Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Horns Discuss Getzen 700 Question in the Equipment forums; I am looking online at a Getzen 700 the seller indicates only says "700"; not "700S" or "700 Eterna", just ...
    New Friend

1993 Getzen 700 Question

I am looking online at a Getzen 700 the seller indicates only says "700"; not "700S" or "700 Eterna", just "700". It has the two brace tuning slide, so it looks like a special. Is there some place where they can look for any other indication of what model it is? Thanks folks!

Re: 1993 Getzen 700 Question

The double-brace tuning slide is an indication that it's a 700S, aka Eterna 700 or Eterna II (which are all really the same horn). If it's a Special, then it won't say Eterna on the bell. If you can find out the serial number, email Mary ([email protected]) and ask her to be sure.
    tobylou8 likes this.
    Getzen Eterna 700
    Getzen Eterna 800
    Connstellation 28A
    Conn Victor 80A
    Conn Connqueror (1903)
    ACB Doubler Flugelhorn
    Mendini Pocket Trumpet

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    The double-brace tuning slide is an indication that it's a 700S, aka Eterna 700 or Eterna II (which are all really the same horn). If it's a Special, then it won't say Eterna on the bell. If you can find out the serial number, email Mary ([email protected]) and ask her to be sure.
    Thanks! I did email Mary the serial number and she told me it was a 1993, but had no guidance on the model other than it probably was a special because of the double braced tuning slide.
    tobylou8 likes this.

I have a 2004 Getzen 700 Eterna II with the double bracing on the main tuning slide - it's a great little trumpet, solid, great finish, good sound (but I guess some of that is Me). It is NOT a Special, nor a 700, nor a 700S, but an Eterna II, and I bought it brand new and it hasn't been modified.
    tobylou8 and True Tone like this.
    Ted

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Re: Getzen 700 Question

Welcome to the most confusing series of Getzen trumpets ever produced. It is a very common question and there is no particular place to find the exact answer. It sort of goes Eterna 700, from back in the 70's. It was the line right under the Eterna 900 and just above the Capri. That generation of 700 is very good and very underrated. It is also hard to find. It had a single brace like the 900. It's a true sleeper but not the 700 you're describing. The next 3 series of 700 is a mish mash. The wrench in this time period is the "SP" model. It was/is only available to "special" dealers, thus the SP. It isn't special other than that. Many, including myself, advice that it be avoided . It isn't horrible, but it is the bottom rung of the 700 line. So you have the original Eterna 700, Eterna II 700 (and Shifty may be right on it just being a re-badged 700 ), 700S, and 700SP. If the owners of these models could post pics, it could help if they are absolutely sure they know what they have. I do think the double braces only came on the SP but not 100% sure.
    Vulgano Brother and True Tone like this.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

New Friend

"I do think the double braces only came on the SP but not 100% sure."

Thanks! From researching the Getzen model screwiness on this site and on the Getzen 700 model webpage I thought the double brace was only on the S, not the SP:
    "S" - Getzen : Trumpets : 700S Eterna II
    versus "SP" - Getzen : Trumpets : 700SP Special

It is confusing indeed that this horn, which Mary dates to 1993 only says "700" on the bell. I want to avoid the SP like you say, but am finding it difficult to pin down what model this one is.
    tobylou8 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Artifex View Post
    "I do think the double braces only came on the SP but not 100% sure."

Thanks! From researching the Getzen model screwiness on this site and on the Getzen 700 model webpage I thought the double brace was only on the S, not the SP:
    "S" - Getzen : Trumpets : 700S Eterna II
    versus "SP" - Getzen : Trumpets : 700SP Special

It is confusing indeed that this horn, which Mary dates to 1993 only says "700" on the bell. I want to avoid the SP like you say, but am finding it difficult to pin down what model this one is.
    I know man, it sucks! At the website now, the SP has one brace. The early 700s looked just like the early 900s with one brace. I have several Getzens 900 and Severinsens and all only have one brace. I hope I am not confusing you as I'm getting confused trying to keep it straight.

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

Look at the mouthpiece receiver. I believe that the Special had a round receiver and the Eterna 700 had a hexagonal receiver.
    Vulgano Brother and tobylou8 like this.

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kennedy View Post
    Look at the mouthpiece receiver. I believe that the Special had a round receiver and the Eterna 700 had a hexagonal receiver.

Ed that is a GOOD catch - I overlooked that. This one does indeed have the hexoganl receiver. That, with the double tuning slide brace leads me to think it is indeed a 700S. Thanks!
    tobylou8 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Artifex View Post
    Ed that is a GOOD catch - I overlooked that. This one does indeed have the hexoganl receiver. That, with the double tuning slide brace leads me to think it is indeed a 700S. Thanks!
    Yay! You are now clear for takeoff with AirGetzen!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information