Horns Discuss Which horn has the better track record? in the Equipment forums; I'm looking at getting a new horn and I was wonder which horn has the better track record? A pre-strike ...

Which horn has the better track record?

I'm looking at getting a new horn and I was wonder which horn has the better track record?

A pre-strike strad or a YTR-8335 Xeno
    King Model 601 (my favorite horn so far)
    Vincent Bach 3c and 5c
    ------------------------------------------------
    Spirit Drum and Bugle Corps 08, 09
    Choctawhatchee Stylemarchers 07,08
    ROLL TIDE!!!

Mezzo Piano User

Re: Which horn has the better track record?

It depends on what you like. They are both fine instruments. I think that the track record of Bach is longer, but again, it depends on the sound that you prefer.

I heard the Xenos get valve problems after a while
    King Model 601 (my favorite horn so far)
    Vincent Bach 3c and 5c
    ------------------------------------------------
    Spirit Drum and Bugle Corps 08, 09
    Choctawhatchee Stylemarchers 07,08
    ROLL TIDE!!!

Pianissimo User

did you hear that since you first posted at 0753 hrs?

Mezzo Piano User

IMO I LOVE my pre-strike bach, it was the same price as a new horn, but it really sings, slots well, tone color is gorgeous, great valves, and overall an excellent horn. Its my favorite horn by far, some kids in the high school I go to have xenos and they like them aswell, but try both of them, see if someone at your school will let you play on a xeno, and then see if you can get your hands on a pre-strike bach. But play different bachs, some strads are good, and some strads are outstanding.
    1970 Bach Stradivarius 37
    1970s Buescher Aristocrat-student horn
    2012 Dynasty Professional Marching Trumpet

Raiders Drum and Bugle Corps-'11, '12

Why G bugles need to come back to DCI

Other stuff:
    Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 2002
    Honda Fourtrax 300 2x4 1998
    Polaris Indy 500 1998
    Polaris 550 2-up 2007
    Polaris 800 XCR 1999 with custom suspension

I own a pre-strike Bach, a 1974 Strad with a lightweight 43 bell. I like the horn, which has take a lot of abuse from me over the years.

I'm in the market for a new horn, and have been playing as many trumpets as I can get my hands on. I've play more than a dozen Bachs in the past 9 or 10 months. (Curiously, the 4 or 5 I played at Music & Arts were all pre-strike Bachs from around 2001. They had no post-strike Bachs in house.). From my (admittedly limited) view, I didn't see any difference in the quality of the pre-strike vs. post-strike Bachs.

I also tried about a 6 or 7 Xenos (Yamaha YTR-8335RGS and YTR-8335). The 8335 had a nice "orchestral" sound for me. The 8335RGS had a richer sound, but was hard to sizzle compared to a Schilke B5 or my old strad. Also, the valves on the 3 or 4 8335RGS's I played were noisy. I don't know if that's what SpiritDCI08 was alluding to.

The advice from the other posters to try out both horns is the absolute best advice you are going to get. I have 2 Strads - a 1970 and 1967. Personally, the 67 is outstanding, the 70 good. I have heard that the newer models didn't reach the same quality of the olde ones.
    As a H.S. trumpet player, I obviously HAD to get a Bach, like all of the other top HS players. That was to "step up" over my Olds Super. Now that I am 40 years older and wiser, I realize my Olds Super was, by far, a better horn. At least, it worked for me better.

Be aware that Bachs have a reputation for inconsistency -some are fair, some good, others great. The general rule (with exceptions) is, with Bach, the older the better. Also, many folks talk about the classic "Bach" sound. While a nice sound, to me it is almost too sterile and indistinct (may not be the best word choice). I've recently gone back to Olds with 46 and 53 Olds Supers, which I greatly prefer over the Bach. The 46 Olds is literally the best horn I have ever played over 40 years, hands down.

As far as the Xenos' -give them a try too. What you want is a horn that YOU feel gives you the best sound, response, and range. The only way to find that out is by playing.

If you are worried what others might say -either horn is going to be considered a good pro horn. Both have strong followings. While you really can't go wrong with either choice, one might be a slightly better decision over the other.

Steve
    Bach Strads 67, 70
    Olds Supers, 46, 53, 62
    Olds Recording 52

New Friend

I took delivery of a new Yamaha Xeno 8335G today in lacquer and, after owning many Bach's, I'll have to say that the Yamaha is a better horn in my opinion. Its easy to play, has an outstanding tone, and valves like butter. It does have a nice orchestral sound but, I have found that it really sizzles with the right mouthpiece. Slotting is incredible too.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRicks View Post
    The advice from the other posters to try out both horns is the absolute best advice you are going to get.
    Ditto. The real question is what is the best horn for you. Try out as many horns as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritDCI08 View Post
    I heard the Xenos get valve problems after a while
    You heard wrong.

Don't buy on single facets. VulganoBrother has often said that the horn will find the player. Play anything that you can get your hands on. Then you can make an intelligent decision instead of an internet one...............
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information