Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
Horns Discuss Intermediate Trumpets in the Equipment forums; Hey all, It's been about six and a half years since I began playing the trumpet, and all these years ...

Intermediate Trumpets

Hey all,

It's been about six and a half years since I began playing the trumpet, and all these years on my Yamaha YTR-200AD student model. I feel I've nearly reached the pinnacle of what I can do on this model, and upgrading will give me a tremendous boost on my abilities for future university band camps and college. I previously tried out a Jean Paul TR-430 "intermediate" trumpet, but I didn't seem to be making any headway with it after around two weeks (plus, it was only $299.95 on Amazon, so...).

So, for the past several weeks, I've done research on what the best intermediate models out there are. It rounded down to these five brands/models:

I.) King Silver Flair
    II.) Stomvi Zenith
    III.) Bach TR200
    IV.) Getzen 590/590-S Capri or Eterna Series models
    V.) Yamaha YTR-4325 or Yamaha YTR-4335GII

I formerly considered the Yamaha model(s), as I would hardly need to familiarize myself with a new model of the same brand, but my mind's now more on the 590 Capri, because of its (rumored) silky-smooth valves and its first-valve trigger for greater ease of low C#/D intonation. At this point, cost is almost completely eliminated as an issue, so the only concern is if the general best model is in silver lacquer finish (I don't prefer silver as much as the next guy, but I'll take what I can get).

Thus, my final question: what do you guys think is the brand that would pay off the most among these five? Feel free to consider any brands outside of this, all opinions are accepted, and there's no wrong answers. Thanks. :)

Trumpets:

Yamaha YTR-200AD Student Model
    Mendini MPT-L Pocket Trumpet

Mouthpieces:

Mendini 7C
    Yamaha 11B4 (default)
    Yamaha 7A4 GP Heavyweight Custom Series

Re: Intermediate Trumpets

IMHO, intermediate horns are waste of money. It will be a little better than your student horn, but not much. However, some of the Getzen Eternas can really sing and zing. I would go for a professional horn, but you need to test them, to make sure that you get a good horn that SUITS YOU.
    Nerf, J. Jericho and gwood66 like this.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Hi BrassMaverick,

I have not said "Hi" before, so "Hi, and Welcome to TM" -

Your List...
    I.) King Silver Flair
    II.) Stomvi Zenith
    III.) Bach TR200
    IV.) Getzen 590/590-S Capri or Eterna Series models
    V.) Yamaha YTR-4325 or Yamaha YTR-4335GII

I played a Yamaha YTR-4335 very recently, and was surprised at how well it played. It was around AUD$1000, which was good value here. It played very similar to a 6335, so I feel it is only an Intermediate in price. I would happily play that horn anywhere if I had one.

The Getzen valve quality, and the unbeatable warranty would give it the edge IMO,

Bach 200 - no step up here.

Silver Flair - these play very well, and really a good horn for Marching band, and I like them.

Stomvi Zenith - I have not played one yet, so have to hold any comment.

So my list would be -
    a. Go visit as many Music stores with your mouthpiece in your pocket. Go play all and decide for yourself what suits you best.

OK, my list in order of preference:

1. Getzen Capri
    2. Yamaha 4335
    3. King Silver Flair
    4. Stomvi Zenith - with the proviso that it may shift my opinion in the list, once I get to play one.
    5. Bach TR200.

Good hunting
    trumpetnick and True Tone like this.
    Peter

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Hi. Opinions are highly subjective, so here is mine for what it is worth. Your question about what brand would "pay off the most" is a bit unclear, but if you are looking for lasting value and re-salability then any Getzen model will fill the bill. If you are looking for superior playability and build quality then any Getzen model will fill the bill. If you are looking for unmatched respect in the industry and customer brand loyalty then any Getzen model will fill the bill. Get my point? Sometimes I'm accused of being too subtle.

The Capri is a great intermediate trumpet, but I encourage you to examine the blurry line into the "pro" arena with the 700 and 900 models. Don't have your heart set on the first valve trigger, most players realize that it isn't a big deal to use the first or third slide with the hook or saddle for intonation. You don't see them widely used today and its ok to not have one. Let me be the first to welcome you to the wonderful world of Getzen. You're home now. You wont be leaving anytime soon. What took you so long? Best wishes.
    Fluegel-Boy and True Tone like this.
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1923
    Concertone, Czech made, pre war
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

Thanks for the information, guys. I would have never considered a step-up model to possibly be the trumpeter's step in the wrong direction. But if anything, looking for a quality horn that's also appraised at a decent price, it's all narrowed down to either the Getzen 900S Eterna or the 907S Proteus for me.

P.S. larry, you made my day with your post. lol

Trumpets:

Yamaha YTR-200AD Student Model
    Mendini MPT-L Pocket Trumpet

Mouthpieces:

Mendini 7C
    Yamaha 11B4 (default)
    Yamaha 7A4 GP Heavyweight Custom Series

I never played either the proteus model. But would go too for the Getzen, if test is not possible.
    Fluegel-Boy likes this.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Thanks for the kind words.

As for the 900S Eterna Classic and the 907S Proteus there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference except that the Proteus is a modern design and the Eterna Classic is a "re-issue" of the Severinsen. I have a friend who has a Proteus and in side to side comparison they look alike on the outside. I ordered my Eterna with the optional lever action water keys because I don't think the amatos do a good enough job of keeping the water drained out so besides the engraving on the bell, they look like twins. When we swapped and played them, yes there does seem to be some subtle difference but it is small. We both went away from the experience feeling sure that we had chosen the right trumpet. That was a good thing. I think both are great candidates for you, as they say, your mileage may vary. Best wishes.
    Fluegel-Boy and True Tone like this.
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1923
    Concertone, Czech made, pre war
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

Pianissimo User

I have owned the, TR300, the Yamaha 4335G silver, a yamaha ytr-2320 and recently acquired a Bach Stradivarius 43 ML silver. I could tell distinct differences between the TR300 and the others. The Yamaha ytr=2320 is amazingly great tone and hits the notes across the registers. the Yamaha 4335 was amazing to play. It found the notes so easily. The Strad 43 and yamaha 4335 for normal ranges performed very similarly for me. I sold the 4335 because i didn't play it enough to justify owning it. I settled on playing around with the Bach TR300 since it worked for me. I could definitely tell a difference in quality and playing between it and the Yamaha YTR-2320. I upgraded to the Bach Stradivarius two days ago because my neighbor finally decided it was time to let it go. I told him 15 years ago i would be interested if he ever wanted to sell it to me. And this week he told me he was ready to let it go. He told me he paid $500 a couple of decades ago and that's all he charged me for it two days ago. I'm 51, he watched me grow up since I was 12. It was a beautiful day. So, If you are really going for this, get the 4335 or get a Strad if you can get a smoking deal on one.
    True Tone likes this.

Pianissimo User

methinks "intermediate" trumpets are just a marketing ploy...

I'd Just save up for a real good pro horn and call it a day.
    trumpetnick likes this.
    Trying to figure this trumpet thing out

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMaverick View Post
    Thanks for the information, guys. I would have never considered a step-up model to possibly be the trumpeter's step in the wrong direction. But if anything, looking for a quality horn that's also appraised at a decent price, it's all narrowed down to either the Getzen 900S Eterna or the 907S Proteus for me.

P.S. larry, you made my day with your post. lol
    So we have gone from best Intermediate to a Getzen Eterna 900S

Sort of like talking about Formula Vee, and then I've narrowed it to an F1 Ferrari .... I am a little confused. Getzen Eterna 900S just does not go with the thread - it is a Pro horn.

Hey, I like mine, but would never throw it into a mix of Intermediates with the initial list you stated.
    Anyways, dream on
    trumpetnick and johnande like this.
    Peter

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information