Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Horns Discuss A Gold Plated Mt Vernon Bach on eBay .... in the Equipment forums; Wow ..... It is a beautiful horn from the pictures, but the pictures seem to lack detail (although plentiful). Anyone ...

A Gold Plated Mt Vernon Bach on eBay ....

Wow .....
    It is a beautiful horn from the pictures, but the pictures seem to lack detail (although plentiful).

Anyone want to guess what this one will go for at the end?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3726762895

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

The one picture that should have been included is the engraving/stamping on the bell. That would tell as much as anything. I mean, what if it's an Elkhart bell on a Mt. Vernon body?
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Fortissimo User
    Yep... and that particular vendor has featured prominently in some rather questionable discussions about his integrity on certain other trumpet forums of late also. I think I'd be perhaps steering a pretty wide berth around this one; at least without an awful lot of evidence that it's a "straight up" offer.

Good point Patrick! And thank you Tootsall!

What is with all the Gold Plated "vintage horns" on eBay at the moment?

Gold Plated Elkhart Strad 37
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3726457313

Vintage Martin Committee
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3725921845

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox

New Friend
    Hey, friends. That beautiful horn has been offered by shikailake before. Unfortunately, here's what will happen in this auction: There will be numerous anonymous, (and probably sham) bids up to $2000, or so. The auction will be ended early by the seller. He will email a few of the real bidders, and will make an off-ebay deal with a poor unsuspecting person who is excited to get his "dream horn". The money will change hands, and the buyer will never see the horn. This happened to me, and others know of his swindles. Steer clear!
    Craig Mitchell

Fortissimo User
    Did you also notice that, upon reading in detail his wonderfully mellifluent description (done in the most glowing of terms), there is virtually NO information whatsoever about this particular instrument, including serial number? And what's with using the words "Mt. Vernon" AND "New York" in the title line? Is it both? Is it one? Is it the other?

"Unequivocally the best professional trumpet money can buy" Yeah.... sure. Bet there are lots of makers and owners who might take issue with THAT little bit of advertising 'fluff' as well.

My experience is that the pitchman who hollers loudest usually has the least to sell.

Forte User
    That horn does not look right. Some aftermarket work, plus the bell looks like it was bent and badly re-straightened.

Should we send the seller a message and let him know we are not fooled?

Mike

Piano User
    We had a lot of discussion about this seller on Trumpetherald. The bottom line is that this seller is nothing but trouble.

My friend bought a similar Mt.Vernon from him and after 30 emails and 2 months later Shikailake shipped the horn. My friend payed $200,- extra for shipping (after closing the deal). We had to call some "friends" who paid him a "friendly" visit before he shipped the horn.

Some Mt.Vernons had a ridiculous reserve price, I believe it was $3600,- ! And mostly the serial or bore size isn't clear like this one.

He also posted a lot of crap on TH, so let's see what happens here..

New Friend
    If he is monitoring this site as he does TH, he'll register in various aliases, and spew vile posts. Some will attack me or you, and some will give us sane-sounding "legal" advice, I suspect.
    Craig Mitchell

Well, that is why he has a private auction! Too keep the shell bidders from showing up to others. Why does this guy have a 99% feedback rating with only one negative and NONE in the last year?

I can guess ... he ends all the bids early, with a shill bidder, contacts some of the other bidders and since they didn't make an official bid, they cannot leave feedback. But eBay warns against making deals outside of eBay -- there is no protection at all. I know if I was going to spend big bucks on a horn, I would demand a second chance bid which then makes it official.

Very interesting. I didn't know about the guy, but something about the photos and the angles made me worry. Slick, but didn't show much.

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information