Horns Discuss Horns used in Division I College Marching Bands in the Equipment forums; This being the Bowl season, you see all these wonderful Marching Bands from these bowl teams. It seems they all ...

Horns used in Division I College Marching Bands

This being the Bowl season, you see all these wonderful Marching Bands from these bowl teams. It seems they all have the same "brand" instruments and appear exactly idenitical. If a program decides they want to go with silver horns, everyone has a silver horn- all the way through the lower brass including the Sausaphones.

For example, Wisconsin has all silver instruments (the brass ones), and Oregon has yellow brass-
    Does anyone know if the instruments are part of the Scholarship package and the students are provided with these instruments?
    It would only be fair, after all the football team doesn't have to bring their own uniforms and equipment from home, right?
    The reason I ask is because it's a rare thing to see any of these major University Bands with mismatched instruments, and it would be rather unfair to ask the students to purchase instruments that matched everyone else's.
    BigDub
    Getzen Eterna 900
    Bach TR300
    '65 Sears Roebuck Catalog (super blessing, My Idaho practice horn)

Gmonady's UTIMATE Editor
    Why do I still practice every day after playing for 50 years? Because I'm making progress, I'm making progress!
    http://waynemathisenstudio.artistwebsites.com/

Banned Fortissimo User

Re: Horns used in Division I College Marching Bands

I got talking to Mark Kindy about this, he was issued a Yamaha 4335S along with all of the other trumpets. He doesnt get to keep the trumpet though. Maybe Mark or someone else can say some more.

Hmmm ... I don't know the answer to your question ... what I do know is that the Ohio State University Marching Band (TBDBITL) requires that specific instruments are used and they are listed on their website in the past (I had been helping a friend who played Euphonium with some lessons and he wanted to play at OSU, so when we looked up audition requirements it mentioned the type of Euph that was to be used) ... I assumed the player needed to show up with the right horn. The audition info that I saw is currently not posted (that I can find) ... but I'm sure others will know more.
    Blaine - The Brass Hurricane
    change the world here: http://blainekelley.com/donateabible.html

Romeo Adaci Referenz / Edwards Gen 3X

Banned Fortissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by cyber_shake View Post
    ... but I'm sure others will know more.
    Delegation

Quote Originally Posted by BigDub View Post
    This being the Bowl season, you see all these wonderful Marching Bands from these bowl teams. It seems they all have the same "brand" instruments and appear exactly idenitical. If a program decides they want to go with silver horns, everyone has a silver horn- all the way through the lower brass including the Sausaphones.
    To answer your question, yes they do. Big schools, especially division one, require everyone to use the same instrument. Many factors come into play, including projection, sound, tuning, and others, which is why most schools do so. Various horns make it somewhat difficult to blend. Yes, every player sounds differently and mouthpieces also play into it but horns is one they can control.
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart

Piano User

All I know is I saw Oregon marching in the Rose Parade today, and they all looked like they were going to Walmart.....sweats and ball caps. I thought it was a disgrace. ...I didn't pay too much attention to them at all after that.
    I mean, the lowest elementary school band has more class and dignity than that.

Wisconsin on the other hand, ROCKED.

New Friend

I believe that many NCAA Division I Marching bands have an endorsement with a particular company. The students then "rent" these horns from the school for a very reasonable price for the season, or it is included in their individual scholarship program. For instance, Kansas State will show up at the Cotton Bowl with an all-Jupiter all-silver-plated brass section. Go Cats...
    Kanstul 1531 Cornet

Holton T161 C
    Conn Constellation Bb (38B)
    LA Benge Bb
    Paris Leblanc Symphonie Cornet
    Paris LeBlanc Symphonie II Trumpet
    Paris Leblanc Al Hirt

Quote Originally Posted by ConnArtist View Post
    I believe that many NCAA Division I Marching bands have an endorsement with a particular company.
    Yes, you are right about that. They do it in DCI too, Phantom got endorsed by Jupiter, and I hate to say this but the change was dramatic, and not in a good way.
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart

Thread Information