Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Horns Discuss Harrelson leadpipe choices in the Equipment forums; Hi guys, I was wondering if any one could help me get a picture in my head as to the ...
    New Friend

Harrelson leadpipe choices

Hi guys,

I was wondering if any one could help me get a picture in my head as to the differences of the various leadpipe options of Harrelson horns. I have a Summit on order and am likely to choose either leadpipe 2 or 4. I currently have a 909 (which I love by the way) but the 9 leadpipe on that thing is a little too much from hence downsizing to a 2 or a 4. I'm wondering if anybody has tried out demos with the 2 or 4 pipes (Summit or Bravura) and could give a little feedback as to how they compare in terms of resistance (and perception of resistance), articulation/flexibilty, brightness/darkness, response to different mouthpieces etc. I already know that I'm going to go for the large 5.5" bell 7, so that narrows it down to leadpipe choice!

Nick's recent post of the Bravura looked spectacular so I hope to post similarly shocking pictures when I get my Summit. And Summit users feel free to comment about the horn. I've always wondered how well a horn could project with no kind of "Z" braces on the leadpipe-bell.

Thanks for your comments and have happy new year!

J

Re: Harrelson leadpipe choices

J,

Did you play any of the demo horns? If not, you could contact John Dover, a Harrelson rep. in Portalnd and get ahold of the demo horn he has.

Contact John
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by gzent View Post
    J,

Did you play any of the demo horns? If not, you could contact John Dover, a Harrelson rep. in Portalnd and get ahold of the demo horn he has.

Contact John

Thanks gzent,

No can do there unfortunately as I live in the UK and they don't do international demo's anymore since one disappeared a while back! So yes, I'm just trying to get as much info as I can from research to add to my experience from my current horn in order to make the most "educated" selection possible!

J

J,

Well, John has likely spent a good amount of time playing the demo horn himself, so maybe drop him a note and ask him about leadpipe differences?
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

New Friend

Gzent,

great idea, thanks!

J

Pianissimo User

Hi,
    I've been playing a Bravura with a LP 4 (Bell 3) for a few years now. It was built to get a dark, colorful sound for jazz combo work, in particular. The LP has an open feel to it - more open and broad than the LP 1 on my 909. Ends up I bought a Summit as well, so need to decide between LP 4 or LP 9 for that horn. I've not tried a LP 9 yet, so can't make that comparison, though I can tell you that LP 4 is still an efficient pipe - no worries about blowing through a garden hose. I know that LP 2 is not as open as LP 4, so I suppose it depends on how far you want to go. I'm a fairly efficient player, and do not have issues with LP 4 being too big.

I am getting Bell 7 as well. LP 9 will definitely give more expressive room, though less open pipes will be easier to slot. I'm going to the shop next week to hopefully try a Summit with a LP 9 set up. Let me know what you decide to do - I wish there was a Summit demo horn, though one is not built at the moment.

Happy New Year...Dave

Last edited by tedh1951; 01-01-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Fat fingers flying too fast - duplicate post.
    Ted
    Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

If you access the Harrelson website and look at the FAQ list you'll get the following information directly from Harrelsons: -

http://www.harrelsontrumpets.com/FAQ2.htm

BELLS - LEADPIPES - TUNING SLIDES - FINGER RINGS Bells:
    #1 - taper 3, diameter 4.9", projection 3, focused clear tone, brass, round crook, suitable for all genres including lead/commercial (similar to Bach 37) #2 - taper 3, diameter 4.9", projection 3, focused clear tone, brass, semi-round crook (slightly more resistance than #1)
    #3 - taper 4.5, diameter 4.9-5.0", projection 4, broad dark tone, brass, suitable for jazz combo, solo, ensemble (similar to Bach 72)
    #4 - taper 4, diameter 4.9-5.0", projection 3, dark semi-broad tone, bronze, suitable for all genres (favorite of Monette players)
    #5 - taper 4, diameter 4.9-5.0", projection 4, dark semi-broad tone, copper, suitable for all genres (same as #4 above)
    #6 - taper 4, diameter 4.9-5.0", projection 3, colorful semi-broad tone, brass, suitable for all genres (favorite of Calicchio & Schilke players)

Leadpipes:
    #0 - airflow 5, open, broad, dark
    #1 - airflow 3, medium open, focused, versatile, medium bright
    #2 - airflow 4, open, bright, colorful
    #3 - airflow 1, tight, bright, lead/commercial
    #4 - airflow 4, 5, very open, broad, colorful compared to #0
    #5 - airflow 3, medium open, bright, very focused
    #6 - airflow 2, medium tight, bright, very focused

Tuning Slides:
    Semi-round: medium blow/defined slots
    Round: open blow/clean solid slots
    Square: tight blow/clean solid slots

Last edited by tedh1951; 01-01-2010 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Adding link to Harrelson website
    Ted
    Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Wondra View Post
    Hi,
    I've been playing a Bravura with a LP 4 (Bell 3) for a few years now. It was built to get a dark, colorful sound for jazz combo work, in particular. The LP has an open feel to it - more open and broad than the LP 1 on my 909. Ends up I bought a Summit as well, so need to decide between LP 4 or LP 9 for that horn. I've not tried a LP 9 yet, so can't make that comparison, though I can tell you that LP 4 is still an efficient pipe - no worries about blowing through a garden hose. I know that LP 2 is not as open as LP 4, so I suppose it depends on how far you want to go. I'm a fairly efficient player, and do not have issues with LP 4 being too big.

I am getting Bell 7 as well. LP 9 will definitely give more expressive room, though less open pipes will be easier to slot. I'm going to the shop next week to hopefully try a Summit with a LP 9 set up. Let me know what you decide to do - I wish there was a Summit demo horn, though one is not built at the moment.

Happy New Year...Dave

Hi Dave,

Great post thanks. Sounds like the LP4 has a nice balance between an open blow, expressivity, coloration, but also enough resistance for comfortable slotting and endurance. However, I was under the impression that the LP 2 was actually more open than LP 4. After chatting with Jason he recommended the LP 4 given that I may need it for an occasional big band session, which led me to believe that it is indeed a shade tighter than the 2 but perhaps I misunderstood. Also, the descriptions supplied by Ted do suggest that the LP4 is "very open" and the LP2 is described as "bright & colourful". The problem is, and perhaps you could clear this up for me, is that on the order form, the descriptions of the two suggest the opposite. So the LP4 is described as "open, dark. colourful" and the LP 2 is "open, dark, broad." Any clues?

I currently have the LP 9 on my 909, and I can tell you that coupled with a large mpc it can feel like a garden hose at times as it accentuates the openness of it and I find intonation and slotting to be a little tricky. However the tonal and expressivity possibilties are immense (albeit al on the dark side of the specrum). Smaller sizes (3C and below) make it more manageable however it is still quite difficult to brighten up the sound (which may not be desireable anyway for a jazz horn). LP 9 is a challenge so I'm interested to know what you think when you try it. Efficiency really is the key word with the LP9 but given you've had plenty of mileage on the LP 4 you would probably adapt quite well to it.

Personally, I have been looking more resistance in the Leadpipe to balance my open mouthpiece preference. So I am really wondering which of the two, LP 2 or LP 4, will help me achieve that. First I need to establish which is which! Then of course the Bell 7 will be more open anyway so that will likely change the feel of the blow too. I hope you can "forum feedback" some of your play test experiences and feel free to contact me if you have any questions about LP9.

Happy new year!

J

I hate to sound like a nag, but how can ANYBODY order a new horn and not have the concept worked out BEFORE the purchase? I thought that processes like this were reserved for governments and the military.

Maybe I am old school, but collecting the facts first, sleeping on the decision and then committing seems to be a logical way to buy a horn.

Generally, when buying a new horn I want sounds complementary to what I already have. I don't need 2 identical sounding horns.

With horns in this price range, you need to let JASON figure this out. HE is taking your money. Call him, tell HIM what you need and then believe him. He knows his horns better than ANYONE on the planet. If you don't trust him.......................

The concept of the player "helping" with the design parameters of the horn makes little sense to me. We simply do not have the background to tell the experienced artisan what is necessary. We describe the symptoms and they create the cure.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information