Horns Discuss Differences between the Trumpet and the Cornet in the Equipment forums; Hi all, Ok, I know that the trumpet and cornet have their uniques sound qualities, but is there any difference ...

Differences between the Trumpet and the Cornet

Hi all,
    Ok, I know that the trumpet and cornet have their uniques sound qualities, but is there any difference in the feel/resistance of these two instruments?

For example, if I used a Bach 3c mouthpiece with a Bach Strad Trumpet (my current set up) and then used a cornet mouthpiece of the same rim and depth of cup on a similar level (pro) cornet. what would be the difference in playability and "feel?"
    "If you're not improving, you're falling behind." - My Trumpet Teacher, Steve
    ------------------------------------
    Horns
    Bach Strad 37 - Wedge 3C w/ L backbore
    Bach TR300
    Conn Director Cornet
    Olds Ambassador Fullerton Trombone - Bach 6-1/2 C

Piano User

Re: Differences between the Trumpet and the Cornet

For the most part they'd feel a bit different as most of the resistance you feel tends to be acoustic anyway. Now you have a different mouthpiece to start with.

The big thing is to approach the horns differently to get the sound change you want. If you just marshall in the tone like you would a trumpet you will sound more like a trumpet. Try to be a bit more fluid.

They will in the end be similar though. But depends on your horns too. If they have a restrictive student type leadpipe on your cornet it may be quite a bit tighter. Guy I play with finds his Long model 37 Bach Cornet more open feeling than his 37 trumpet both with 5C mouthpieces. But also very close and the mouthpieces feel exactly the same.
    Kanstul Chicago 1001 w/ Kanstul M-B11 P (Monette B1-1 Prana)
    Conn 80A w/ CG Personal GP

The cornet is a COMPLETELY different animal. Resistance is not a pure mechanical phenomenon. How well you hear the instrument makes a big difference in how you perceive the blow. The cornet does not have the projection of a trumpet and therefore will seem freer blowing in smaller acoustic spaces and get "stiffer" in large spaces.
    We generally use cornets because of the sexy sound, not because of the mechanical characteristics. I find the cornet easier to play intimately.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Never take a cornet to a trumpet fight.

Cornets are great for section work, assuming it's a cornet section. They're also great for solo work, especially technical ones. Never play a classic cornet setup when a trumpet is called for in the music, though, and don't try to play one in a trumpet section - you will have trouble projecting enough to be heard, especially if the trumpet players are playing loudly.

As for the similarities, if you have a Bach 180 ML 37 trumpet and a Bach 181 ML 37 cornet to compare side-by-side, with corresponding 3C mouthpieces, they will be more alike than different. The cornet will be just a little more gentle and easier to get around on. The bigger differences are evident when you go to the extremes with each instrument, for example comparing a bright, lightweight trumpet played with a more shallow mouthpiece to a heavy, short model cornet played with a deep, conical mouthpiece.
    Olde Towne Brass
    www.otbrass.com

Brass Band of Huntsville
    www.brassbandofhuntsville.com

Bach ML 43 Bb Trumpet
    Bach L 184G Bb Short Cornet
    Bach ML 239 C Trumpet
    Besson Chicago Bore Bb Cornet
    Besson Nouveau Etoile C/Bb/A Cornet
    Conn 5A Bb Short Cornet
    Conn 6B Bb Trumpet
    Conn 9A Bb Short Cornet