Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
Horns Discuss George Rawlin in the Equipment forums; Wow...just "discovered" George Rawlin & his trumpets & mouthpieces. Great player and an unusually honest man. His new trumpet that ...
    Mezzo Piano User Claude Gnocchi's Avatar

George Rawlin

Wow...just "discovered" George Rawlin & his trumpets & mouthpieces. Great player and an unusually honest man. His new trumpet that sells for $800-900 sounds and looks like it should cost 5 times that amount, yet, he sells them at that price, which I'm sure does NOT net him a big margin. It is very refreshing in today's dog-eat-dog business world, to see an honest and humble man making an honest buck with a great value product!

Incidentally, I watched his Youtube video where he tries out some of his trumpets & mouthpieces, and also plays some other manufacturer's mouthpieces....guess what? His sound better & are priced at much less than the others.......go figure!

Does anyone here know where his shop is? I'm in Maryland & would love to go visit his shop & try out a whole bunch of things......

Re: George Rawlin

George just moved to Augusta Georgia. I am currently taking lessons from him. He is a great instructor and he makes great horns and mouthpieces. I own one of his Solista - Z horns and I love it! I also have George's grawlin #4 mouthpiece that is my primary mouthpiece. He is a very Christian man and is very dependable. As you can probably tell, I can't say enough good things about George!

Billy B.
    Vulgano Brother and tobylou8 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bbonner50 View Post
    George just moved to Augusta Georgia. I am currently taking lessons from him. He is a great instructor and he makes great horns and mouthpieces. I own one of his Solista - Z horns and I love it! I also have George's grawlin #4 mouthpiece that is my primary mouthpiece. He is a very Christian man and is very dependable. As you can probably tell, I can't say enough good things about George!

Billy B.
    After 40 years as a lawyer, interviewing clients & witnesses, I guess I have become a "good judge of character." I have obviously never met George or spoken w/him on the phone; but from what I saw of his product videos, his humble and Christian demeanor, his fine playing and his honesty in pricing; I knew that he is one of those "rare gems" in the trumpet/music business. I have also been a professional trumpet player for many, many years & have met way too many big egos and "snake oil" trumpet makers who think they should be paid $20 & 30K for their trumpets......how refreshing to know that someone like G. Rawlin exists!

On another, but related note, how is that #4 Rawlin mouthpiece? Similar to what "Bach" size and depth? Have way too many trumpets to buy another one, but might just try one of his mouthpieces......

Pianissimo User

Guys, thanks for mentioning George. Great info on his site too. Met him when he was with the Spurlows back in 1968. Lot of water under that dam!
    Dave

Sonare TRC-800
    Harrison Wedge 1AC 25 lightweight backbore
    Accent TR959 CDB C tpt w/Wedge 1AC 25 with short shank and heavy backbore
    Jupiter 846S Flug Wedge 3B
    Antonie Courtois AC280BO Bb/F Trombone Wedge 5G
    Accent EU-757 Euphonium Wedge 5G (Delrin)

gRawlin is a veritable living encyclopedia of everything trumpet; fantastic player, trumpet innovator/fabricator, and a very giving person. His web-site is full of free advice on playing, tweeking trumpets, and much more. In addition, his newly designed Z trumpet looks & sounds fantastic and is sold for a measely $900!!!! Compare that w/others who are NOT as accomplished as him, share nothing, but want you to pay them THOUSANDS of dollars for their instruments.....we need people like George in this business & we need to support & appreciate his efforts.....I have been in this business of trumpet playing for more than 50 years and can tell you that there aren't many people like George around any more........
    walldaja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Gnocchi View Post
    On another, but related note, how is that #4 Rawlin mouthpiece? Similar to what "Bach" size and depth? Have way too many trumpets to buy another one, but might just try one of his mouthpieces......
    They are the same as the old NY BACH 10.5b. Deeper and more cup volume than the present 10.5. More like a Bach 6. But with George's propriatary rim.

Billy B.

Quote Originally Posted by bbonner50 View Post
    They are the same as the old NY BACH 10.5b. Deeper and more cup volume than the present 10.5. More like a Bach 6. But with George's propriatary rim.

Billy B.
    hmmmm...sounds interesting...might have to get one. Thanks for the info.

I did a Google to see what I could learn about George Rawlin and his instruments. Seems an interesting and upstanding guy and teacher. Looked at his order page and it states that The Solista is made in the Kanstul factory in Anaheim California.Then it mentions a "Tribute" model that is made in China and a Carol Brass line that is not attributed to any country but is sold by a number of other sources too. So... I'm impressed if the Solista models are made in the US by the Kanstul factory. Kanstul makes some horns that are more than twice the price of the Solista Z model. I wonder about that "intermediate" Solista that is selling for $499. . Is that American made or Chinese?

Without a doubt it is Chinese.
    It appears that only the Solista Kanstul model would be built at Kanstul, and I doubt it is $900.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker www.divitt-trumpets.com https://www.facebook.com/divitt.trumpets/

Quote Originally Posted by Brekelefuw View Post
    Without a doubt it is Chinese.
    It appears that only the Solista Kanstul model would be built at Kanstul, and I doubt it is $900.
    Yes it is $919....gRawlin is probably the most honest man selling trumpets........he plays that horn in a video on his web-site....it sounds very good!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information