Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Horns Discuss The Indiana Elkhart, IND. in the Equipment forums; New to the group, so please excuse me if I'm not following protocol... Does anyone have information on the following: ...

The Indiana Elkhart, IND.

New to the group, so please excuse me if I'm not following protocol...

Does anyone have information on the following:

The Indiana (in Script)
    ELKHART, IND.
    USA

The horn is in really nice shape. I'm looking for my son who's just starting out, but I don't want him "learning" on one of mine. S/N 32158.

Horn-u-copia.net has one similar, supposedly dating to the 50's, with a S/N 50xxx. Could I be looking at something special?

Thanks for any insight you may have.
    Olds Studio Trumpet
    Getzen Capri Trumpet
    Reynolds Contempora Marching Trombone

Re: The Indiana Elkhart, IND.

Welcome to the forum. You pose an interesting question. All I know about them is from horn-u-copia also and some discussions. I saw a note in the Martin History that the Indiana , after 1942, was a student line of Martin and apparently had similarities with the Committee, as mentioned in the section with the picture of the trumpet you mentioned. Way back there was an Indiana Muscial Instrument company before 1920 and the Indiana Band Instrument co from 24-28, which was bought by Martin, I believe.

There is an old Indiana cornet on ebay, with the indian head on the bell,
    serial 23605 , ebay 180286952670.

There is a trombone described as vintage the indiana for $29.95 BIN, but no good photo of the bell. #170259751212.

I don't know of an independant serial lists for the Martin INdiana .
    Maybe you could post pics from out side source, like Flickr or Photobucket. Sounds like a good quality horn for the time . I doubt if it is of special monetary value. Maybe someone else will chime in.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Thanks for any info.. Seemingly a pretty obscure item. Maybe a cheap copy?

Here are some pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Olds Studio Trumpet
    Getzen Capri Trumpet

lmf
    Forte User

PurpleVike,

There are old horns that have extreme monetary value. Other older horns do not!

There are older horns that have "personal value" to the owner, because they are horns from "days gone by" and are cherished. These folks do not wish to sell them, only collect, display or play them for personal enjoyment.

I say this to you as a reminder that though a horn my not have large resale value, it has "value" in the heart of its owner who is may not be looking to sell it. The owner wants to own something tangible from the past which he/she deems valuable.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Lloyd's views are right one. Thanks for the pics. I would agree it looks like the one on Huc and would certainly be a good horn for a student and many others. I play mostly"student" horns of various vintages and they are perfectly adequate for a number of levels of playing.

Hope he does well . You will note there is no 3rd slide ring or saddle on this horn. Back then, many were made with elongated 3rd slides to compensate for the trumpet's normal "problem" notes such as C# and D natural, without the need to compensate much. I have horns with that design and it works well. Sometimes I will pull out the 3rd slide 1/4" or so for a little "edge".
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    www.PSCB.Soull.com

Thank you both for your insight. I decided to go with a name I've come to know and trust. I found a real clean Ambassador for him to play. Hopefully he'll stick with it. Crooked teeth, and braces in the future!

In case anyone else is interested, the horn is still available on the Denver Craigslist. $100. I haven't seen it up close, but the price seems right.

Thanks again.
    Olds Studio Trumpet
    Getzen Capri Trumpet

Ok, Ambassador is a good choice. I sure like mine. Have only had the trumpet a few weeks. $100 for the Indiana is a fair price, I agree. Please come back to the forum if you have any other concerns.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    www.PSCB.Soull.com

My name is Chris and my Grandfather Fred Holtz was President of Martin Band Instruments thru the 30's and 40's. He joined the Company in 1920 as Sales Manager. Despite other common information on the web, in 1928, Martin's owner and G.M. Orville Bassett and my Grandad created The Indiana Band Instrument Company in an effort to market their product to a wider audience. Though primarily a paper company, IBICO was a channel for horns, made in the Martin plant by the same craftsmen who produced the Martin Committee, targetted to those not able to afford the high end product. Conn did the same with their Pan American line, and likewise, Buescher with Elkhart Band Instruments. Generally, rather than a lower quality horn, these instruments were retired models from prior years brought back to life and sold a a lower cost. The Indiana line used a separate serial number ledger than the Martin-labeled horns. This ledger can be seen here: "The Martin Story - Serialnumberlist" under the 'range2' category. I should add that, in 1942 as the plant was switched over to war production, Martin dropped the Indiana Band Instrument Company label and tagged the postwar horns as "Indiana by Martin". The line continued, however, into the 60's until the failed purchase by RMC in 1963. I do not know if under the Wurlitzer name, any further Indiana production went forward.

Your serial indicates it was made either during WWII or in the early postwar years.
    Last edited by Head2wind; 10-05-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    Vulgano Brother and Pat S like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Head2wind View Post
    My name is Chris and my Grandfather Fred Holtz was President of Martin Band Instruments thru the 30's and 40's. He joined the Company in 1921 as Sales Manager. Despite other common information on the web, in 1928, Martin's owner and G.M. Orville Bassett and my Grandad created The Indiana Band Instrument Company in an effort to market their product to a wider audience. Though primarily a paper company, IBICO was a channel for horns, made in the Martin plant by the same craftsmen who produced the Martin Committee, targetted to those not able to afford the high end product. Conn did the same with their Pan American line, and likewise, Buescher with Elkhart Band Instruments. Generally, rather than a lower quality horn, these instruments were retired models from prior years brought back to life and sold a a lower cost. The Indiana (later Indiana Chieftan)line used a separate serial number ledger than the Martin-labeled horns. This ledger can be seen here: "The Martin Story - Serialnumberlist" under the 'range2' category. I should add that, in 1942 as the plant was switched over to war production, Martin dropped the Indiana Band Instrument Company label and tagged the postwar horns as "Indiana by Martin". The line continued, however, into the 60's until the failed purchase by RMC in 1963. I do not know if under the Wurlitzer name, any further Indiana production went forward.

Your serial indicates it was made either during WWII or in the early postwar years.
    Hi,

Thank you for your post. There is a lot of interest about the older horns and companies so your knowledge will be a great benefit here. It would be great to get as much down about these old horns and their manufacture before the original sources are all gone. I think you will get a great deal of interest if you share such info here.
    patkins and CristiC like this.
    Steve
    Olds Supers, LA (1953), Ful. (1962)
    Olds Recording, LA (1952)
    Olds Studio, LA (1953)
    Olds Special, Ful. (1964)
    Olds Ambassador, LA (1954)
    Olds Ambassador, Ful. (1973)
    Bach Strads 37-(1967, 1970, 1974, 1982)
    Bach Strad 72 MLV (1973), 72* (1982)
    Kanstul 1500 (2002), 1502 (2008), 1503 (2002)
    Kanstul 1537 (2007), 991 (2010)
    Kanstul Chicago (2000)
    King Liberty (1929,1929)
    King Liberty 2 (1938, 1944)
    King Liberty 2b (1950)
    J.H. Darby 45 USA
    Holton (Revelation) 1924
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn

New Friend

Hi, My husband found an old trombone in an old building while on a job. On the bell it says The Indiana. I couldn't find any info until I found this site. The number on it is 38448. So it must be really old I'm thinking before WWII if what I read above is true. Can anyone tell me any more about the age of it? or what it might be worth at auction. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information