Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Horns Discuss Help with trumpet for 6th Grader! in the Equipment forums; Hi there...this is my first post & after reading some others on here, this looks like the place I need ...
    New Friend

Help with trumpet for 6th Grader!

Hi there...this is my first post & after reading some others on here, this looks like the place I need to be. My son starts 6th grade band in the fall & will be playing the trumpet. My eyes are gone criss cross from looking at sooooo many on ebay! He has a list of preferred ones...Jupiter, Yamaha, Bach, Getzen...and there are lots of nice ones on there, but which would be best for a trumpet newbie? Also, do dents, dings & scratches matter with the sound of the trumpet? Thanks so much for the advice & for this great site!!!

Re: Help with trumpet for 6th Grader!

dents and dings may effect the resonation of a horn, and might make the horn more prone to further injuries, generally, a entry model bach or Yamaha will suffice for the younger students first few years of practice, and a cheaper option will probably be wanted, in case your son doesn't take to the horn. Id say as he goes into high school, if hes still into the horn, maybe look to uprgade him to something more.

Great Used Bach TR300 Trumpet - Nice Horn!!! - eBay (item 140426925158 end time Jul-17-10 17:00:09 PDT)

that would be a great horn. good luck! those first few years can be rough, but with encouragement and support, as with all things, im sure he'll develop into a fine musician! :)
    super collegiate tri-tone (raw brass)

New Friend

Super, thanks so much for the info! I actually have this trumpet saved in my watch items...it's looks really nice & has a good price too!

:) the Bach tr300 are very trusted. im sure some other folks will be along to chime in :) there are a lot of foreign horns that will poke up and around, but i would suggest against the purchase of those horns. they look very nice, but often times, they have problems. a Bach or Yamaha would be a very good choice.
    super collegiate tri-tone (raw brass)

Pianissimo User

Any of those brands should be good but my understanding is that you need to be careful with used Jupiters as the build quality of their earlier horns wasn't too good. My personal vote would be for a Getzen. They have some of the best valves available even down into their student line and should provide plenty of horn for your son to grow into. There are always some 300 series student trumpets or cornets available on eBay at reasonable prices and you can sometimes even find a deal on a Capri or 700 series, Getzen's step up horns. You probably want to stay away from the Getzen Super Deluxes, even if a good deal presents itself. They are older horns and having been produced as an inexpensive pro level horn have often had hard lives. In addition the bells are very thin and easily damaged, not the best horn to have knocking around an elementary school band room.

As for condition, in my opinion, small dings won't matter too much and scratches not at all. Be careful however of larger dents, especially on the leadpipe (the straight part right after the mouthpiece) and also on the tuning slide (the curved part after the leadpipe) and the bell crook (the curved section leading to the bell at the back of the horn, facing the player).

It might be safer to find a local music store that had some used horns to check out first hand rather than shopping online, but if you do have to buy online make sure the store has a good return policy, or if you're buying on eBay, be sure the seller sounds knowledgeable in his description and has provided a number of high quality pictures from various angles and also preferably one of the trumpet disassembled to show that all the slides are free & functional. Hope this helps and good luck to your son.

New Friend

Thank you so much! You all have shed so much light into my new world of trumpets Someone told me that the silver ones are "better" then the brass ones....is this something to consider. This one on ebay looks nice, at least to a newbie it does....a Yamaha YTR-2320S...

Yamaha YTR-2320 S Trumpet - eBay (item 190417301507 end time Jul-16-10 17:23:36 PDT)

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar

That would be a good horn.

No, silver is not better than a lacquered finish...BUT...it may make the student feel better about playing it.

Any of these would be a good starter trumpet

Yamaha,

Getzen,

Holton,

Bach,

......and in no particular order.

Most dents do not hinder the playing of the horn, but again, it might make the student not like the horn.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you might not want to ask in public.

Chuck
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Pianissimo User

Silver or brass makes no real difference. It's just a finish. The trumpet is still brass underneath, the silver is just plated over to protect the brass. The important thing is the trumpet model and manufacturer, not the finish.

A lacquered brass horn is actually easier to maintain as it won't tarnish like silver will over time. Think about how your lacquered brass doorknobs will stay shiny as long as the lacquer doesn't wear off compared to how you need to polish the "good silver" every year when the holidays come around. The only reason to consider silver over lacquer would be if you think your son would like it better and possibly practice more or take better care of the horn because of that.

One thing you do need to avoid though, especially for a child, are the "raw brass" horns. These are trumpets that either had their lacquer finish removed or were never lacquered to begin with. There are a lot of sellers on eBay that strip the lacquer finish from horns to supposedly improve the sound. Raw brass tarnishes very easily and is actually toxic to an extent with long term contact, though individual tolerances vary. I would never consider giving a child a horn with a raw brass finish.

Quote Originally Posted by EricMGB1974 View Post

A lacquered brass horn is actually easier to maintain as it won't tarnish like silver will over time. Think about how your lacquered brass doorknobs will stay shiny as long as the lacquer doesn't wear off compared to how you need to polish the "good silver" every year when the holidays come around. The only reason to consider silver over lacquer would be if you think your son would like it better and possibly practice more or take better care of the horn because of that.

I will take an opposite approach to Eric here, if I may - although I agree in general with his post. The silver finish to me is more robust than lacquer, for a newbie, despite the need for regular maintenance to the silver coat. The silverplate can be immersed in hot soapy water without any fear for the finish. If the trumpet is not polished then it only changes colour - mostly reversible when required. Considering the potential for kids to use their instruments at lunchtime band practices, the possibility for food to be injested by the trumpet is relatively high - and Mum (Mom) will want to keep the beasties away, usually by cleaning - my silverplated horns are less 'fragile' in the cleaning process than my lacquered instrument. Notice though that I have both types of finish, and my old ears can't detect a difference in tone - if there is one. I have a goldplated Pocket Trumpet and it's the best of the lot - no tarnish and no worries about lacquer in hot water either.
    Ted
    Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Piano User

Stay away from any Fleabay listings which have these (or anything similar in their listing title)

'Warehouse sale!'
    'Going out of business'
    'Band director approved'
    'Gold trumpet Best!'
    'Plays like magic sprinkled with pixie dust'
    'Steal a deal now'
    'High school band approved'
    'New golden pro band instrument'
    'Band approved'
    '*New*'
    'New 2011'

And steer clear from instruments with names like these: