Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Horns Discuss Evette and Schaeffer in the Equipment forums; OK, let's test the forum's vast wealth of trumpet knowledge and lore. I have an Evette and Schaeffer American. These ...
    New Friend

Question Evette and Schaeffer

OK, let's test the forum's vast wealth of trumpet knowledge and lore. I have an Evette and Schaeffer American. These were also sold with the Buffet-Crampon stencil (As a matter of fact, my horn came in a Buffet stenciled case). Lovely playing horn in my opinion, and made with wonderful attention to detail......MOP inlays on the slide buttons, two piece 3rd valve slide, silky valves..... But, who was the maker that put that wonderful attention into this horn? To my knowledge, Evette and Schaeffer/Buffet-Crampon never made brass themselves. Some of these horns are marked "Made in Germany", on the reciever, however mine is not. The only markings on the reciever is a very small "F".

I know that someone out there in the world must know who it was that actually built these horns. Finding out has become my mission in life of late, and maybe that someone will stop by this forum, read this post, and allow me to succeed........or I'll just keep on wondering.

Charles
    Last edited by Charlesl20; 04-10-2007 at 07:42 PM.

New Friend

Re: Evette and Schaeffer

I'd like more info, too. I just bought a E&S American and Paris on eBay. They are BOTH very nice horns! I was surprised at the real quality. The American has a huge bore that sounds great and is easy to control. Would like to know the original maker, since it seems that E&S didn't make their own brass. Read elsewhere that it could be Buffet or Courtois??? Any info. appreciated.

Administrator Forte User administrator's Avatar

Welcome to the site guys!
    Review TM site rules here

Post your Favorite Trumpet Link here

Mezzo Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by Charlesl20 View Post
    OK, let's test the forum's vast wealth of trumpet knowledge and lore. I have an Evette and Schaeffer American. These were also sold with the Buffet-Crampon stencil (As a matter of fact, my horn came in a Buffet stenciled case). Lovely playing horn in my opinion, and made with wonderful attention to detail......MOP inlays on the slide buttons, two piece 3rd valve slide, silky valves..... But, who was the maker that put that wonderful attention into this horn? To my knowledge, Evette and Schaeffer/Buffet-Crampon never made brass themselves. Some of these horns are marked "Made in Germany", on the reciever, however mine is not. The only markings on the reciever is a very small "F".

I know that someone out there in the world must know who it was that actually built these horns. Finding out has become my mission in life of late, and maybe that someone will stop by this forum, read this post, and allow me to succeed........or I'll just keep on wondering.

Charles
    My guess is it's a Conn. If I remember correctly, Conn and Buffet
    at one time, relabled each others horns to get around import duties.
    I'd go to the Conn loyalist website and try to find a Conn that matches your horn.
    It sounds like an older horn since it's still labled Evette-Schaeffer and not just simply Evette.
    Last edited by Toobz; 12-12-2007 at 02:49 PM.

Did you google the name? it comes up with alot of sax links including Buffet-Crampon

New Friend

Since this thread started a ways back, I will share what I have learned since the original post.

1. The design looks very similar to the later Rudy Mucks that were
    made in Europe. Possibly by Wilhelm Monke (Josef's brother)

2. Courtois is a highly unlikely candidate to have made these.

3. A retired brass tech from this era, and third hand information
    passed on from Zig Kanstul insists that Buffet/Evette and
    Schaffer made these horns themselves in their factories. Evette
    and Schaeffer owned Buffet. They had factories in both
    Germany (where some of these horns were made) and France
    (where I believe some of them were made). The design and
    many of the parts very closely resemble other French made horns
    from this era.

4. Buffet will not comment at all about these horns.

In response to Conn as a maker, the design (internally threaded valve caps, Selmer style water keys, etc.) looks French, and doesn't resemble any of the Conns I've played or seen. You can look and judge for yourself.

Charles

New Friend

I've Googled and Googled with little success. The two horn look quite different. I did find a little info on Horn-u-copia, but not as to the maker. I'll keep looking.

New Friend

Charles--yours looks very much like the American I have, but it is quite different from the "Paris" one. The Paris horn looks and acts like a French made horn, but who knows?

The American has a huge bore and sounds big and bold. It blows easily, though, even for my 11 year old. The Paris horn is more a M or ML bore with a Selmer-like pinky hook. It is a heavy, very well-made, lovely horn as well and sounds great. Easier to slot than the American.
    Last edited by trobinson66; 12-12-2007 at 04:17 PM.

New Friend

The American is definetly a large bore, and it can get loud and proud. But, I've got my trusty ST302 Holton for loud and proud (it's louder and prouder). It's been a fun horn to play around with the American, but when the next thinning of the herd comes up (which according to the wife will be reeeeaaalllll soon!), I'll be sending it along for someone else to enjoy. I've got to admit that the search for the elusive maker of this horn has been interesting. Met new people, found interesting bits of history, and discovered new resourses for research. I may never know who made the American, but it has been far from a waste of time........unless of course you ask my wife!

Charles

Mezzo Piano User

You've got yourself one nice horn ! Your right, thats no Conn.
    Very interesting info regarding BC's factorys in Germany. I always
    assumed that most of the German made stencils were Keilwerth's.
    Thanks for the info !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information