Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Horns Discuss Getzen Capri 540 Piccolo Trumpet in the Equipment forums; Has anyone ever owned and played one of these 3 valve piccolos? Just looking for some info on this piccolo ...
    Pianissimo User

Getzen Capri 540 Piccolo Trumpet

Has anyone ever owned and played one of these 3 valve piccolos? Just looking for some info on this piccolo other than it was discontinued. Thank you

Pianissimo User

Re: Getzen Capri 540 Piccolo Trumpet

I played one of those back in jr. college for quintet work. It was a decent enough horn. I remember it being a bit stuffy, not as free blowing as I would like, but that's my opinion. Intonation wasn't too bad once I got used to the horn. If memory serves, the 540 was the entry model of Getzen picc... I think they had a model higher that was a slightly bigger bore.

James
    Tptmusicaz
    1965 Conn Connstellation 38B
    Bach Strad 189 Eb 239 Bell
    Schilke P5-4MA
    Mouthpieces: Monette Prana B2S3, B4LDS1, E2S3, and AP5L (piccolo)

Pianissimo User

Thank you. Sorry for the late reply. I was wondering if anyone has a blackburn or najoom leadpipe for this model piccolo that they are willing to sale?

New Friend

If you're serious about playing a picc, stay away from the capri, or for that matter Getzen. Been down this road many times - there is no cheap answer for a picc. Look for a good used horn, and even they won't be cheap. Obviously, Schilke & B&S are the best, but Kanstul, Stomvi, and Yamaha run close seconds. Yamaha's lower priced (short) model is decent to learn on (& under $2k) - slots well and stays in tune well ...you can upgrade for better tone later & get a good resale price. Before buying anything less, consider a second job.

Quote Originally Posted by cruisedoc View Post
    If you're serious about playing a picc, stay away from the capri, or for that matter Getzen. Been down this road many times - there is no cheap answer for a picc. Look for a good used horn, and even they won't be cheap. Obviously, Schilke & B&S are the best, but Kanstul, Stomvi, and Yamaha run close seconds. Yamaha's lower priced (short) model is decent to learn on (& under $2k) - slots well and stays in tune well ...you can upgrade for better tone later & get a good resale price. Before buying anything less, consider a second job.
    Funny, I have always gotten along with the Getzen pics. In tune, easy to play, dependable hardware, none of the glass cutting ability of the Schilke. Anyone that has a Najoom pipe is going to keep it though. I suggest you contact Dennis for a new one:
    Leadpipes

Osmun also has a great pipe:
    Osmun Piccolo Trumpet Mouthpipes

I use it on my rotary picc.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Pianissimo User

Thank you very much. I will look into them

New Friend

Cody, indeed, the right leadpipe can make all the difference. Still, ya don't want to marry a thorobred with 'Tony the pony'. Being young, without a lot of money and wanting a picc is a hard place to be. I would still advise working & saving to get a good used horn. I've seen some pretty nice horns in the $1k to $1,500 range used. Rowuk, Just shows that everyone has a different opinion. Funny response coming from a person in Germany - where some of the finest piccs are made. I have a B&S (German) I will put up against any Shilke. In the US, the favored piccs are Shilke and Kanstul - Kanstul generally being considered very, very close, at a thousand dollars less. Of course, everyone's taste is different. I know some who even prefer the Kanstul. I recently met up with Allen Vizzutti, who plays a Yamaha (9830) and really likes it. I don't know many (correction, any) pros using Getzen.

Cody, indeed, the right leadpipe can make all the difference. Still, ya don't want to marry a thorobred with 'Tony the pony'. Being young, without a lot of money and wanting a picc is a hard place to be. I would still advise working & saving to get a good used horn. I've seen some pretty nice horns in the $1k to $1,500 range used. Rowuk, Just shows that everyone has a different opinion. Funny response coming from a person in Germany - where some of the finest piccs are made. I have a B&S (German) I will put up against any Shilke. In the US, the favored piccs are Shilke and Kanstul - Kanstul generally being considered very, very close, at a thousand dollars less. Of course, everyone's taste is different. I know some who even prefer the Kanstul. I recently met up with Allen Vizzutti, who plays a Yamaha (9830) and really likes it. I don't know many (correction, any) pros using Getzen.
    Cruisedoc,
    what has ALWAYS made any Getzen horn "decent" is the playability and the construction. They are dependable, in tune, an easy blow and have a sound that is OK. A fine choice when first getting into it. It is not the solution for a lifetime. It will help a player develop skills to be able to pick the "optimal horn" after a couple years of service. The first instrument is a guesstimate anyway.

For many years I played a Selmer 4 valve. I picked it up in France at the selmer factory in the 70's. By todays standards, not optimal but it was reasonably in tune and I made a lot of money with it. I play a rotary instrument of my own design (I've had it for about 20 years now). I would recommend it, but only my prototype exists.

My take is that it is possible to start with an attractively priced used instrument for well under a grand and then when you discover that this is where you want to go, then you have all sorts of options.

Mentioning Schilke, Scherzer or a Yamaha pro instrument to someone starting doesn't really help them unless they have enough money. Those that do, do not ask about instruments like the Getzen. It is a true alternative for the beer budget. the music is made by the player anyway.

New Friend

First, I would agree with the parts you say are 'decent', but disagree with the 'in tune' part. Problem is, Getzen is not entry level priced. A short model (940) runs $1,909, well the short Yamaha runs only a few $ more at $1997. The long model (3916)starts at $2057, yet for $2,247 you can get a Kanstul. The Kanstul could be a lifetime instrument for only $200 more. So, the Getzen certainly isn't beer money, but the Kanstul or Yamaha are only beer money more - and no reason to upgrade later. Just an opinion - and trying to steer the youngster in the right direction. I think our chat may help him.

First, I would agree with the parts you say are 'decent', but disagree with the 'in tune' part. Problem is, Getzen is not entry level priced. A short model (940) runs $1,909, well the short Yamaha runs only a few $ more at $1997. The long model (3916)starts at $2057, yet for $2,247 you can get a Kanstul. The Kanstul could be a lifetime instrument for only $200 more. So, the Getzen certainly isn't beer money, but the Kanstul or Yamaha are only beer money more - and no reason to upgrade later. Just an opinion - and trying to steer the youngster in the right direction. I think our chat may help him.
    In this thread we are talking about a Capri 540 entry instrument of which I have played several. They have a list price in Germany under a grand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information