Horns Discuss holton firebird?? anyone?? in the Equipment forums; ok guys, so i was at dillon's today, and i was dropping off my cornet for a restoration job, so ...

Question holton firebird?? anyone??

ok guys, so i was at dillon's today, and i was dropping off my cornet for a restoration job, so i figured i would stick around a while and play some horns. As i walked into the main trumpet room, there was an elderly gentleman, about 70 years old sitting on a bench in the middle of the room. in front of him he had about 14 horns. he had bachs, slemers, schilkes, yamahas, olderbenges, a couple stomvis etc. you get the picture. I noticed that under his bench, he had a very strangely shaped trumpet case. I recognized that inside of this could be none other than a holton firebird. I have seen several of these wonderful and strange horns, and the case is unmistakable. He and i got to talking, and he asked me if i wanted to take a gander at the horn in the case. He was surprised that i knew what it was. It took nearly thirtyfive minutes for me to fully understand just how different it was to play a horn of this kind. I loved it. This hing can SCREAM!!! i mean, it was sooooo solid above the double high C that i felt like i wouldn't ever run out of octave(or breath). But then i did....bummer. I am used to playing on a very small bore S42L, so this thing felt like a baritone compared to mine. he informed me that they are extremely hard to find, and that his was one of the original twenty produced. So here is my question. Do any companies make something similar? does holton still make them every once n a while? i know they are rediculously expensive pre owned. Does anyone own one of these wonderful horns? what are your impressions. Is it posible to build a firebird? Please, i want to know much more about these horns. I've used every online resource i could find on these. Now i need your opinion.
    An old bull and a young bull are standing on a hill top surveying the heifers in the pasture below. The young bull says, "Let's run down there and have us a heifer." The old bull snorts and replies, "Let's WALK down and have them ALL."

currently on a horn safari...I'll be moving a lot of horns around in the near future (keep your eyes on the classifieds).

Re: holton firebird?? anyone??

i meant double high C.....should have written that. It really is a special horn....Quite frankly i would rather own a firebird than a monette......I never liked the way monette horns play.
    An old bull and a young bull are standing on a hill top surveying the heifers in the pasture below. The young bull says, "Let's run down there and have us a heifer." The old bull snorts and replies, "Let's WALK down and have them ALL."

currently on a horn safari...I'll be moving a lot of horns around in the near future (keep your eyes on the classifieds).

L J
    New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by nickpasternack View Post
    i meant double high C.....should have written that. It really is a special horn....Quite frankly i would rather own a firebird than a monette......I never liked the way monette horns play.
    That is why you own a Schilke - and a TR-300. If you liked the Monette, that would be on your list.

I don't know of anything like a Firebird. There were some really large bore Benges that screamed and I think the WildThing is also a monster. I am sure that Felix at NYTC can get you something very close too!

I know you don't seem to care for the Monette, but the new generation does have a lot more models that appeal to commercial players.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

The last Monette that i played was an MF prana, and my main issue with it was that it didn't seem to know what it really was. I'm nowhere near the player that are most of dave's clientele, but i found that it played a bit stuffy at times. Thats just my take, my friend loves his and he gets a very nice tone out of it. I like that you recognized my preference based on the horn! I love the schilke, and actually i played a modular harrelson demo yesterday and found that it played very similar to the schilke. By the way, rowuk, i'm slightly curious, what are your preferences on horn? DJ thank for the heads up on that site, ill check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by nickpasternack View Post
    .......... By the way, rowuk, i'm slightly curious, what are your preferences on horn? DJ thank for the heads up on that site, ill check it out.
    Nick,
    the horn I love most is the one in my hands at any particular time. I spend a lot of energy trying to play more than just the right notes at the right time at the right volume and speed. I have a Br├╝ckner 4 coming up where I will use a 1938 Heckel rotary-the second player may get my Riedl low F trumpet, a bunch of Christmas Oratorios with the nat. A trumpet/organ gig with the picc, some quintet stuff with the Monette Prana3 and Getzen 4 valved flugel, a salsa gig (lead book) with the Monette and a shallower mouthpiece, some wind band stuff and a Soldiers Tale with a 1911 Holton Clarke model long cornet..........................
    Every one of my instruments (also the ones not listed above) has something special about it. I have several colleagues with similar interests so we have interesting stuff to offer.
    I don't think that there is any horn that offers a good comprimize for everything. I smile when I see players get worked up about "non-standard" equipment. It reminds me how lucky that I am being able to stretch the creative energy over more sound colors. I kind of feel sorry for the symphony guys stuck with their Yamaha or Bach C. They are really missing something.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information