicago C for 2 weeks, The Yamaha is good, but I think I may have found one of those exceptional Bachs. I am probably going to sell the Yamaha Chicago ... but I am a slave to fashion, so I might just keep the Yamaha... jk, I will play what I sound the best on and that I feel the most comfortable.
    However, I will say that I can play more consistently on the Yamaha, even if I've been playing a little too long, I can still manage similar things as opposed to the Bach where, if I'm not feeling my best, it has no sympathy.

Both great horns (maybe just an exceptional bach... i did play a Phili with a very close serial number and I couldn't make a sound on it... well... you get the picture).

My buddy just got into New England Conservatory playing a Xeno. I like my other friend's Xeno better than this Yamaha Chicago.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information