Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
Horns Discuss Does a reversed leadpipe allow you to hit high notes easier? in the Equipment forums; I've been playing trumpet for about 2 years with my school`s Yamaha YTR 2335, and have been wanting to buy ...
    New Friend

Does a reversed leadpipe allow you to hit high notes easier?

I've been playing trumpet for about 2 years with my school`s Yamaha YTR 2335, and have been wanting to buy a trumpet of my own for about 6 months now. One of my friends in my jazz band has a Schilke MII and after trying it out, I was able to hit two notes above my usual range on my Yamaha(on MY mouthpiece), and the horn just felt so much more responsive. The Schilke has a reversed leadpipe and is also silver plated. I'm not sure whether the leadpipe or silver plating helped my playing. Any similar experiences?

First post on TM!

Thanks!
    Leslie Colonello likes this.

Re: Does a reversed leadpipe allow you to hit high notes easier?

I have a reverse leadpipe, but I suspect that your experience is quite subjective, and even if not, it is a question of overall design, not just the reverse leadpipe.

BTW, welcome on board
    Dennis78 and True Tone like this.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Hi PlatinumPiece,

Welcome to TM,
    The reverse leadpipe does 2 things, it moves the groove that you get when you move the Main tuning slide out, further down the trumpet, the leadpipe has an uninterrupted flow for another couple of inches. The second thing, is that it is easier for the trumpet manufacturer to make.

From a players perspective, I don't notice it much. I don't think I could pick a reverse leadpipe horn from just playing it with a blind test. Some horns are more resistant. and some are more open to blow free. Some horns will suit you and your style of playing better, and because they feel better, you respond better. Every reverse lead pipe horn I have, I do enjoy.

I like the Schilke MII, I had one for a few years, and it played very well, it was in mint condition, and I maintained the valves with a drop of oil before and after playing, and the valves were the only issue with these horns, with some players. For me, they were pure Schilke and never any issues - I loved it, and sold it to my teacher, who loves it as well as his normal Soprano Eb and S32. The MII is very under-rated due to some bad experiences when first released. A lot have been treated like beaters, so harder to get in mint condition. If you find one that suits you, then keep it.

Back To answer your Question and the Answer:
    No I don't think Reverse Leadpipe adds range. Silver plating does not add range. Practice and a regular daily, sensible routine will give you the range and control you need.

You don't tell us what the Notes were, or what range you were trying to get. Don't feel embarrassed to tell us, we can help if we know all the details.
    Take the time to go to a store, and just play every horn you can get your hands on. When you find the one that suits you, you will know. Your friends MII may suit you better than the Yamaha, but it is you that has the range, not the horn.
    RRVancil, BigDub and True Tone like this.
    Peter

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Mezzo Piano User

What I would wonder about is, given that Yamaha makes fine horns and I believe the 2335 is well respected, could your 2335 have developed an unseen issue that is affecting your play, if it has developed over time, like a slightly leaky spit valve cork, maybe it has crept up unnoticed.

Is it worth having your Yam checked out, as Peters wise words say, you have the range not the horn.
    If you can play Jazz you can Razzamatazz, But if you can play sweet you can always eat.

Conn 80A Cornet May 1952
    Boosey and Hawkes Emperor Trumpet September 1955
    Selmer Student Trumpet September 1943
    Comet Pea shooter Trumpet Unknown build date probably 1950

Pianissimo User Leslie Colonello's Avatar

I'm afraid not son. There are things that can help and the first thing begins with a P. Practice. There are trumpets that may make it easier but your range depends on you not the horn. Your friends' Schilke may be better for you. It may not be as tight as your horn. But don't give up on your Yamaha. When Louis Armstrong was making a name for himself in Chicago, other professional trumpet players went to hear him. They were convinced he had some sort of trick mouthpiece because he was routinely doing things like playing 50 high C's in a row. They asked to see his equipment for examination and Louis was playing the same Cornet and mouthpiece that they were.
    PlatinumPiece, Good luck and concentrate between the Bb's. Keep working and your range will develop naturally.

pss

Hi PlatinumPiece. Please take my words with a pinch of salt, I'm nothing more than an amateur, and only restarted playing around half a year ago. More than 2 decades ago I was also an amateur and played strictly flugelhorn, so high range was not my thing. Before quitting the band I was playing with I bought a 2335 (the flugel was theirs). For several different reasons, I only restarted playing not long ago.
    The 2335 is one of the finest student horns, but it's built to support you in other things than range, so I started shopping around for other horns, an Ambassador (of course...) and an old pro german Keilwerth. Both of them gave me a bit more than the Yamaha (specially the Keilwerth), altough I soon found out that after the new horns (and mouthpieces) showed me the way, I could go back to the 2335 and do almost the same thing, but with a bit more of effort - the Yamaha is more restrictive. So, first conclusion: practice was what I needed, only part of the improvements I experienced with the new material were real, the rest was due to a placebo effect. A pro and more free blowing horn will help to a certain extent, but the main part is up to you and the amount and quality of work you put on it.
    Regarding the silver, some people say it makes the sound brighter. Maybe. I dont think so. Dont care about it, if there is a difference, it's very subjective.
    Regarding the reversed leadpipe, I recently tested several Xenos, and the more free blowing were a 8345 (heavier, larger bore) and a 8310 (very ligth, medium step bore, reversed leadpipe), couldn't be more different in terms of approach. I believe there's a bit of a sales pitch in the reversed leadpipe thing. I ended up buying the 8310 but because of other factors (color, projection, lightweight, and it was the one I had in mind in the first place ), not because of the leadpipe.
    Profile pic ©Paulo Buchinho (not me)

Just asking for clarification -have always heard that all other things being equal, a reverse leadpipe makes a horn more open, free blowing. Any truth to it?
    Danderson likes this.
    Steve
    Olds Supers, LA (1953), Ful. (1962)
    Olds Recording, LA (1952)
    Olds Studio, LA (1953)
    Olds Special, Ful. (1964)
    Olds Ambassador, LA (1954)
    Olds Ambassador, Ful. (1973)
    Bach Strads 37-(1967, 1970, 1974, 1982)
    Bach Strad 72 MLV (1973), 72* (1982)
    Kanstul 1500 (2002), 1502 (2008), 1503 (2002)
    Kanstul 1537 (2007)
    Kanstul Chicago (2000)
    Kanstul 1510 C
    King Liberty (1929,1929)
    King Liberty 2 (1938, 1944)
    King Liberty 2b (1950)
    J.H. Darby 45 USA
    Holton (Revelation) 1924
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRicks View Post
    Just asking for clarification -have always heard that all other things being equal, a reverse leadpipe makes a horn more open, free blowing. Any truth to it?
    Steve,
    I think you are right - I do like all the Reverse LP horns I have, for that reason. But there are some normal horns I like better as well for the same reason. If I had a Holton ST302, or Stumac's ST301 beside any RLP horn in a blind test, I'd probably pick Stumac's every time - just need to be fit to get the best out of it.

So more to it, but from the OP's perspective, doesn't add range, unless he is happy and practices more, it is the practice that adds the range. I have tried a Bach Strad with a RLP, and liked it too.
    Peter

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

My 48 is open as hell! And can get LOUD! But my range is my range
    The Cincinnati Brassband
    The Westside Community Band
    The Swinging Saints

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumPiece View Post
    I've been playing trumpet for about 2 years with my school`s Yamaha YTR 2335, and have been wanting to buy a trumpet of my own for about 6 months now. One of my friends in my jazz band has a Schilke MII and after trying it out, I was able to hit two notes above my usual range on my Yamaha(on MY mouthpiece), and the horn just felt so much more responsive. The Schilke has a reversed leadpipe and is also silver plated. I'm not sure whether the leadpipe or silver plating helped my playing. Any similar experiences?

First post on TM!

Thanks!
    Short answer - no. A reversed tuning slide does not help to hit higher notes.

In theory a different trumpet shouldn't either.

With that said, some trumpets are easier to play than others, but there are so many factors that go into why that is, that it's not something you can really put your finger on when comparing two horns, especially not if you are still in your formative years of playing.
    TrumpetMD, BigDub and True Tone like this.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information